Airfix 1/72 sea king helicopter( New model)

skiny

Had a look inside the box n thought oh this looks nice,so made a start before dinner.Bit fiddly putting the seats in but got them in the end, colours arnt a perfect match but close enough.Fittings are quite good ,so far so good,(famous last words)
32019739466_917ab076d4_b.jpgsunday (3) by skellitor59, on Flickr

32019739876_4f757d2698_b.jpgsunday (2) by skellitor59, on Flickr

32019740466_e04280ccfb_h.jpgsunday (1) by skellitor59, on Flickr

Good start Skiny, I assume you're building an HC.4?

I'd be interested in the reference photos you used, if any? I'm just starting out on my HC.4 and all the photos I've found so far seem to show blue seats.

The walkaround on the HC.4 is well worth a look if you haven't already seen it:

17 hours ago, Ragtag said:

Good start Skiny, I assume you're building an HC.4?

I'd be interested in the reference photos you used, if any? I'm just starting out on my HC.4 and all the photos I've found so far seem to show blue seats.

The walkaround on the HC.4 is well worth a look if you haven't already seen it:

Its was supposed to be the helicopter prince Andrew flown in the south Atlantic sea King HAS.5 (XZ574) BUT as i couldnt get one, i opted,for a later model on hopefully "add on "the bits n pieces (big bulbus thing on top, flotes.)no reference photos as such except  the one,s on google from the fleet air arm. yes a lot of the seats are blue but theres a verity of colours used in the sea kings.french blue is the colour stipulated in the instrucktions and as i have a limited budget and range of colours i used what colour i saw in a photo on google.Not the best way for accuracy but its the  nearest one to french blue.For what you can see from the outside its not that important IMHO.

Ah I see, I'll be interested to see how you convert this to the HAS.5 spec then - I'm just about to start converting one to an HU.5 myself. :)

Does that mean you've used the HAR.3 Search and Rescue Starter Set as your base model?

2 hours ago, Ragtag said:

Ah I see, I'll be interested to see how you convert this to the HAS.5 spec then - I'm just about to start converting one to an HU.5 myself. :)

Does that mean you've used the HAR.3 Search and Rescue Starter Set as your base model?

Just the HAS 4 with the green n white jungle stripes.Got a small bottle top for the thing on top ,(I cant remember what the hell it is now) and two nebulizer nodules ( they look about right)  for the floats /pontoons ,

not sure of other bits n pieces i will need.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, skiny said:

Just the HAS 4 with the green n white jungle stripes.Got a small bottle top for the thing on top ,(I cant remember what the hell it is now) and two nebulizer nodules ( they look about right)  for the floats /pontoons ,

not sure of other bits n pieces i will need.

That'll be the sea searcher radar lol

Managed to get an hour in on the sea king this afternoon.All dry fitted ,check,every thing in position ,check, glue check,tape up,check sit down for an hour,check remove tape ,check disaster strikes,check.Well what can i say ,i know it was going to well.Right behind the engines (image 1 and 3) a small part had sprung up and dried hard creating a step.and small gap at the back of the engine encasment(image 2),hay ho thats modeling for you.i shall whittle away at it in the morning ,get filled in and try n make some pontoons for this(any ideas would be welcome)

31732194990_a78290c574_h.jpgmonday (1) by skellitor59, on Flickr

31266183904_786a3bbe80_b.jpgmonday (2) by skellitor59, on Flickr

31732194630_44e7ad4c9b_k.jpgmonday (3) by skellitor59, on Flickr

31959119502_ae34586086_k.jpgmonday (4) by skellitor59, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Oh dear,painting and decorating was my second trade and i could spend all day happily painting animals ships,cars ,on walls.Done a few models after a 40 year break last year,Vulcan,Harrier and Victor.Not as good as some on this site but better than i expected with having disablitys now and fading health(poor eyesight, shakes through drugs "priscription drugs" i may add),.Iv used spray in the past n touched up with the hairy stick and this is my 1st attempt at fully painting a model with a brush.WELL I dont think this is a very good start even though its a 1st coat of green.Not sure weather its brushes( tried different ones)hombrol paints,or what but it looks like a 5 year olds been let loose in a paint shop.I,ll give it a couple more coats but me thinks it will be stripped back and will go back to what i know.

32230279195_be9054a171_k.jpgIMG_1585 by skellitor59, on Flickr

31420102653_515487f56c_k.jpgIMG_1586 by skellitor59, on Flickr

32230277215_7ebe8532c9_k.jpgIMG_1588 by skellitor59, on Flickr

31420102253_734935dbff_k.jpgIMG_1589 by skellitor59, on Flickr

I think earlier Skiny said it was going to be a HAS.5 (XZ574) but with that radome maybe plans have changed :shrug:

Skiny: a couple of pics in this article for you of the time period you're looking for: http://www.aviation-pictures.co.uk/sea-king-has-5-xz574/ (you'll have to look behind some bloke that got in the way of the shot though - who does he think he is?) :D

• Like 1