The not so "quickie" Mustang, Hobby Boss P-51D

Greg in OK

The complete story of the not so quickie Hobby Boss P-51D Mustang build.

I started this build because the Academy P-51A was taking longer than I had planned,  The delays weren't the models fault but mine, as I spent to much time making little, pointless items more "perfect".

So I decided to make a quick build of the HobbyBoss P-51D so that I could be sure that I would get something done for this Mustang Group Build.

Picking an easy model and an easy (all metal) paint scheme insured that I could get it done fast, SO fast that my first photos included a clock. 

IMG_0156_zpsczpuwvyv.jpg

The clock was there because I had the hope that with a simple kit and a simple paint job I could get this kit finished in 24 hours.  As it turned out I was off a bit on that estimate.

IMG_0162_zpscodeapl6.jpg

With the clock ticking I jumped into the kit.  Then I make my first mistake, I chose these decals.

IMG_0167_zps2kfejztd.jpg

In theory, the Carpena decals for the Somali Air Force would be perfect.  All  done in silver paint (the Somali Mustangs started our as USAAF Mustangs in the Med., post Italy's capitulation they were transferred in a rather weary condition to the Italian AF.  After a few years service in the Italian AF they were sold to Somalia.  (I suspect that either Italy threw in a free coat of paint with the deal or Somalia painted them silver upon receipt, but I have no proof, I am just guessing on that one).  Painted silver (including the spinner) with an Olive Drab nose panel the simple Somali markings would make decaling the model a breeze.

Unless, of course, the decals shattered.  With great care I got the first two roundels on but the more complex "2" shattered.  So I set the model aside looking like this which was pretty advanced for the few hours invested in the build.

IMG_0173_zpsxa7l14d5.jpg

Now the clock slows down...a lot...  Turns out no other airforce makes a a "2" that looks like the Somali "2" or is the same size as the Somali "2".  I spent several evenings looking, checking all the decals I have (and I do have a lot of decals)  and I found nothing. Finally I admitted that I would need a replacement set of decals and off I went to EvilBay while the clock ticked on my "24 hour" build.....

Graced with a little luck (or backed into a corner enough that I couldn't really afford to wait for a bargain) I got a second set and promptly coated them with gloss clear to strengthen the decal. 

But the Carpena Decals weren't my only decal issue, I had also decided to save painting time by using a solid olive drab decal for the nose.  Great idea!  Didn't work at all...  Sticking in some spots and bubbling up in others I cut and then sand the nose decal off.

IMG_0335_zpsdwugbojh.jpg

So I painted the nose after removing the decal, BUT I had decided that leave the exhaust stacks off so they wouldn't get in the way when I masked the nose.  They would, or could, have been a good decision had I not made a hamfisted whoops with the glue which spilled into the painted olive drab and dissolved part of it away. 

IMG_0374_zpsx2bbdpif.jpg

More cleaning - More Masking - More Time, and finally my "24 hours" Mustang is done...in 23 DAYS.....

IMG_0809_zpsslgomzyj.jpg

Greg in OK

• Like 1