Is this true? No "modern" injection kit of a single seater Venom available?

WildeSau75

Exactly,  and as such it only had to pay the production and distribution cost, as the mould had earned its living by 1974, probably - and was bought as part of an asset package  (probably ) three times, so will likely have not much book value if any left. So the number needed for any given project under kit starter will likely be (have been) much lower than for a new tool,  and I think Hornby did not communicate this number - or did they? (O/t, but they should have monitored eBay prices to determine which kits warrant inclusion - most Airfix kits in collectible packaging can be had significantly cheaper on ebay than current reissues actually or potentially cost).

Don't know why people always have to think of Airfix...

Airfix is a big name in the industry, it's quite unlikely that they would do such a work for a third party. Unless... they are at the moment one of the most active plastic model companies in the social media world, starting a similar program for modellers may be something that an innovative company may try. They tried the Kitstarter program, not sure if this has really been a success but they tried. Of course here we're talking something very different though.

Failing that however, it's unlikely that any large manufacturer would make a kit for a united group of modellers who provide the funding. This kind of work is more in line with smaller manufactuters. Most important, this is a kind of job for a company that can produce their own kits! Airfix doesn't have this kind of facilities, they do the research but the plastic kits are made by other companies under contract.

Companies that have sure supplied this kind of service in the past are some of the Czech names, a couple of Japanese companies, some Korean ones, several Chinese ones. Some of these companies may be relatively little known to the general public but produce for better known names. For some of these companies making plastic kits for third parties is their main job, they would have no problem in making a new kit of a Venom or anything else as long as someone seals a contract with them with the right amount of money.

Clearly collecting money and asking a manufacturer would not be enough, as there are a lot of other aspects to consider, financial and legal. But it can sure be done, at least if an adequate number of modellers is serious about such a venture. And this is where I feel that the whole idea would collapse before even taking shape....

• Like 2

I think the reason why people automatically think Airfix, in this case at least, is because we are talking about a British subject and it is therefore people's natural assumption that it would be right up Airfix's street.

Personally, I think it's just the sort of thing that Special Hobby would tackle.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, T7 Models said:

Unfortunately the Venom is not on the radar at Airfix presently...:rant:

Attention: Mr Jan Polc,

The above message has been typed for you to read?

Kind regards, 

The "I want Venom" modelling community.. (aka Dave and 1000 others) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, viscount806x said:

You're aircraft is a disgrace sailor.....

.....and go and put on a proper pair of pants !! 

Hope you & your girls are doing well Steve.. Happy New Year!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

To crowd source you'd need:

• Designer (preferably versed in CAD)
  • Mold cutter
  • Artist (for the decals)
  • At least two other folks I can't think of right now
  • And a great set of accurate engineering plans, plus preferably access to an actual aircraft that is not on the other side of the world

A single seat, single engine jet in 1/72 injected plastic would have to be priced less than £20 or too many Modelers who believe it's a must have will balk. Presuming the cost of time to design and cut a mold plus all the artwork is about £15,000 (I'm guessing) and production of the kit from the mold including decals, instructions and a box with rudimentary box art is £15 per kit, minimum 5,000 production. That's £90,000 for 5,000 kits us shipped to the modeler. Get 5,000 Modelers to pony up that £20 per kit and it's about break even (need to figure out how to get the kit to the modeler and manage the process to be successful). 

Yes, the next 1,000 kits are showing some profit, but how many kits will be sold, and is there a fatal flaw that kills the project or the risk taker when it comes to this or future efforts?  Yes, somebody like an Airfix would be preferable, if they can take the risk, but right now they can't or won't due to Hornby. 

The idea is tempting, but we Modelers can be brutal if the effort isn't to a very high quality. 

My apologies for the cynicism. 

• Like 4

On ‎07‎.‎01‎.‎2017 at 2:02 PM, Wez said:

I think the reason why people automatically think Airfix, in this case at least, is because we are talking about a British subject and it is therefore people's natural assumption that it would be right up Airfix's street.

Personally, I think it's just the sort of thing that Special Hobby would tackle.

This, and because we do already have a Vampire from Airfix and no other major vendor did put out so many quality kits in so little time. But indeed we did see Vampires from Special Hobby as well - and if we get a Venom from them in the quality of their Vampires, we would all be happy I guess.

And I think sooner or later we will see a Venom being done - be it from whoever. And this probably much earlier than we gone see a crowd founding financed one.

Cheers,

Michael

On 8/1/2017 at 0:05 AM, Greenshirt said:

• Mold cutter
  • And a great set of accurate engineering plans, plus preferably access to an actual aircraft that is not on the other side of the world

A single seat, single engine jet in 1/72 injected plastic would have to be priced less than £20 or too many Modelers who believe it's a must have will balk. Presuming the cost of time to design and cut a mold plus all the artwork is about £15,000 (I'm guessing) and production of the kit from the mold including decals, instructions and a box with rudimentary box art is £15 per kit, minimum 5,000 production. That's £90,000 for 5,000 kits us shipped to the modeler. Get 5,000 Modelers to pony up that £20 per kit and it's about break even (need to figure out how to get the kit to the modeler and manage the process to be successful). 

Yes, the next 1,000 kits are showing some profit, but how many kits will be sold, and is there a fatal flaw that kills the project or the risk taker when it comes to this or future efforts?  Yes, somebody like an Airfix would be preferable, if they can take the risk, but right now they can't or won't due to Hornby. 

The idea is tempting, but we Modelers can be brutal if the effort isn't to a very high quality. 

To me this sound not cynicism but good old realism ! All very good points that go to show how much work is involved in such ventures.

I can think of at least another dozen issues that have not been mentioned, so I'd say that some sort of crowdfunding is not going to happen.

Regarding who will ever do a Venom, I'm surprised that Special Hobby has not done one yet, this is the kind of subject that I'd have expected from them, more so as they seem to have covered many British types. As CMR issued a beautiful resin kit, someone must have already done some research on the type in that part of the world.

In the meantime I may have sourced another Aeroclub kit, wonder if I should build both now or sell one

• Like 2

On 08.01.2017 at 2:05 AM, Greenshirt said:

• Mold cutter

It is simpler to order a casting mold of short-run in Ukraine *, to cast in the same place, instructions for assembly, decal, etching, resin optionally - it is possible to make in the same place, and it is possible also in other countries. Here the question only available of exact and detailed drawings, will cost short-run a form at 8-10 times cheaper than a form of high pressure.
As an example, model of the Mirage III-V from Modelsvit.
However I personally put on emergence of model from AZ-models! 
(Let's predict!🤒)
Because many Czech models  resin from Planet Models and CMR were made in short-run from AZ-models, namely: Gotha P-60C**, Attacker.
But it is quite possible that after model from AZ-model also the model from Special Hobby can appear as we observe it with model AMD Super Mystere B.2 which is produced AZ - models and which is done now by Special Hobby is issued.
(......... Czech internal corporate wars probably such corporate! 😄)

B.R.

Serge

P.S. 

However I personally quite accept also геsin model from CMR. Therefore I don't understand about what this topic?! 🤔😆

* - but here before an investment of money it is necessary to realize risks of possible instability in general. 
**- at P-60C resin from Planet Models  and AZ-models even defects of a surface are identical !🤔😲

On 04/01/2017 at 0:03 PM, Giorgio N said:

Not sure how sought after they may be, based on what I've seen them selling for and what I paid mine I'd say that £20 would get one.

One went for £19 + p&p on Ebay yesterday

John

20 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Fascinating how my daughters review has lots of my photo's my manuals and my flipping aeroplane, perhaps its time she was banned from the shed <_<

19 minutes ago, T7 Models said:

It has one too many seats.

And far too big a nose.

Watch it! 

• Like 2