Is this true? No "modern" injection kit of a single seater Venom available?

WildeSau75

1 hour ago, dalea said:

Shake the moths out of the wallet and buy a resin one

Nope, I hate resin kits. Horrible material for complete kits, especially jets.

In the meantime, it's not a huge conversion to cross kit the old Frog SeaVenom and A Vampire fuselage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dalea said:

Shake the moths out of the wallet and buy a resin one

Which is fine if you only ever want to make just one of the respective types but not if you want to make several of these really colourful and attractive jets.

1 hour ago, Dave Fleming said:

Nope, I hate resin kits. Horrible material for complete kits, especially jets.

In the meantime, it's not a huge conversion to cross kit the old Frog SeaVenom and A Vampire fuselage.

Which again only if you want just the one Venom but with so many attractive colour schemes why stop at one?

We really deserve to have a modern, mainstream, injection moulded Venom in 1/72nd AND 1/48th!

• Like 5

While I'm the lucky owner of an Aeroclub 1/72 kit I would not object to a new 1/72 single seat Venom. I'm not sure of what all those colour schemes mentioned in the thread were though ! I remember RAF camo, swiss Camo, Swiss and Venezuale silver and the Iraqi desert camo. And IIRC an overall white RAF aircraft. Compared to say the Hunter I can't really see much choice, let alone when comparing with types like Phantoms and MiGs...

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, John_W said:

Isn't he a character in "Spiderman"?

If we are doing twin booms, I want a Cessna 02.

There are at least kits of that out there (Airfix, Arrii). No mainstream injection Venom single seater in 1/72 for 60 years.

Surprised SH hasn't done it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, perdu said:

I Sea what you did there Steve

:)

When its time to march on their offices I'll be there, we need decent versions of all the dH twin boomers

Ready when you are 

_3306719_zps7520bce0.jpg

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, SovereignHobbies said:

I have an unstarted Aeroclub 1/72 DH Venom single seater kit too. It's quite nice but is a limited run style kit with injection moulded parts. Are these particularly sought after?

Not sure how sought after they may be, based on what I've seen them selling for and what I paid mine I'd say that £20 would get one.

• Like 1

Hello

Perhaps lack of mainstream 1/72 Venom single-seater kits is due to unclear information about this aircraft? While browsing through books and the web I noticed that stated Venom FB.4 length varies from 31 ft 10 in to 33 ft. It is hardly any better with a wingspan. I do not mind data discrepancies of an inch or two but 14 scale inches more or less is quite noticeable, even in 1/72. Cheers

Jure

Edited by Jure Miljevic
missing word added

4 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello

Perhaps lack of mainstream 1/72 Venom single-seater kits is due to unclear information about this aircraft? While browsing through books and the web I noticed that stated Venom FB.4 length varies from 31 ft 10 in to 33 ft. It is hardly any better with a wingspan. I do not mind data discrepancies of an inch or two but 14 scale inches more or less is quite noticeable, even in 1/72. Cheers

Jure

As per AP.4335D Volume 1 Venom FB.4 General & Technical information:

Overall length - 33 feet

Wingspan - 41 feet 8 inches

Tail plane span - 13 feet 8 inches

Height - 6 feet 8 inches ( static)

Wheel track - 11 feet 3 inches

• Like 2

Hi Steve

Thank you very much for these information. I am glad you also provided height, tail plane span and track. Both length and wingspan dimensions were among information I found, but tidbits, gathered from who knows how many sources are one thing, and Air Publication is something completely different. I take wingspan is over tanks without winglets, found on some Venom's tip tanks? Does AP perhaps also provide wing chord at the root and on the tip? Cheers

Jure

20 minutes ago, shatters said:

Well I've done my bit, been on the airfix suggestion page requesting Venoms and single seat vampires in 1/72. Can't do any harm if anyone that wants one does the same.

Phil

Good man!  Well done!  How about posting a link? 

13 hours ago, shatters said:

Well I've done my bit, been on the airfix suggestion page requesting Venoms and single seat vampires in 1/72. Can't do any harm if anyone that wants one does the same.

Phil

Hi Phil, that's great - hope everybody who is interested in getting a decent Venom will do the same.

Cheers,

Michael

Here the link to the Airfix page where you can place your wish.

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/contact

Under "enquiry type" you can choose "product suggestion".

Hope many of you guys use this option to let Airfix know what we want.

Cheers,

Michael

• Like 3

5 hours ago, WildeSau75 said:

Here the link to the Airfix page where you can place your wish.

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/contact

Under "enquiry type" you can choose "product suggestion".

Hope many of you guys use this option to let Airfix know what we want.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks for the link Michael!

I've made my suggestions which include not only the Venom but also single-seat Vampires, Hunter F.1/4 and T.7.

• Like 3

Just now, Wez said:

Thanks for the link Michael!

I've made my suggestions which include not only the Venom but also single-seat Vampires, Hunter F.1/4 and T.7.

You are the man Wes. I hope many follow us in this virtual march ;-).

Cheers,

Michael

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shatters said:

What about crowd funding, l'd happily pay upfront for a pair of 1/72 venoms. 

Phil

How much would you happily pay ?
Crowdfunding is something that is very intriguing, however I've often wondered how much we are actually prepared to pay for something we say we really want (speaking of plastic kits of course...). So many times I've read requests for one or the other aircraft/tank/ship and then when this appears so many leave comments like "I'd like one but the price is too high". Other times certain subjects that everybody seemed to want ended up being heavily discounted to try and clear the shelves.

So maybe we should first ask ourselves: how badly do we want a kit of that certain subject ? How much are we prepared to pay for this ? How much are prepared to wait for this kit ?

When it comes to crowdfunding these questions are vital: if modellers here would happily pay upfront for a single seat Venom, the more they are happy to pay the less modellers are needed to start such a venture. Would you pay £10? then we likely need 3-4000 orders. Would you pay £20? We halve the numbers.

Of course on the other side whoever is going to manufacture the kit has to start with a clear plan and then carefully follow the project to avoid delays and cost overruns. Is something like that feasible ? It sure could be and in a sense it's been done before, with shops and magazines approaching established kit manufacturers to make a certain number of kits of the desired subject. In this case of course the kits are either sold by the shop under its own brand (and I can think of at least 2) or included in the magazine for its readers (again I can think of a couple examples). In case of crowdfunding some kind of legal entity will have to collect the money from the perspective buyers and then approach the manufacturer. Really it's something that is IMHO simpler than it sounds... the difficult part is understanding how many are willing to pay how much