Tamiya 1/48 F-16C Aggressor, another Arctic schemed one! FINISHED!!!

Quick update to show the current state of play.

Really beginning to look like an F-16 now, with all the main parts put together except for the tail planes which are a simple push fit into poly-caps which will be popped in just before priming/painting.

DSC04852_zpsm4rx8n4x.jpg

I have fitted the undercarriage doors temporarily by putting a chunk of Blu-tak into the wheel wells and pressing them into it, this will hold it in place during painting and ensure that the camo matches up.

DSC04853_zpsbwjj9usp.jpg

The canopy parts have had the "lovely" moulding seam removed from right down the middle of it, this is the first time I have done this and was a little nervous about it to say the least but it worked out well and they have been given a coating of Klear which has dried and been masked off. I should have taken a picture of them before masking but I didn't so this is what they look like masked.

DSC04854_zpsnibmxxj5.jpg

Hopefully I will get the canopies on (just temporary for the front piece) and the remaining little bits done this evening and then I can start painting next week.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received,

Craig.

• Like 2

oooo it'll be great to see some paint on her Craig!!!

I haven't been game enough to try removing the mould line on my canopies yet! I did practise on one of the spare clear ons i'm not using, results.......hmmm the Klear coat came out patchy! Think I'll check out how everyone else goes before I try again!

• Like 1

On 15 January 2017 at 9:56 PM, modelling minion said:

And now it's working perfectly! AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!

Rant over, here are the pictures.

First is the cockpit, as I said nothing special just paint.

DSC04844_zpsx8s4jfv1.jpg

Followed by the instrument panel.

DSC04845_zpsejx8jaur.jpg

Next up is the exhaust.

DSC04847_zps2wqhee4p.jpg

And the turbine that will fit at the end of it.

DSC04849_zps1smt1ndy.jpg

And the upper cockpit which has been painted NATO black and given a dry-brushing.

DSC04846_zpsm7yajok5.jpg

As has something extra which might make it's way onto this GB soon.

DSC04848_zpslogndqe4.jpg

Thanks for looking and hopefully there will be more updates, and photo's by the end of the week.

Craig.

Make sure you don't glue the wrong bits together or you will need yet more filler😄

Andy

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Not much progress this week due to being on the wrong shift but a little more has been done. The rear canopy has been fixed in place and the front canopy temporarily placed, this has been given a coating of Tamiya NATO black to replicate the interior colour.

DSC04858_zpsevm62mtl.jpg

Hopefully this weekend I will be able to make a start on the camo scheme, for which I will be using these....

DSC04859_zpszqbmx7z4.jpg

They claim to have the colours I need for this scheme (and a few others I have planned) so we will see how they perform.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

Are you going for a hard edge or soft edge mate?

If soft edge try using levelling thinner with them 👍🏿

Thanks for the tip Tony.

Looking at pictures of the real thing she seems to have a fairly hard edge to the camo, definitely a masking job!

35 minutes ago, Lex77 said:

Looking very good Craig.

Interesting to see how the paint works.

Thanks Lex.

I'm interested to see how the paint turns out too! Hopefully I will get a chance to get the white-grey on today, I have a well deserved day off from work :D and it's too cold to do much outside:penguin:.

• Like 1

What thinner you going to use bud?

I used hatakas own thinner with these (when base coating) and they came out rather matt and rough. Much better when sprayed with UMP airbrush thinner. Not much needed mind, paints are quite thin already out of the bottle. Just make sure they are well mixed. Some of the more recent ones come with a ball bearing inside like the spanish stuff. So I've added some to all of mine to help with the mixing. 

Once you've done the hard edge scheme with masking try some variations/fading inside the patches of colour with the levelling thinner 👍🏿

edit - post number of the beast! 

Edited by Tony Oliver
Number 666
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

I now have Iron Maiden playing in my head! Not necessarily a bad thing.

For thinner I use de-ionised water, seems to work well with other brands I have used. I will try for a bit of colour variation but not too much as these birds seem to be kept in good condition.

you sort of had me going for a minute when I saw the paint you were using and the F-15 on it....thought it was the colour scheme!  Ok can blame that on beer! :beer:

2 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

What thinner you going to use bud?

I used hatakas own thinner with these (when base coating) and they came out rather matt and rough. Much better when sprayed with UMP airbrush thinner. Not much needed mind, paints are quite thin already out of the bottle. Just make sure they are well mixed. Some of the more recent ones come with a ball bearing inside like the spanish stuff. So I've added some to all of mine to help with the mixing. 

Once you've done the hard edge scheme with masking try some variations/fading inside the patches of colour with the levelling thinner 👍🏿

All your talk on levelling solution and thinners got me into getting some....and it's AWESOME!!! I don't know why I haven't tried this stuff before, it's now so easy to get almost flawlessly smooth finishes Mr Hobby Semi-Glosses!

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Thanks for the tip Tony.

Looking at pictures of the real thing she seems to have a fairly hard edge to the camo, definitely a masking job!

Thanks Lex.

I'm interested to see how the paint turns out too! Hopefully I will get a chance to get the white-grey on today, I have a well deserved day off from work :D and it's too cold to do much outside:penguin:.

sorry I just love this one...  :penguin::penguin::penguin::penguin:...and for some variation..:poop: :D

• Like 2

Well I've applied a couple of coats of the white/grey and it is surprisingly grey which had me looking at as many pictures of the real thing I could to see if I needed to re-paint it but I found one which shows the undercarriage down next to the nose gear cover which is in the white/grey and there is a clear difference between the white undercarriage and the camo colour. This is how she looks now....

DSC04861_zpszzdi8yh0.jpg

It's quite difficult to see where the paint is as it's nearly the same colour as the Tamiya plastic, a closer image of the nose area....

DSC04862_zpsugafkaab.jpg

As you can see the surface is anything but smooth (might have to invest in some of Tony's levelling solution ;)) so it will be out with the micromesh this evening. I might apply some white to the centre of some panels to provide some variation.

Craig.

Edited by modelling minion
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

As you can see the surface is anything but smooth

Thats just how my bell x1 looked in hataka international orange when I used hataka thinners. Liquid sandpaper. 

Try it with some UMP thinners, much smoother for Base coating like this.

The levelling thinners is more for detail work/fading a colour that's already there, or just softening up the edges if it needs to be a 'freehand' scheme. 

It makes the paint that thin once workable (after the intial gloopy stage when first mixing it in a shot glass or similar) that it would take a whole day to do what you did there... 

• Like 1

Well the paint (or coloured grit) is on!

It still needs a lot of rubbing down and some touch ups here and there but I am quite happy with how she looks in her Arctic colours and I am glad I chose the scheme. I'm still not 100% sure that the white/grey is white enough, what do you guys think?

DSC04865_zpsbiz1fkf1.jpg

DSC04866_zpsgu082omb.jpg

Hopefully I will be somewhere near the decaling stage by the end of the week.

Thanks for looking in (and hopefully your opinions on the white) and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 13

Finally managed to find the picture which shows that the white isn't white!

Can't remember where I uploaded it from but it clearly shows the difference between the "white" of the camo scheme and the actual white of the undercarriage.

18th-5_zps4b4ofznd.jpg

Makes me feel happier with the colour I have used.

• Like 5

I think you're fine with the white Craig, you're always going to get differences in colour tones when comparing natural light photos with ones taken under artificial light. Sometimes the differences can be huge, notably with the lighter colours.

The colour scheme and paint job look awesome, I wouldn't change a thing, well done!!

• Like 2

Thanks for the positive words guys, much appreciated.

Tony, for the masking I used tightly rolled blutak worms and then filled in the areas behind with Tamiya masking tape, quite a lot of masking tape and yet somehow some paint found it's way through as usual, shouldn't take too much to tidy up though.

• Like 2