Tamiya 1/48 F-16C Aggressor, another Arctic schemed one! FINISHED!!!

Like a fair few other modellers I really like aggressor schemes, they make a nice change from grey.

The Tamiya F-16 aggressor kit has all you need to build one of these colourful machines so what better place to start. Here's the ubiquitous shot of the open box and it's contents.

DSC04835_zpsxfnmyxnz.jpg

I also have an aftermarket decal set from Two Bobs.

DSC04836_zpsdpxw1ys7.jpg

Though I'm unsure if it is relevant to the mark of F-16 in the kit (yes those accursed block numbers again!) so it might get used on a Hasegawa kit.

Still not 100% sure which scheme to do. I really like the "Flogger" scheme but I also like the Arctic one too, decisions, decisions!

Craig.

Edited by modelling minion
  • Like 8

Yes, I've just checked on F-16.net and all the options on the Two Bobs sheet are Block 32's which fits in fine with the Tamiya kit as (as Lex said) you can build a Block 30,32 or 42 aircraft from it.

This also means I can use then on other Tamiya Block 25/32 kits which might come my way, yes I know I need specific aggressor lumps and bumps but I think I can get hold of them so that means I can (eventually) build all the options from the kit and the decal sheet:D.

welcome aboard Craig, these are starting to get popular!

As everyone else has mentioned this is the Tamiya F-16 model to get as you pretty well have the parts supplied for most of the C series "Block" number.

I do like the colour scheme choices and those TwoBob decals are sooo lovely. If you ever come across a set of 1/48th "Sand-box" Alley Cats decals for the F-14 let me know as I missed out on a set a couple of years ago, even then they were going for $60USD!!!

Anyway good luck with the build, it's always nice to have you along and look forward to seeing her in the gallery. 

• Like 1

Beware that the serial numbers on the TwoBobs sheet look rather small and most likely need replacing if you want a correct model.

Oh, and if you need references, there is a great group on Facebook named 'USAF, USMC & USN Aggressor / Adversary Aircraft'.

Jens

Edited by Jens
  • Like 1

Great choice Craig, I really look forward to it! :)

Maybe you have seen it already but an interesting article and some awesome pics of the 'N' here: https://www.yahoo.com/news/fly-f-16n-viper-topgun-163000300.html

I've just built the Tamiya kit (or nearing the end) so I have some points that might help you for your build, when I build another I know I'd do one or two things differently. They probably will only completely make sense when you get the the necessary construction steps but please don't read this as 'this is what you should do' but rather 'watch out for this bit'! Just trying to be helpful :)

- For the intake I found it best to assemble (slightly ignoring the instructions here) the 4 main pieces in 2 halves first, joining the lower 2 and upper  2 first which makes only 2 seams when joined that need a little filler either side. Depending on which Blk you are doing and therefore the intake, I found the smaller mouth NSI intake lip was't the best fit and needed to be blended in too. So I assembled the interior intake like mentioned (no paint-just sanded), then the exterior around this and the intake lip. Then blend the intake lip in to the intake trunk and finally painted the whole interior, saves you having to fill the lip and repaint the area where it was blended into the rest of the intake and you should get a seamless intake. Or you could just use a cover :) For the larger intake the lip might fit better so maybe you could add it later.

- When beginning to attach the front fuselage/nose panels, 2 either side and one on top, double check the fit against the nose to get no steps (I know obvious right!) I blindly followed the instructions here and simply placed all the nose panels where they should go, then later the nose. Unfortunately I got an ugly step here in places between the nose and nose-panels which was bloody tricky to sand away without destroying the static dischargers strips on the nose. 

-Tamiya wants you to install the MLG early on which naturally can be tricky for painting. You can make the 'Y' shaped bar that goes across the MLG bay area removable by cutting a slot, or a notch in its locating hole to slide it in later. I did this and it worked, but required a bit of post-paint refining to get right, caus I didn't test fit it well enough when I mocked it up to see if it was possible. If you want to do this I strongly recommend knocking up the main gear assembly proper and making sure it will all fit again nicely at the end. But it did make painting/masking a heck of a lot easier in that area. 

I think the rest builds up pretty darn well IIRC. All the schemes are great imho, the Flogger one is an excellent choice, think I'll do the blue one someday.

:popcorn:  Happy new year!

David

• Like 4

21 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Anyway good luck with the build, it's always nice to have you along and look forward to seeing her in the gallery. 

Thanks for the greeting Rich, much appreciated.

It will be a while before she gets to the gallery though. I'm seriously considering adding a second build to the GB but am worried about the time I have to do F-16's before other GB's kick in.

2 hours ago, Jens said:

Beware that the serial numbers on the TwoBobs sheet look rather small and most likely need replacing if you want a correct model.

Thanks Jens, I'm well aware of Two Bobs accuracy "issues" having used their sheet for my JGSDF AH-1 Cobra build last year so I know to check thoroughly before using them.

49 minutes ago, mirageiv said:

I've just built the Tamiya kit (or nearing the end) so I have some points that might help you for your build, when I build another I know I'd do one or two things differently. They probably will only completely make sense when you get the the necessary construction steps but please don't read this as 'this is what you should do' but rather 'watch out for this bit'! Just trying to be helpful :)

Thanks David, it's great to have info like this from someone who has been building the same kit that I'm about to start and it will prove really useful to me, and others looking in on the build.

I look forward to further input from you during the build, which I'm itching to get started on!

• Like 4

Well I have made a start on this but you are going to have to take my word for it as Photobucket is having one of it's "moments" this evening.

I have done some assembly on the undercarriage and have painted it all white so I can finish the assembly of it and start the weathering. The undercarriage bits have  all fitted together very well indeed, which is more than I can say for everything as the gun muzzle assembly had a quite big gap after fitting, as did the panel on the other side of the front fuselage. The undercarriage parts did need a fair bit of cleaning up as well and quite a few sink holes which needed filling, not what I've come to expect from a new tooled Tamiya kit.

As you need to make a decision on which version you are to make quite early on the construction I have decided to go with the Arctic scheme as after my AH-1 Cobra build last year I have a liking for winter camo schemes. I will use my Two Bobs sheet on another F-16 at a later date.

Craig.

• Like 4

Well Photobucket has finally started to play ball, at least partly anyway, so here are the pics I promised in my earlier post.

First off is the painted main undercarriage bay.

DSC04839_zpsu1kryzke.jpg

Next are the main parts of the tail which are waiting to be assembled together.

DSC04840_zpszg8n0xbz.jpg

And finally the upper front fuselage, which shows the filler need for the gun port.

DSC04841_zpsw81nmgeo.jpg

The second application of filler still needs to be smoothed down but you get the idea.

If Photobucket sorts itself out properly there will hopefully be another update later this week.

Thanks for looking in.

Craig.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Well I have made a start on this but you are going to have to take my word for it as Photobucket is having one of it's "moments" this evening.

I have done some assembly on the undercarriage and have painted it all white so I can finish the assembly of it and start the weathering. The undercarriage bits have  all fitted together very well indeed, which is more than I can say for everything as the gun muzzle assembly had a quite big gap after fitting, as did the panel on the other side of the front fuselage. The undercarriage parts did need a fair bit of cleaning up as well and quite a few sink holes which needed filling, not what I've come to expect from a new tooled Tamiya kit.

As you need to make a decision on which version you are to make quite early on the construction I have decided to go with the Arctic scheme as after my AH-1 Cobra build last year I have a liking for winter camo schemes. I will use my Two Bobs sheet on another F-16 at a later date.

Craig.

Great stuff Craig, yep those ejection marks on the gear bits are a PITA and you have done an excellent job, they are invisible now! Nice choice for the camo too, you can never go wrong with snow camo. I've never found one of those 'no filler kits' either :hmmm:, not sure if this tooling has suffered over time but for most joints I needed some cyano here and there (thats just normal for me unfortunately). Has been a few months since I actually built up my one so familiar issues are coming back to me as I see your build. Some being, the gap under the LERX was pretty big on mine, also I remembered the flaps weren't the best fit if having them down, the gap was a bit too large. If you go that route I think I slightly thinned the inner mating surfaces to reduce the 'depth' of the wing giving a better flap fit and finally the little insert next to the top GPS dome was way to small and needed filler. I ended up cutting off the little ariel, filling the insert and adding it back later on. Other than that and the nose panel issue mentioned earlier, it's a dream :whistle: 

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 1

Nice start - I have also troubles with Photobucket. In fact since Friday. That much that I started a topic on this. It still does not work as it should but at last I could upload some pictures today. Hope they get this sorted or I will have to look for a new image hoster.

Will follow your build with interest.

René

• Like 1

I'm afraid Photobucket is still not playing ball, it just will not upload my pictures so once again you will have to take my word on progress.

The cockpit has been painted and is ready to install into the fuselage, I'm just using the kit cockpit so no resin just painting and weathering. The exhaust has had similar treatment so the fuselage halves are ready to join together.

I will carry on with the assembly and try to upload some pictures again later.

Craig.

And now it's working perfectly! AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!

Rant over, here are the pictures.

First is the cockpit, as I said nothing special just paint.

DSC04844_zpsx8s4jfv1.jpg

Followed by the instrument panel.

DSC04845_zpsejx8jaur.jpg

Next up is the exhaust.

DSC04847_zps2wqhee4p.jpg

And the turbine that will fit at the end of it.

DSC04849_zps1smt1ndy.jpg

And the upper cockpit which has been painted NATO black and given a dry-brushing.

DSC04846_zpsm7yajok5.jpg

As has something extra which might make it's way onto this GB soon.

DSC04848_zpslogndqe4.jpg

Thanks for looking and hopefully there will be more updates, and photo's by the end of the week.

Craig.

• Like 11

Thanks guys, glad you like what I've done so far.

Not very much done at all this evening, hardly any spare time after work, dog walk, visit parents, doctors, prepare and eat evening meal and then read through and correct my sons essay towards his M.A. but the fuselage halves are together and filler applied to gaps to be smoothed tomorrow.

And yes David it is a 2 seater, and yes it will be in a camo scheme, though not Arctic, quite the opposite in fact. And no it's not American either.

• Like 1