1/35 ( another one ) Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger #131 ( Zvezda kit #3646 )

little update on the carrier. i've done the main camo scheme, added some paint weathering aswell considering the arsh desert conditions.

EOdRIUi.jpg

looks like a marlboro pack but i've taken pictures as reference for the pattern and this site as reference for the color

http://www.miniatures.de/camouflage-british.html

some extra work required. i've lost a piece of the kit, so i had to clone it with blue stuff and milliput, here's the final result ( the one pointed by the arrow ) 

wMxcobD.jpg

i have to say i wasn't expecting it but it's a quite fun and enjoyable building. that should have been just a decorative addiction but i'm having true fun putting it togheter. 

i've added also chipping around the edges as you can see in the following picture

SSo5BNm.jpg

interiors i've done them before i started to paint the outside, they already have been weathered and dusted

z7V20IG.jpg

and now there's an awful lot of detail object to add to it to really make it a carrier, this will take quite some time :D

1kifRdj.jpg

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 3

added decals, an ocra filter and painted the parts. the little wall-E of Tunisia is read for a little wash and oil paint.

obviously after applying the decals i've found another article saying that the painting scheme i chose was totally wrong. actually is so hard to find reliable informations about this carrier that i decided to keep it as it is, i actually like the way it ended up looking, i had no heart to start it all over just to make it a plain boring olive drab not even being 100% sure that would be the right color. 

g602AUi.jpg

LECZqlF.jpg

9YnUnlY.jpg

lil dude and big dude

poiBgo7.jpg

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 2

Everything is looking just fine mate.

In regards to the Bren Carrier, they were present throughout the campaign and I for one challenge anyone to provide a definitive guide for painting them. "Terra Cotta"  was a color used in Palestine and Iraq pre war and early on in the desert war.

It's not wrong. 

Keep it up.

G

• Like 1

done the weathering on the carrier. i've sealed it and it only lacks the pigment treatment.

uvk5KKk.jpg

lbjXFsv.jpg

FjxGQhg.jpg

feLZI4z.jpg

i've also worked on the radio and done a 1st test of colors to use on the figurines ( that is just the basic layer, all shadows and highlights are still to come ):

5whDz60.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Never noticed before that 131 had the outer roadwheel on the first station removed.....Thought that was just an Ostfront thing.  :nerd:

At first i tought it was some battle damage not properly repaired but i read somewhere that was a common thing on the tigers to remove the first set of outer wheels cause mud used to get stuck between the wheel and the sprocket and that was the way the used to solve the problem. So apparently is something that should be recurring on tigers expecially, i guess, on those deployed on the muddy east front. 

• 3 weeks later...

i just finished building the static grass applicator. Amazingly easy, it took me 10 minutes, basically costless since i had everything at home. i'll make some experiment to make some practice and than i'll get back on the diorama base. 

Edited by cambridge

i've started to prepare the base. It looks more like a lasagna than a tunisian road, i hope to improve it adding some more details, making the rocks look better, and of course i'll have to add some grass on the sides of the road. 

9RgFagH.jpg

HZM6BhZ.jpg

kQheH8X.jpg

2lyB1Vo.jpg

Edited by cambridge

painted rocks and added some sandy shade, i think it just requires grass now

after that it will be final weathering of the tiger and painting the whole set of figurines

H7CeMUD.jpg

9Qnm0tC.jpg

QO6QxaB.jpg

Edited by cambridge

On 5/2/2017 at 23:45, cambridge said:

i just finished building the static grass applicator. Amazingly easy, it took me 10 minutes, basically costless since i had everything at home. i'll make some experiment to make some practice and than i'll get back on the diorama base. 

i've fixed the applicator, now it works just fine. Amazing how you can build it spending like 5 bucks overall. Funny thing, i electrocuted myself while building hit, holy hell that thing can stun you well, be careful

i'll update the base picture when grass is on. 

• 3 months later...

the project was on hold but is still alive by the way.

I've worked on a sherman and after the experience i made on that model i came to the conclusion i want to completely redo the diorama base for this project. 

So the new idea is to cut in half ( more 1/3 2/3 ) the base, create two separate bases that placed side by side will give the idea of the whole scene but that can be also presented separately as a stand alone tiger base and a stand alone universal carrier base. I've cut the new base, tomorrow i will paint the wood and prepare it, than i will do on that the new diorama, the look will be similar and hopefully better. 

Just caught up with this build, those are some excellent models you have made, looking forward to seeing how the diorama(s) look when done :yes:

• Like 1

ok, here's the new setup i've made for the thing.

obviously the soldiers are still to be painted and the tank is still to be dusted, there are still details to add like grass and rags and rocks, there's tape on the frame and so on, but the pictures are just to give an idea of the new setup ):

some details have been modified on the figures in order to make them look more like the ones in the picture i used as a reference ( i've added a jacket and a beret to the captain, ive added out of the trousers jackets to two soldiers ) 

wE8fdcZ.jpg

5GyL7Py.jpg

AeBr6XD.jpg

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 2

I think it is better idea. You've got to good models and one not dragging attention the other one. 

I like the way you painted the tiger. Do you remember the paint colours you used? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kris B said:

I think it is better idea. You've got to good models and one not dragging attention the other one. 

I like the way you painted the tiger. Do you remember the paint colours you used? 

if i'm not wrong colors were Tamiya XF-60 as the main color and Tamiya Xf-52 for the camouflage pattern

this is the new base with added rocks and rags. I'm planning to add some flock of grass here and there, than i'll move on finally to dusting the tank. I think it catches 

qlr48ej.jpg

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 1