1/35 ( another one ) Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger #131 ( Zvezda kit #3646 )

First thing first let me apologize cause all pictures are taken with my phone so the quality is not the best. I promise I'll use a better camera to present the final result when this construction will be completed.

hi all, i'm just building this kit by Zvezda. I want to start by saying this is an awesome kit, even more awesome considering is one of the cheapest 1/35 tigers you can find on the market ( probably only italeri is cheaper ) but it's a very good kit, rich in details and very historically accurate. You can read opposing review about this kit online, I can say, don't consider the bad ones cause this is a very good buy that i recommend to anyone. Easy to build, very good fittings, crisp details, great attention to details that are wrong on other kits ( like the exhausts tubes or the tracks shape ) and plastic tracks.   

The subject i want to create is the famous tiger 131. Two words about this tank: it's the first working tiger the british were able to capture during ww2, this happened in Tunisia in 1943. The tiger is actually on display at Bovington tanks museum and is the only driveble tiger around the world today. 

My idea is to put it into a diorama depicting the scene after the capture, like in this famous picture. For that reason i will try to replicate all the damage and the conditions you can see in the original pictures. 

Now the kit doesn't offer the option to build this particular tank (tanks you can build are tiger 332 and tank 114 ) but the model is more or less the same ( all of them are early tigers ) and with some modifications here and there i'm confident i can come up with an accurate depiction of 131 tiger. 

tiger-131-capturado.jpg

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 2

now, i've just newly subscribed to the forum, working on this kit was already started, so i'll catch up to the current status of the work since i've taken notes of the various steps of my building. So let's start. I'll highlight in red the modifications i had to make on the kit in order to obtain a convincing tiger 131. 

this is  just a fitting test for the main body of the tank to give you an idea of this kit out of the box.

d1voEvO.jpg

first modifications i've done are on the turret. In order:

- the upper shield is too thick, in the tiger 131 it was levelled with the side walls so i'll use some plasticard to raise them.

- the tiger 131 had no spare tracks on the turret sides, therefore i have to cut and putty those supports that are part of the mold. 

- the skin is completely flat, with no texture. I'll try to recreate some casting texture with the use of putty.

here you can see the work in progress of such modifications

COV3Kc3.jpg

and the final result 

8QvVwAl.jpg

7B8x8oT.jpg

after that i've started to work on the inside of the turret ( this kit offers good details of the turret interiors, therefore i'll leave unglued the top shield in order to inspect it at will )

the green figure you see is a figure i'm trying to make with milliput in order to put it in the final diorama. It's the first time i try to do such a thing, we'll see what i'll end up with.

XRuSPnK.jpg

zeFvIcm.jpg

i've also assembled the turret, i've added two metal support obtained from a sting needle and a repair rod in order to replicate tiger 131 details. I've also added rain drain holes all around the turret.

lEXsc0i.jpg

in the following picture you can see the rest of the inside details this kit offers

d2s5kB4.jpg

basically the fuel tanks and the radiators that you can barely see from the engine grills, therefore i've not wasted much time on them. i've also made a disc of plasticard in order to represent the turret floor that you'll be able to see when opening the turret.

you can see from this picture i've also sanded away the light support details from the hull. They were not present on tank 131 when captured so they will not be present on my work 

tje0zkR.jpg

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 4

time to work on the boot. The one in the kit is very rigid and thick. If you look at original pictures you can see it looks more thin and deformed, and with very caracteristic damage.

la447lv.jpg

So in order to replicate both the damage and the material effect i've made a custom plasticard part and than wrapped the whole boot in aluminium paper 

9feOtBn.jpg

WWfVmeB.jpg

FtOiLbc.jpg

and this is the final effect result. I'm quite satisfied with it. 

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 6

than i started to work on the exhaust and i've realized some rust effect in a very simple way, Is just a Tamiya Xf-9 base with a texture obtained with various patch of different mixes of tamiya yellow and red and a soft coat of oxyd powder to blend it togheter. I'm quite pleased with the result, unfortunately it will not be visible in the final model.

rVWoqxu.jpg

cGTPE3Q.jpg

next step the air filters. These have to be modified. i cut the top half and than use some plasticard in order to remodel it

FVxvxaf.jpg

i'm actually thinking of reworking them since the actual result ( you'll be able to see them in later pictures ) i think can be improved.

than i've glued togheter the tank frame and used hull red in order to prime the whole tank like they used to do on german panzers.

Jqz0bK1.jpg

next step the gun shield. this one too need to be modified . so this is the original

VHVIePa.jpg

i had to remove part of the structure using Dremel and sandpaper. than i hadded some putty in order to create some cast texture. and than after primer and paint here's the result

3JXYEeb.jpg

i've also put togheter the cannon. I used the kit one wich is made in two half shells, i've glued them and used some putty and sandpaper in order to hide the seam line.

CTTFNJI.jpg

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 3

than i've started to work on the wheels ( lot of wheels ). I've primed them with red, than used some hairspray as a protective layer, than painted with final color in two tones to create highlights and than used a toothpick to peel the paint. this is the final result

xfWPIaq.jpg

d8FQNzK.jpg

ksWxhEp.jpg

at this point i've sprayed the main color on the whole tank. As you can see on the front glacis i've added the handle that only tiger 131 has. I just drilled to holes in the glacis and bended a thin piece of plastic, nothing too hard to do. I also cut and bent a little the side mud skirts in order to make the tank look more battle worn. 

i also assembled the smoke grenade launchers on the sides of the turret. Since they're all loaded in the kit i've drilled some of them in order to have them look empty and i've stripped one, all to depict the tank the way is shown in the original pictures. 

xERaGlL.jpg

and added highlights adding some drop of white to the paint 

SftrDFj.jpg

after that using the bovington restored tank pictures as a reference, i've painted the camo over the tank, no need to using masks on this scale.

jvjyJ4U.jpg

XxWT7HZ.jpg

OCgic3K.jpg

before i'm adding more layers of paint i'm gonna start to chip the paint showing the red primer under it using a toothpick. ( as i've said before the air filters looks a bit too messy, and i'm thinking of reworking them ) 

262422d1482989134-carro-armato-panzerkampfwagen-vi-tiger-i-ausf-e-1-35-131-zvezda-kit-3646-img_20161229_055353_hdr.jpg

262427d1482989134-carro-armato-panzerkam

262426d1482989134-carro-armato-panzerkampfwagen-vi-tiger-i-ausf-e-1-35-131-zvezda-kit-3646-img_20161229_055549_hdr.jpg

notice that before starting the whole painting process i've replicate the original damage that the tank recieved during his final battle

262430d1482989134-carro-armato-panzerkampfwagen-vi-tiger-i-ausf-e-1-35-131-zvezda-kit-3646-img_20161229_060326_hdr.jpg

262425d1482989134-carro-armato-panzerkampfwagen-vi-tiger-i-ausf-e-1-35-131-zvezda-kit-3646-img_20161229_055446_hdr.jpg

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 7

at this point i took a gamble. The tank looked a bit too flat and new to me, definitely too new for a tank that has seen battles and has been for months under the desert sun. So i did something i should have done before applying the whole camo and highlights, wich is a "worn paint effect".

I've done it using the classic salt tecnique and applying a very diluted coat of white oil paint over, if the result wasn't good i could have just taken it all away with some turpentine. At least i hope so. 

Well the result is the following ( the picture show it in a overdramatic way since i've turned on the HDR function in order to highlight it )

262665d1483272765-carro-armato-panzerkampfwagen-vi-tiger-i-ausf-e-1-35-131-zvezda-kit-3646-img_20161231_220920_hdr.jpg

262664d1483272765-carro-armato-panzerkampfwagen-vi-tiger-i-ausf-e-1-35-131-zvezda-kit-3646-img_20161231_220858_hdr.jpg

as you can see from the pictures i've also added decals. Actually, since tiger 131 decals weren't part of the kit and i didn't want to buy them, i've used the kit wermacht roundels and than i've painted by hand the 131 numbers ( fortunately is just plain red ) and the small symbols on the sides. Once again the scale made it easier than i tought.

than i started to work on the back of the track. i added all the engine dirt using a mix of acrylics and pigments and i'va painted the exhaust shields using a mix of hairspray and salt techniques.

262661d1483272698-carro-armato-panzerkampfwagen-vi-tiger-i-ausf-e-1-35-131-zvezda-kit-3646-img_20170101_040848_hdr.jpg

262663d1483272698-carro-armato-panzerkampfwagen-vi-tiger-i-ausf-e-1-35-131-zvezda-kit-3646-img_20170101_040856_hdr.jpg

obviously after spraying a layer of clear coat over the whole tank.

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 6

And than i started to add some oil paint streaks all around, and this is the situation i am right now ( i also glued the various tools that i've worked on in various times during the construction while i was waiting for paint to dry ).

Notice i've replicated the damage on the gunner door. That has been hit by a shell that broke it and you can see both the broken door and the rubber seal pending from it.

also you should see that from the previous picture i've added bolts to the side skirts. they weren't present in the kit, i noticed them in the pictures only now and that is something at that point you can't unnotice. So i felt i had to add them. So i unglued the skirt, drilled the holes in them and made the bolts with some spare sprue and a fire lighter. than glued them back on.

HsRu6IT.jpg

Iefx2KM.jpg

VJbTXNz.jpg

s01S12j.jpg

and a comparison between a B&W picture from the same angle and with the same light of my tank in its actual status and the original picture. 

SvKuc6t.jpg

tiger-131-capturado.jpg

so this is where i am in this very moment.

Next steps will probably be, a clear coat, than tracks and wheels assembly, than dusting it with pigments, than if some materials i've ordered online arrive at my home i'll may be able to start the diorama construction too. 

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Nice build, the kit looks really nice too. Did the turret interor come with it?:goodjob:

thank you. and yes, there are no aftermarket parts i've bought for this kit ( i'll actually have to build some engine grills now that i think about it )  that's the interiors that zvezda put in this kit. Now why only the turret i don't know but they're a nice addition and the fact that the top panel fitting is so precise allows you to not glue it without ruining the final look of the kit. Maybe they're planning to release a tiger with full interiors sooner or later ( would be a smart move, it's just a question of a couple more sprues ) 

by the way in the pictures it all looke a bit too colorful cause i've left HDR option turned on on the phone in order to highlight the details but i guarantee in real life it's all more toned down. 

still a bit too messy for some people liking maybe but i wanted to show a tank that has seen battle in the desert and has been shot at.

and actually this is my first build on a tank this scale and i'm actually a newbie so being honest i'm still learning while building it

any tip on how to assemble the tracks and wheels? the tracks are plastic and pre built, so i assume that gluing the wheels to the tanks and the tracks to the wheels will not be a big deal. 

the question is, is there any particular order you suggest, considering all the wheels are interlocked too?

uKIAIVi.jpg

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 1

It's coming along nicely, if your looking for a tiger with a full interior Academy do a kit. It's a mid production tiger and comes with everything you need, really good value for money. I built one a few years back, it goes together really well.

by the way, these are a couple of tank pictures in day light and with HDR turned off. This looks much more like the way i see it with my eyes and as you can see everything is definitely toned down and less psychedelic. 

i hope you can see the difference. 

yFfTlx9.jpg

tttbFB2.jpg

GtXka0i.jpg

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

It's coming along nicely, if your looking for a tiger with a full interior Academy do a kit. It's a mid production tiger and comes with everything you need, really good value for money. I built one a few years back, it goes together really well.

oh yes i remember seeing that on amazon at a very good price. i was tempted to buy it but the one available was a mid production and i was looking for an early one ( i think academy does an early too but it wasn't available). Also i read some review of people that weren't all that satisfied with it, i'm glad to hear your good opinion. Who knows maybe in the future a mid production with interiors and zimmerit in museum condition could be a nice thing to build . 

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 1

added full set of wheel and as bullbasked suggested i've toned down the tow cables

ygAeXiv.jpg

GcWoZBf.jpg

A436SUr.jpg

i still have to find a way to rework the air filters on the back before i glue them on. 

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 7

On 4/1/2017 at 14:00, cambridge said:

i've won an ebay auction and bought this

133188-10911-pristine.jpg

that will become part of the diorama at this point 

hey, it arrived today at home. it's actually the oldest version ( kit 3589 ) but inspecting the sprue the detail quality is still quite good.

I've bought it for less than 10 bucks including shipping directly from japan ( instruction and box are all in kanji ), i have no clue how can it be so cheap.

you can see it's old just watching the instructions, it has that 1960 vibe, i know it is a stupid feeling but i feel like i'm ruining an antique by opening this, it makes me feel i just want to keep it there in its box as a memory from the past :D 

well who cares, i'll build it aniway i don't think it has some collectible value considering i've bought it for less than 10 bucks.

should i keep the update in this discussion or open a separate one? 

Edited by cambridge

actually i had in mind to buy a Dingo or a bedford cause they both appear in original pictures and that would have been 100% accurate.

But i wasn't able to find cheap kits of those ( didn't want to buy a 40 bucks truck when i've spent less than 30 for the tiger ) , therefore i moved on this carrier wich historically it's almost certain was present in that battle, and could have been around trasporting people there when the battle was over and the soldiers were ispecting the tank. 

this is the general setup i'm planning to use for the diorama ( i like the addition of the bren gun cause it fills the scene and makes the Tiger even more imposing with its size ).

the size of that is cause it fits perfectly the space i'm planning to put it on display when it's done. 

it will basically be all flat sand, some rocks, and some burnt grass tuft here and there, nothing too fancy actually. 

:

hj9Zh8K.jpg  

again, the picture i'm referencing to is the following:

tiger-131-capturado.jpg

with the other tamiya kit i'm waiting wich is 5 figures should be enough to fill the scene. 

For a very odd coincidence the figure present with the brand carrier kit is almost perfect for impersonating the soldier that peeks inside the tank turret in the picture ( i'll just have to sand away that seam line ), and i'm pretty confident i can use the driver to impersonate the radio operator in the foxhole. Those were the two most problematic figures ( the other are generically standing people not doing much ) , and i've solved them both in one go. 

Again, luckily enough, the brand carrier kit includes a radio that i will probably use with the radio operator. 

vIdrS9y.jpg

LLW6CKr.jpg

0rFIGGD.jpg

currently i'm doing some research to define the correct camouflage pattern, you don't find much even on kit instructions. I've come to the conclusion the following should be the correct one, but with a reddish color instead of the dark gray, and for the unit decals  1st armored division 77anti tank regiment should have been part of that battle and those decals are in the kit. 

12377071833_4c61ac8fc2_c.jpg

i think if everything will go right it can end up making a nice display 

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 2