1/48 Aggressive Arctic Falcon

SimonT

I have been looking forward to this GB for a long time.  I haven't started or finished a project now for over a year and this seemed like a great excuse to get started again.  

I'm planning on doing a couple for this GB, a Tamiya 1/48 F-16C as a USAF Arctic Aggressor and Italeri's 1/48 F-16A as a USN Adversary in grey.

I'm nowhere near as skilled or proficient as most around here, but I'll give it a go anyway and hopefully learn something along the way.

y3mwNcrLez5h_sm5q5DVvi3Z6Mf4BEA5xyAY6wjH

y3mwQgsSroXpvDcjTbxrVbM-_cP5mAFoeZ12yWlQ

Edited by SimonT
Images moved in cloud
  • Like 5

Welcome aboard Simon, the first of two builds as well, good to see.

Well good luck with the build, hopefully you'll have better luck with these projects and get them into the gallery.

• 1 month later...

Well, work and life have once again interfered but I've managed to steal an hour an evening for the last week to do a few bits and bobs on this kit.  I have to say, I'm really impressed, I've built Tamiya AFVs before and they've been good, but not done one of their aircraft before, just wow, the engineering and fit is jaw dropping, and this isn't even a new kit!

Anyhow, to show I'm actually doing something, I've test fitted what I have done so far and took some photos.  

y3mcnUDbBdi1Spi6WTXpJJaMfVIRssc6mPmxIiCm

y3mNIap4Am1mJ2RkeP183iKBJZPtSBWUulrTEocG

I'm waiting on some paints to arrive, once they do I'll start getting the cockpit and all the white parts for the undercarriage done so I can start gluing her together, it should then fall together easily and progress may be more rapid.

I've been jealous watching all you guys get on with it, all bar none are looking great!

Cheers, Si.

Edited by SimonT
spelling
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Small update from me, to show I'm still working on it, all be it at slower speed than Rich's oil rig...

y3mZQRXlPoZEUfgN7OxWGmjgLQ4bBQ2a3ZaNeT6n

y3mO69rrum0YJtfVCwDnZrSl-CXtoJN5kLD2af8V

y3mVVVIf_AObtjmwPmletHH6XJUuJFCnO1k0CDTp

Bits and pieces are now starting to come together, I need to deal with the canopy seam (for which I bought the appropriate pads at southern expo last weekend) and button her up for primer and pre-shade.  I'll then try the Hataka paints and see how it goes from there.  Hopefully I'll get the above done by Sunday and next week I can start adding all the undercarriage etc before a wash.  I'm hoping to add cabling etc to the U/C if I have time.

Cheers!

Si

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Rich has given me the hurry up, so I stole 20 minutes and started to pre-shade the aircraft (primed a few nights ago).  If I'm lucky, I can start masking tonight for the white-grey and may even get time to spray it...

y4mhjLWw43MerO-HA7BpVPdhbxywK7eLoeJuyGXQ

• Like 3

I thought I'd have a go at doing my own camo masks so I followed the Tamiya guide and cheated in some bits:

y4mGivJynr33IAm_wtPQ3MLEGKgcwTmDWiZYj7sj

This evening, I got a chance to spray the white-grey from Hataka.  It seems good to me, but I struggled to get the right psi as my usual 15-17 didn't quite cut it.  Hopefully the paint will shrink back and if necessary I'll go over again in a light coat.  This is how she looks as of 10 minutes ago:

y4mYtCMyBRrAsPnDjQhxYmIARt2nu_2Jk0b5dG7j

As I expected, sadly, she won't be finished in time.  However, the positive side is that it's really got me back in to modelling.  It's been great fun watching everyone else do so well and it's a real inspiration.  I'll keep plugging away and updating the thread until she's done.  I'm looking to join another GB or two with subjects a little more in my comfort zone too.

• Like 3

It is a shame you won't make it Simon, I was looking forward to seeing her in the gallery. I'm glad you found some inspiration in the other builds and are back in the modelling seat.

Was great to have you along, the build threads stay open, so please keep updating when you can as I know there are quite a few members who are following with interest. Look forward to seeing you in the next GB.