32nd scale Tamiya Spitfire XVIe

Hello Britmodellers, and a very Happy New Year to everyone.

The holidays allowed me to finally finish a build that was intended as a tribute to Edgar Brooks. Although Edgar was knowledgable on other aircraft types he is probably best known for his grasp of all things Spitfire.

To that end, I felt a Spitfire was the ideal type to build and in this case, the jewel that is Tamiya's large scale offering.

I opted for the MkXVIe to compliment the earlier Revell MkIIa version that I'd built before. It is easy to see how things developed on the airframe with the two side by side in the cabinet.

The engineering of the kit is widely documented and rightly so. These latest Tamiya models are some of the most pleasurable kits to build and even I can get the thing to look half reasonale (from a distance).

So with that preamble out of the way, here are a few pics of my tribute to Mr Brooks. Blue skies Edgar. *

586939e664e0e.jpg

Apologies, the hosting site has taken it's ball away and gone home so I'll add more images when it stops messing around.

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer
Attempting to add images
  • Like 18

7 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

Hello Britmodellers, and a very Happy New Year to everyone.

The holidays allowed me to finally finish a build that was intended as a tribute to Edgar Brooks. Although Edgar was knowledgable on other aircraft types he is probably best known for his grasp of all things Spitfire.

To that end, I felt a Spitfire was the ideal type to build and in this case, the jewel that is Tamiya's large scale offering.

I opted for the MkXVIe to compliment the earlier Revell MkIIa version that I'd built before. It is easy to see how things developed on the airframe with the two side by side in the cabinet.

The engineering of the kit is widely documented and rightly so. These latest Tamiya models are some of the most pleasurable kits to build and even I can get the thing to look half reasonale (from a distance).

So with that preamble out of the way, here are a few pics of my tribute to Mr Brooks. Blue skies Edgar. *

586939e664e0e.jpg

Apologies, the hosting site has taken it's ball away and gone home so I'll add more images when it stops messing around.

Cheers.

What a cracker, so nice to see a Lovely Silver Spitfire, you've done a lovely job on this one.

It's also nice to see it in a former RAF Finningley based aircraft scheme - it would look nice stood next to a HK models Mk 4 Meteor finished as a 616 Squadron aircraft as both flew from Finningley around the same time.

Thank you for sharing

Regards Adrian 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Radpoe Spitfire said:

nice to see it in a former RAF Finningley based aircraft scheme -

Thank you for sharing

Regards Adrian 

Thanks Bangor Lad, much appreciated.

Thanks Adrian, glad you like it. Good catch on the Finningley markings too. These are a direct copy of the kit decals but I used masks instead as I did n't trust the larger Tamiya decals.

If I'm lucky, the photo host is playing ball so here are the remainder of the images I took.

58693aafc3dac.jpg

58693ad200122.jpg

58693aef7df23.jpg

58693b0d2e5dc.jpg

58693b81963a2.jpg

58693b51ab444.jpg

58693b6ad2adb.jpg

The finish is Tamiya AS-12 straight out of the can with a topcoat of Montana Gold gloss clear lacquer then some Valejo satin lacquer over the top in places to dull down the gloss.

The weathering is a combination of Games Workshop acrylics, water clolour pencils and artists pastels.

The stencils are from the kit but the larger markings are all masked and painted as is the yellw tail band.

Hope you enjoy seeing this model and thanks for stopping by.

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer
  • Like 7

Beautiful, absolutely gorgeous, I really like the post war finish and markings with the big and bright roundels, nice job, but then again it is a Spitfire.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

beautiful!

I've got Tamiya's large scale Mustang to build at some point and have already completed the birdcage Corsair which was a cracking kit.

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Dennis, Ben, Michael and Dave, thanks for stopping by and adding your kind words guys, much appreciated. Glad you like my efforts.

All of this current generation of 32nd scale Tamiya kits seem to be that way Dave. I also built the Mustang and thoroughly enjoyed it. If I had more free time and spare cash I'd even buy a Corsair to build even though I'm not overly fond of the aircraft itself. Building these Tamiya kits is such a pleasure.

Cheers