1/72 C-130H

This is my only build for the year. 
It took me ~ 450 hours to finish it. 
I finished it the morning of Christmas Eve, and delivered it to him that afternoon.
My modelling friend had volunteered to build a 1/72 C-130H for a friend who was a TSgt in the USAF Reserve, and a Flight Engineer on a C-130H at Maxwell Reserve Base. 
Because of my friend's  Parkinsons, I stepped in to build it. 
I used Italeri's 1/72 C-130E/H as the basis, and used the following aftermarket items: 
Attack Squadron Engine Nacelles & Props and their Wheel Well Extensions and Brengun's PE Flare/Chaff dispensers.
I used portions of decals from Vince Maddux decals (Thank you Vince!), Authentic Decals and Warbirds Decals.
All the chaff "buckets were scratch-built, as were all the antennas on the nose, tail and Top & bottom of the aircraft.
The static discharge wicks were made from Econoflex .014" 7-stranded beading wire.
Paint was ModelMaster Air Mobility Command Gray. I also used the Eduard canopy masks (first try, very nice stuff).
Some of the windows had to be filled in and new ones made in the correct locations.
Measurements for scratchbuilding were based on loads of photos I took as well as online pics.
i haven't had time to resize my WIP pics and upload them to Photobucket, so I only have a few pics to show. 
The base is a poster frame, with an official USAF map of Qatar, which is where TSgt Gross flew out of.

(P.S. I know the flags on the tail are backwards. I didn't figure it out until the morning of delivery, and the customer wasn't concerned about it.) 

Larry

P1030273_Resized.jpg

P1030282_Resized.jpg

P1030278_Resized.jpg

P1030284_Resized.jpg

Edited by ReccePhreak
  • Like 46

2 minutes ago, polo1112 said:

Really cool !!!

Thanks. It was a LOT of work, but I am glad the "customer" was happy with it.

No more "contract" builds for me, now to do stuff I want. 

Of course, it was good practice for the 1/72 & 1/48 C-130 kits I want to build for myself. :blink:

Larry

14 minutes ago, Parabat said:

That looks great, very nicely done, I'm sure the owner will be thrilled. 

He was VERY shocked & HAPPY to get the model, especially mounted on the map of Qatar. 

His wife kept it a secret from him.

Larry

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Graeme H said:

A great build,

that you only did one model for the year is just fine when they are to that standard

Thanks for the kind comments.

I guess that means I can do even better on my next one? :lol:

Larry

6 hours ago, Bell209 said:

Great job on one of my favourites! I'm intending to use some of the AM stuff you used on my RAAF C-130H and C-130J-30 projects, too.

Thanks for the nice comments.

The Attack Squadron's Engine Nacelles and their Wheel Well Extensions were really nice.

The engine nacelles & props were a joy to work with. This is the first time I have used a lot of resin stuff and I was pleasantly satisfied. They tell you to cut back the kit's inboard nacelles 2.25mm, so the props line up correctly. Very little putty was needed where the front part of the nacelle attaches to the rear. The most putty was needed where the whole nacelle attaches to the kit. Don't glue on the 2 small resin pieces under the nacelle until you are done with all your sanding. 

For the props & hubs, they cleaned up nicely. I made a jig out of sheet plastic, to hold the prop blades while the thick superglue dried. I then flooded some thin superglue around the prop attachment points, and let them dry for a few days. No problems with the blades coming off while brush painting them and adding the decals.

Only a little scribing touch up was needed on the nacelles.

The wheel well extensions needed some careful sanding & shimming with 5 &10 thou sheet plastic, before I started with the putty & Mr Surfacer. Just remember to keep sanding and dry fitting, before you apply any super glue.

Larry

• Like 1

The receiver of this Hercules can be mighty proud of it.

A beautiful work and paintjob.

I am not a military guy but I must admit I really like the good old Hercules.Having some Italeri kits in the stash myself which I hope getting around to build this year.If they come out as half as nice as yours I will be happy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

The receiver of this Hercules can be mighty proud of it.

A beautiful work and paintjob.

I am not a military guy but I must admit I really like the good old Hercules.Having some Italeri kits in the stash myself which I hope getting around to build this year.If they come out as half as nice as yours I will be happy.

Thank you for your nice comments.

Larry

You cannot go wrong with a Herk and this one is a real beauty.........great stuff! I especially like the lumps and bumps that you have added,

Cheers

Tony 

21 minutes ago, tonyot said:

You cannot go wrong with a Herk and this one is a real beauty.........great stuff! I especially like the lumps and bumps that you have added,

Cheers

Tony 

Thanks Tony, for the good comments.

I always like planes with extra lumps & bumps. :lol:

Larry

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mark4700 said:

Fantastic build. :goodjob:

21 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Looks nice!

12 hours ago, F4u said:

Great looking Herc :goodjob:

Guy

Thanks for the nice comments guys. -_-

Larry

3 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Beautiful finish for a worthwhile project there Larry.

Now that you've done all the work a major manufacturer will now release an accurate 1/72 one..well..here's hoping

Richard

Thanks for the comments. I would LOVE for Revell of Germany to do a 1/72 C-130 "family", especially considering what a fine job they have done on their recent 1/72 European cargo planes.

Larry

19 minutes ago, ReccePhreak said:

I would LOVE for Revell of Germany to do a 1/72 C-130 "family", especially considering what a fine job they have done on their recent 1/72 European cargo planes.

A C-130H would be the best bet as the base kit as it is easily the most widely-used.  The fact that Germany has never had any is probably a significant factor in them not having done a Herk to date.

What a good way to make someone really happy for Christmas, I'm sure these 450 hours were very well paid by just seeing his face in front of such a beauty. :goodjob:

9 hours ago, Lomcevak said:

What a good way to make someone really happy for Christmas, I'm sure these 450 hours were very well paid by just seeing his face in front of such a beauty. :goodjob:

Yes, he was VERY happy sitting next to it. As retired USAF and a disabled Vietnam veteran, it was also my small way of showing appreciation for a fellow USAF member and his service.

Larry

• Like 1