1 minute ago, SovereignHobbies said:

I've been too annoyed at being forced to sell my TVR to be remotely in the mood for modelling recently to be honest. I'm still seething at the thought actually. :swear:

It's not fun having to part with cherished possessions but objects are all they are at the end of the day. Look after the important things that no money can buy and that's all that really matters. You are young enough to make good all the tawdry baubles in time.

DB

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the pathetic update. I intended to do some ship modelling last night, but had to work instead and then discovered my personal compressor had been requisitioned for business use during the day and was out in the paint shed, so I abandoned that idea.

Still *entirely* not up for trying to do anything with that engine, I instead sawed the propeller parts from the casting blocks and assembled them. The castings are so precise that there is no glue used and no urgent need of any.

20170321_184329_zpsgjqaoh4o.jpg

20170321_184337_zpsovs8tjwp.jpg

20170321_184513_zpssbnsacwd.jpg

20170321_184534_zpsepu6tll7.jpg

The propeller is my favourite bit of this model now and I'm very pleased I got it.

• Like 8

Looks very nice; a wash of future, water and Tamiya flat black will accentuate the hub nicely. Then some clear gloss, some stencils and presto! One item checked off the "To Do" list!

david

• Like 1

As luck would have it, I've lost the engine. I've been looking for it and at this moment I have absolutely no idea where it is.

Oh dear, what a shame, never mind.

I will do some shopping and choose the best looking AM engine.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SovereignHobbies said:

As luck would have it, I've lost the engine. I've been looking for it and at this moment I have absolutely no idea where it is.

I'm pretty sure Eduard themselves do an engine for the Hellcat kit but I've not seen it or compared it to others, so I've no idea if that's the best way to go.

thanks

Mike 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SovereignHobbies said:

That really is rather inconvenient Jamie :huh: 

;)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm seriously struggling to find motivation to finish this one. It's not that it's a bad kit - I am simply not enjoying building it. Still, it's irritating me that it's just sat there so I want rid of it from my WIP area.

To that end I decided the Eduard engine will have to do, and added the conspicuously missing ignition harness from copper wire.

I still don't like it, but it'll do.

20170603_093207_zpszungkr9g.jpg

• Like 4

I still have to do something about the exhausts before gluing the cowling on, but it looks ok together. I like having the wings and fuselage the right colours. I can't fail to notice that on models now. Thinking about it, I don't think I've seen another tricolor scheme model that hasn't just had "FS35042" on all the upper surfaces.

20170603_113253_zpsxucxwj61.jpg

20170603_113222_zpsbw0eioan.jpg

20170603_113201_zps7vd8gizk.jpg

• Like 5

Nice to see progress on this, Jamie :clap:

Keep it up, you're almost there :thumbsup: (and she looks rather good from where I'm sitting :winkgrin: )

Ciao

• Like 1

Thank you Jan. I'm sure yours will turn out well. Except for the minor things to check before committing to glue as I've already mentioned in this thread, it is an easy kit to build neatly.

I have had a package arrived from Hannants today containing a set of Master machine gun barrels, which are the final things I needed to buy to complete this model - having already committed to not using the kit guns which should have been enclosed within the wing halves.

• Like 1

I've just played catch-up with this, and I think I might have said this before (possibly not to you though), it's good to see a vendor that builds, and gets down and dirty with the detail too. :)

• Like 1

I got it back in with superglue and pointy tweezers, but it didn't sit completely level when drying which changed the rake angle of the undercarriage leg. I adjusted that "manually" and it looks kinda OK-ish now. I just want it over with now.

The wheels are on and the exhausts are on. The undercarriage legs in the kit are very detailed and fit together well, but any paint on the stab-ins for the legs to wheel wells needs to be scraped off prior to trying to insert them - they appear to be zero tolerance fits. The injected wheels in the Eduard kit did not impress but the Ultracast ones are much nicer and easier too, not having 4 parts per wheel and the tyre split in two with no locating lip and a seam to sort out, negating any advantage in being able to paint hubs and tyres separately.

20170617_181505_zpsnzb97mvm.jpg

20170617_181407_zpsmurqzsfo.jpg

Exhausts (I'm glad I scraped away the excess thickness of the cowling here - it looks much better)

20170617_181159_zpsha0g6ytz.jpg

20170617_181236_zpsvkhd16w3.jpg

And on its wheels.

20170617_181050_zpsbtlp1w2k.jpg

20170617_181103_zpsfabttafd.jpg

• Like 7

Jamie, the close-up shots look like a walkaround of the real thing! Unbelievably realistic, I just love them! :worthy::worthy:

Despite of all the trouble you had, the final result looks excellent to me :clap:

Ciao

Thank you giemme :)

The Master machine gun barrels are very, very nice indeed. I am very pleased I bought them!

20170618_131958_zpsvq0hyzse.jpg

These were sprayed with Alclad Steel but still look a little golden now they're fitted. I shall perhaps do some localised masking and try again.

20170618_141546_zps1nowmnma.jpg

The undercarriage doors are fitted now and all of the little bits added including the PE cockpit sills and the sliding canopy painted. Besides a bit more weathering, the antenna and the clear lenses it's about done.

20170618_141620_zpszoozddgq.jpg

20170618_141649_zpsqyu4h0pd.jpg

20170618_141706_zpsesoic3wb.jpg

• Like 4