Avro Vulcan xj824

I completely agree, it's an amazing hobby, it's hard though for a youth to do it, you know, exams, school, homework, it was the same with my brothers, they were into this sort of thing, but they would always  buy the models and never make them! But I'm not complaining, I got all the models after them :D

• Like 2

Nice start harry. I've heard the intakes can be problematic, but persist, and they will come out great. A tip I've seen used to good effect, is to pour latex based, white interior household paint into them. It fills all the gaps and sanding marks beautifully. 

Matt

43 minutes ago, S5 modeller said:

Nice start harry. I've heard the intakes can be problematic, but persist, and they will come out great. A tip I've seen used to good effect, is to pour latex based, white interior household paint into them. It fills all the gaps and sanding marks beautifully. 

Matt

Thanks Matt, I'll try that

• Like 1

Hi everyone, a quick update, the progress of this build won't be updated for a few months because I've somehow lost a peace of the vulcans air intake, so I have to wait until I next go back to the uk to get the replacement peice, :( sorry everyone

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harrywilliams said:

Unless I make the Vulcan with only 3 of those air intake blade peices, which wouldn't make a huge difference, as you can't really see the part, what do you think guys?

Hi,

Well as far as I see it, there are 4 main options:

1. Obtain a replacement from Airfix and their spares dept. (shipping cost and takes a few weeks usually)

2. Scratchbulid an intake through a plasticard circle and wedges overlapped on top. (relatively easy and can be realistic)

3. Paint a piece of scrap plastic to look like an air intake and place that over the back of the intake (possibly the easiest, apart from leaving it out, but not the most realistic)

4. Perhaps the more expensive option would be to take a mould of it via resin casting

Kind regards,

Sam

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hi everyone

The airfix Vulcan has ben taken out of the box of failed model kits, I fixed my problem with the air intake in the end, turns out it was a simple fix, :P, apart from that, nothing else has happened really, I decided to have a break from the Vulcan as rescribbing was getting tedious, I was working on my Lancaster bomber, but really nothing can compare to a avro Vulcan!

IMG_8053.jpg

Edited by Harrywilliams
  • Like 1

Another quick update, I'm thinking of making the Vulcan a diorama, can anyone suggest any addition parts I will need? I haven't seen any ground crew or equipment photos related to a avro Vulcan, will I need to scratchbuild the additional parts? or are there any sets, if it helps at all, I'm making XJ824, just incase you see any photos or anything of her.

harry

ps, do we have any Vulcan pilots here on britmodeller?

Edited by Harrywilliams

7 hours ago, Harrywilliams said:

Another quick update, I'm thinking of making the Vulcan a diorama, can anyone suggest any addition parts I will need?

Hi, hope this helps for research material: (not mine)

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/39411748@N06/tags/avrovulcan/

In terms of parts- this springs to mind http://www.aim72.co.uk/page128.html

I haven't built it, I gather they're quite a good, reliable manufacturer

Kind regards,

Sam

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Harrywilliams said:

Another quick update, I'm thinking of making the Vulcan a diorama, can anyone suggest any addition parts I will need? I haven't seen any ground crew or equipment photos related to a avro Vulcan, will I need to scratchbuild the additional parts? or are there any sets, if it helps at all, I'm making XJ824, just incase you see any photos or anything of her.

harry

ps, do we have any Vulcan pilots here on britmodeller?

I would take a look at Flightpath's website here:  https://www.djparkins.com/home.php?cat=245 they are quite big on modern RAF ground equipment.

Martian

• Like 1

Hi there Harry, good luck with your Airfix Vulcan, it will build up into an impressive model.

Here is a close up of the scratchbuilt crew entry hatch which I added to my Lindbergh 1/96 Vulcan B1. I hope it helps you with your project.

resized_5102e571-54cf-48b1-92f2-eb2c0782

Adrian

• Like 3

11 hours ago, adey m said:

Hi there Harry, good luck with your Airfix Vulcan, it will build up into an impressive model.

Here is a close up of the scratchbuilt crew entry hatch which I added to my Lindbergh 1/96 Vulcan B1. I hope it helps you with your project.

resized_5102e571-54cf-48b1-92f2-eb2c0782

Adrian

Thanks Adrian that will definitely help a lot! Enjoy the build :D

harry

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I know I know I haven't posted in ages:penguin: my mistake I'm sorry  To be honest I've been playing too much PlayStation! And then there were exams and then there summer heat arrived, and so on, I sprayed the Vulcan with a white primer first, then masked it and then sprayed it grey, my first time with an airbrush so it's not my best work but it's not bad, next I'll but the Dark green on, the grey is way too dark but it's ok, I'm still pleased with it.

IMG_0817.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_1115.jpg

Ok so it's not completely finished but I'm getting there, the colour sceme is XJ824 in 44 squadron, like I said I'm not completely finished but It's nearly complete,  considering it's my first time using an airbrush I'm happy with it. After the Vulcan what would you like me too build? Your choices are the following: 

1/72 Airfix dambusters Lancaster

1/72 Airfix Douglas Dakota

1/48 Revell Phantom

1/72 Airfix Avro Shackleton 

1/72 Airfix Harrier Gr1

1/72 Eurofighter typhoon

1/72 Revell Wellington 

(the list goes on for another 10 kits) 

-Harry:P 

Edited by Harrywilliams
  • Like 1

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 3:55 PM, adey m said:

Adrian, are the Lindbergh 1/96 Vulcan kit and the Revell 1/96 Vulcan kit the same? Saw the latter one published on a local page the day before yesterday, and I swear I didn't know that Revell even had a Vulcan kit in that scale.

Looking very nice indeed! :) Can't wait for the RFI!

My preference for kits would be the Airfix Harrier Gr1- it's an absolute gem of a kit and should be a breath of fresh air compared to the old Vulcan kit ;)

Sam

• Like 1