Revell Two-Seat 262 1/32

Ossington 2

Hi,

The main landing gear doors on the 262 were of 2 piece construction. The upper part was attached to the gear leg and was angled out towards the lower end.

the lower smaller door was attached to the movable part, whatever that was called! This part was slightly angled outwards towards the top. This was to allow for the suspension travel of the under carriage. The lower part traveled up inside the upper part. This is what you see when viewed either head on or directly from the rear. Upon retracting the 2 parts were closed flat. I've just looked through my 4 volumes of the Smith & Creek books and there is a facsimile taken from the official parts manual, on P648. The lower section is most certainly flat and not bulged.

As far as I know all the production Me262 shared the same main under carriage and doors.

Tim

Having got this kit in my hands, I broke it out of the box to check on those undercarriage doors, and I can say although the bulges are there, they are subtle and nowhere near as pronounced as those shown on the original post. I certainly won't feel the need to get a sanding stick on them; I'll just leave as is.

56 minutes ago, Mark Proulx said:

There is an extensive thread about this kit at LSP. On page 5, the gear door situation is discussed.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=64104&hl= gear  doors&page=5

HTH

Mark Proulx

Edited by brewerjerry
typo

3 hours ago, Mark Proulx said:

There is an extensive thread about this kit at LSP. On page 5, the gear door situation is discussed.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=64104&hl= gear  doors&page=5

HTH

Mark Proulx

Oboy- just when you think you've got something figured out, somebody comes along with a post that knocks you back into last week! Maybe I'll do one as abandoned with no lower strut fairing doors! Great  post, though- will definitely file it away for future reference!

Mike

After taking a look at that link/thread I've taken a look through some more of my 262 books, one of them being the JaPo book Messerschmitt Me262s of KG & KG(J) units, which is part of their Luftwaffe over Czech Territory series.

In it is a series of walk a round photos of W. Nr. 500200 Black X formally of 2./KG51 across pages 108 and 109 are 6 photos of the lower main gear doors, and yes if you look very carefully you can just make out a slight bulge, it's certainly not one that jumps out at you but it's certainly there!

Tim.