1/48 HAF F-16C Blk 50

Pappy

1 hour ago, mirageiv said:

Nice work Pappy (again)! 

How did you do the texture on the seat? Looks very convincing.

David.

Thanks David. I use small sections of sticking plaster (the stuff that normally comes on a roll inside first aid kits) cut to size.

Pappy

Lovely work Pappy, that intake looks great, I'm finding it the hardest part of the build so far....we don't talk about the new cockpit!

Everything else there is coming along nicely as well, the seat looks great too.

4 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Lovely work Pappy, that intake looks great, I'm finding it the hardest part of the build so far....we don't talk about the new cockpit!

Everything else there is coming along nicely as well, the seat looks great too.

Thanks Rich. The Hasegawa intake is probably the weakest part of the kit as it only provides a truncated intake and this in the form of the curved lower section that incorporates the nose gear bay. It does not really bear scrutiny when viewed closely but is good enough for a cursory pass. The advantage of only having a truncated 'half-intake' is that it is very quick to blend the seam where it touches the sides for the portion that is visible. The Tamiya approach of the full intake is obviously more realistic, however it does take greater effort to ameliorate the seams.

I just have to put the lid on and she should be getting ready for paint soon after that. At this rate I just may have to start another F-16!

cheers,

Pappy

G'day people,

Not much progress today as I spent most of the day surfing at the beach instead, however, the ventral strakes have been added,

DSCN4047_zpsv1cb12wj.jpg

I will need to add a couple more CMDS dispensers to the lower fuselage next. I probably should have done that before getting the fuselage together, oh well,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

It's a hard life for some ;).

Really enjoying your build.

I agree, spent the day sweating in the heat, unusually hot in Sydney today.....good beer weather though!! :beer::cheers:

23 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I agree, spent the day sweating in the heat, unusually hot in Sydney today.....good beer weather though!! :beer::cheers:

Oh my heart bleeds for you guys, must be terrible.

Any time you need to feel cooler just pop up to the Northern Hemisphere in January, that should make you appreciate the weather down under!

31 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Oh my heart bleeds for you guys, must be terrible.

Any time you need to feel cooler just pop up to the Northern Hemisphere in January, that should make you appreciate the weather down under!

I suppose we asked for that, but hey it can get cold here too, in winter it is not unheard of for the temperature to plummet to as low as 18 deg Celcius, I even pulled out a jumper once!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

isn't 18C a normal summers day over there?  :D

It can get as warm as 18C in summer, if we are lucky! But it will probably be raining, especially if you are planning on visiting an outdoor event such as an air show.

If you two ever do venture this far north you will probably need more than just a jumper, we use other clothing such as coats, hats and scarves. Look them up on the internet, you will get the idea ;).

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

It can get as warm as 18C in summer, if we are lucky! But it will probably be raining, especially if you are planning on visiting an outdoor event such as an air show.

If you two ever do venture this far north you will probably need more than just a jumper, we use other clothing such as coats, hats and scarves. Look them up on the internet, you will get the idea ;).

Yes the old ones used to speak of such things

• Like 2

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I was up your way the Christmas before last, Berlin for Christmas and Prague for NYE, was a we bit cold but lovely weather. The only place that was seriously cold and a wee bit miserable was Austria....and they deserved it! Did get a nice hat/gloves/jacket over there......just the thing for Sydney when it 12C!!

Opps sorry pappy....I think we have gotten off track :whistle:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Quite right, back to your wonderful F-16 build please!

I was wondering how long you guys would keep that up.  Back to regular programming,

G'day people,

I forgot to post this update. Hasegawa's later F-16CJ and block 50/52 family of F-16's include the later LAU-129 pylons. More importantly, the instructions provide very precise measurements for attaching the LAU-129's after the original older style wing tip pylons have been removed.

Hasegawa very helpfully supplies the lower wing halves with all the pylon location holes already opened, usually I like to load up my jets but unfortunately, in this instance I want most of mine filled as my jet will only have a minimal stores load. I filled the holes by first punching out a styrene disc and then adding a few drops of CA.

DSCN4016_zps0qd2lget.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 2

we could probably go on for ages....

That's different that they have the holes open for the pylons....it's usually something I forget to do before gluing the wing together!

Glad you use the plastic method, filler just never quite works and it can be very messy.

G'day people,

The next job I have tackled was one I had to work myself up to. The F-16A/B was originally provided with just two chaff/flare dispensers, one each side on the fuselage underside aft of the wings.

DSCN4047_zpsv1cb12wj.jpg

While passable, by modern kit standards this is a little dated. Through the course of the F-16s life its design has evolved to meet the anti-missile threat. This has meant that the small, sleek airframe has grown a number of lumps and bumps which are featured on the later F-16s, as well as some retro-fitted to earlier versions. The later F-16 variants now have four chaff/flare dispensers, one on the right as before, but the left side now has three dispensers. The PE set provides four of the required ALE-47 dispenser faces. I was tempted to just fit these over the top of the fuselage, but in reality, the dispensers are flush with the skin, so the PE facings would have to be recessed into the fuselage. I was not really looking forward to this job as I had already assembled most of the kit. A smart man would have performed this task prior to assembling the fuselage.

Anyhooo, I just put on my fave CD and got on with it.

I drilled out the extant dispensers and cleaned up the hole. I also used this as an alignment reference for the two other dispensers on the left side

DSCN4073_zpsgct21ge6.jpg

Once all four were done, the PE faces were dropped into place and thin CA was run around the edges.

DSCN4075_zpsyvn9gr8n.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Pappy said:

Once all four were done, the PE faces were dropped into place and thin CA was run around the edges.

cheers,

Pappy

Don't I just love it when it sounds soooo easy for You guys that have the talent! V-P

7 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Don't I just love it when it sounds soooo easy for You guys that have the talent! V-P

you do know that the one you see at the end was the one that was prepared earlier!  :D

• 2 weeks later...

G'day people,

I have managed to get some bench time on this one in between other stuff.

The ALE-47 dispensers have been faired in

DSCN4161_zpsbxuj9ror.jpg

The gun vent door added

DSCN4162_zpsgcosb7a8.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Well, unfortunately real life got in the way of me completing this kit before the GB came to an end, but I have made a little more progress today.

The throttle and sidestick controller have been added to their respective locations

DSCN4285_zpsxxbifukl.jpg

DSCN4286_zpseis0yi2p.jpg

I have also experimented with something new (for me!), I added some pastels around the cockpit sill and turtle deck area to simulate accumulated dirt

DSCN4288_zpsxak3yfat.jpg

Only a few more items to add to the cockpit before I call it done. meanwhile, the bases of the IFF antennas in front of the cockpit have been added

DSCN4287_zpszlmkql0n.jpg

I will add the antennas themselves once all the painting is complete to prevent me breaking them off during handling,

cheers,

Pappy

G'day people,

I have added a little more cockpit furniture. The oxy/comms hose was scratchbuilt using various diam. of copper wire. once painted up it was added to the aft right console

DSCN4308_zps9fh3hta0.jpg

Next up the HUD. I used the kit item with some prismatic film attached to the combiner glass sourced from Christmas decorations that i had saved.

DSCN4309_zpsqz2936wm.jpg

DSCN4310_zps4k5vdzta.jpg

DSCN4311_zpsoffliqns.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Nice work so far Pappy. I like the Hasegawa kits too for their simplicity. I'm always eager to get to the painting stage so these kits are ideal for that. When I am brave enough to start hacking at my kits I'll be back here for some pointers!