1/48 HAF F-16C Blk 50

Pappy

G'day people,

Who else is excited :yahoo:

This will be a HAF F-16C Block 50 of 341 mira. I will be basing my kit on the venerable old Hasegawa F-16C kit as I seem to keep picking these second hand kits for nearly nothing which allows me to spend up on the aftermarket stuff.

DSCN3882_zpspcj9d8px.jpg

DSCN3884_zpszn9p4ftl.jpg

However due to the age of the kit some additional bits and pieces like the parachute housing, exhaust, intake, antennas and other lumps and bumps are not present and will need to be sorted so I will be stealing bits and pieces from the gash box,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 4

welcome aboard and another Hasegawa F-16, they are the popular choice for the moment.

Cheap models, lots of extra money for AM stuff....I like your style!! :thumbsup:

It'll be interesting to see what you come up with, so good luck and look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

20 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

welcome aboard and another Hasegawa F-16, they are the popular choice for the moment.

Cheap models, lots of extra money for AM stuff....I like your style!! :thumbsup:

It'll be interesting to see what you come up with, so good luck and look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

Cheers Rich,

I guess a lot of people have off-loaded their Hasegawa F-16's for the newer Tamiya and Kinetic offerings, which I can understand, but the Has kit still builds into a nice model.

I have made a start. I will be keeping the AM stuff to a minimum, but the cockpit will get some additional love. The biggest fault that all the single seat Hasegawa F-16 cockpits suffer from is that the aft bulkhead should have a small recessed area that Hasegawa completely ignored.  'Tis a simple fix however, simply cut out the area and box in with styrene.

DSCN2505_zpslkutztyw.jpg

The cockpit sidewalls are a little plain too, so some PE will help here,

DSCN2508_zpse57obupi.jpg

DSCN2529_zpstxte0f7w.jpg

DSCN2531_zpsytdlcqrp.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, SimonT said:

Hang tight Pappy, start date is 7th January ;)

D'oh!

Oh well, still under 25%.

Man that week will take forever,

Thanks Simon,

Pappy

• Like 2

3 hours ago, trickyrich said:

But isn't Queensland a bit behind everyone else in summer!! :P 

Only by an hour (and 20years.....)

:P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lex77 said:

Nice choice Pappy, looking forward to this one.

Build a Hasegawa F-16 last year and they build op pretty nice.

G'day Lex,

I agree, I also built one last year, there is a link to it in my earlier posts. I find that the Has kits go together very quickly, especially if you keep the aftermarket to a minimum,

cheers,

Pappy

On 04/01/2017 at 5:11 AM, mirageiv said:

Lovely stuff Pappy, always a great watch your builds, :popcorn:

David.

G'day David,

Thanks very much. Well after having jumped the gun, the start date has finally arrived. This little guy will need to be squeezed in around a chopper and Sea Harrier builds, but F-16's are not too hard to get together, sooooo......

I have started getting the seat together. I will be using the kit seat with some additions.

DSCN2513_zpsgovzurbx.jpg

Early F-16 seats had fixed pitot probes either side of the headbox. On later F-16's and post service updates, many of the seats have been modified and the pitot probes now sit lower and flush against the headbox. I cut off the fixed probes and scratched up replacements as well as some other additions.

DSCN2517_zps2tyn952t.jpg

DSCN2518_zpskoqudl7j.jpg

DSCN2519_zpsoqjt1dk5.jpg

The cockpit tub and panel have also been assembled and are now ready for paint

DSCN2516_zpsx7gwo2sx.jpg

Likewise the intake and exhaust components

DSCN2515_zpsituofbhh.jpg

This is the first MCID (big mouth) Viper that I have built and the intake parts seemed to go together much better than the NSI. This may be because this was a later tooling by Hasegawa. The MCID intake and exhaust components were robbed from an F-16D kit. It only needed a smear of putty to blend in the intake.

Finally, the tail needs a parachute pack modification. I had to bite the bullet and use a resin conversion. This is designed to fit the Tamiya/Kinetic kits but I seemed to fit okay,

DSCN2509_zpsd6i8y99e.jpg

DSCN2523_zps4wqwbclr.jpg

HAF F-16's also need a bump on the right side, so again, the spares box was robbed.

Off to paint now,

cheers,

Pappy

\

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 5

G'day people,

The cockpit has been painted up,

DSCN2542_zpst13ddfdz.jpg

DSCN2543_zpses5wumpv.jpg

It is the stock cockpit that comes with the kit but the detail is very crisply moulded and looks pretty nice when painted.

After correcting the aft cockpit bulkhead by cutting out a section and boxing it in, some embellishment was added

DSCN2528_zpsbi7ob0ne.jpg

Which has also been painted up

DSCN2549_zpsmbbgciyc.jpg

The hot end has also been painted up. I added a PE flame holder to add a little more interest.

DSCN2547_zpsntqyqsaw.jpg

I was worried that this would not be seen once it was installed inside the exhaust tube, but it is very easy to see

DSCN2625_zps85hf4nu5.jpg

Meanwhile, I have also cleaned up the seam on the tail where the resin parapack part was added.

DSCN2631_zpsugqgzav3.jpg

DSCN2632_zpsjapxhxr0.jpg

Finally, the wings were assembled.

DSCN2534_zpsuec9wjtv.jpg

There are two problems here however, the first is that Hasegawa lower wing sections have all the stores station locating holes already opened, which is great if you want to hang a lot of gear off your jet but I don't in this instance.The second issue is that the wingtip launchers are not correct for later F-16's. l was able to locate a pair of LAU-129's from a Hasegawa weapons set, so the wingtip launchers will be sawed away and the new launchers grafted on,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 9

On 08/01/2017 at 5:13 PM, trickyrich said:

wow lovely work Pappy, I really like the cockpit detailing, very nicely done! 

On 08/01/2017 at 5:39 PM, SimonT said:

Agreed, the cockpit looks lovely as does the jet pipe.

22 hours ago, Arniec said:

Great work already done on the model. Love the cockpit.

Cheers,

22 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Superb work so far.

This is going to be a cracking build.

8 hours ago, Knetterik said:

Scratching in the pit is fantastic! Great work so far!

Erik

Thanks for all the nice comments fellas.

G'day people,

The intake seams have been dealt with,

DSCN2626_zpsxsta0x0o.jpg

The intake assembly has gone together with a minimum of fuss.

DSCN2634_zpsoz2lordu.jpg

I added the adapter for the LANTIRN pod but now my research leads me to believe the 341 Mira is primarily tasked with air defence duties, so I think I may have to get rid of the adapter, which will be a shame as well as some remedial work to clean up the intake - always check your references!

More work on the wings,

DSCN2629_zpsezusy9s1.jpg

DSCN2630_zpsjvodlc4y.jpg

The older wingtip rails have been sawn off and the ALR-69 antennas were added. Again these have been robbed from another F-16 kit as base kit is essentially an F-16C Blk 30 so it predates the arrival of these. Many operators have since retro-fitted the ALR-69 system, so again it is a case of check your ref's.  One of the great/ bad  things about building F-16is is that the jet configuration not only depends upon block number, but also the period in time time that you wish to depict. They are kinda like the Me-109's of the modern era.

Once the RWR's were cleaned up, the LAU-127's were added to the wingtips

DSCN2700_zpshnlmzocl.jpg

Finally test fitting the fuselage shows that the lower fuselage has experienced some warpage!

DSCN2537_zpsx7puhnzh.jpg

This is  second hand kit so not really that surprising. I think that once the intake assembly is installed the fuselage will join without any major issues - I hope :pray:

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 6

Brilliant work Pappy. I absolutely love the cockpit mod and really wish I’d known about that and had given it a go. But perhaps it’s for the best as I might have had to model a crashed Falcon by the time I’d finished. I think with your work here it shows that the Hasegawa kit can still more than hold its own with the Tamiya kit. I will follow with interest and take careful notes for next time.

On 09/01/2017 at 7:36 PM, Caerbannog said:

Wow - nice progress.

:thumbsup:

René

Cheers Rene

On 09/01/2017 at 9:10 PM, Filler said:

Brilliant work Pappy. I absolutely love the cockpit mod and really wish I’d known about that and had given it a go. But perhaps it’s for the best as I might have had to model a crashed Falcon by the time I’d finished. I think with your work here it shows that the Hasegawa kit can still more than hold its own with the Tamiya kit. I will follow with interest and take careful notes for next time.

Well it's not like it was a secret, I mentioned it about three posts in.

On 09/01/2017 at 9:36 PM, NontasB said:

Excellent work so far Pappy!! Nice to see a Greek Block 50 Falcon and I hope it will be very dirty (as usual).

Can't wait for more progress!!

Regards,

Nontas

I don't think you will be dissappointed

On 10/01/2017 at 4:27 AM, mirageiv said:

Lovely work Pappy, especially on the intake. The last shot looks rather 'Kinetic'!

David

I see what you did there David, very droll - lol

G'day people,

I have assembled the fuselage halves and attached the intake and wings.

DSCN2714_zpsow2xoqsl.jpg

I know the latex pour method is very much in vogue these days, but I was able to achieve a nice result with nothing more than a brush and some gloss white paint.

Another problematic area on Hasegawa F-16's is the fuselage/intake assembly seam. I ran a bead of water based putty and wiped it with a wet q-tip - simples

DSCN4017_zpscjlzgy5n.jpg

The main wings fit very well, I painted on some liquid putty over the seams

DSCN2710_zpsspxrvsrl.jpg

DSCN2711_zpsutscwn1c.jpg

The engine 'doughnut' panel is cleverly provided as a separate item as this is separate panel on the real jet too. I found that there were still some small irregularities between the contours of the fuselage and doughnut panel that required some small spots of filler here and there to even things out.

DSCN2698_zpsaq8koh5u.jpg

DSCN2699_zpsojyjw8op.jpg

Meanwhile, the driver's seat has been painted up

DSCN4031_zpsgdu7ywyu.jpg

The flash photography makes it look a little stark, it actually looks better when viewed with the eye, honest!

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 6