1/32 - North American P-51D Mustang by Revell - released - Piper Enforcer conv. set by Halberd Models & P-51B/C conv. set by Laminar Flow Design

Homebee

Lately , I have had this urge to build a couple of 32nd/35th scale models of attractive and iconic airplanes but the retail price of brands like Tamiya or Wingnut wings is a total deal breaker - I can purchase 4/5 eduard 48th scale kit for the price of a single tamiya mustang/spitfire or a wingnut wing biplane .  As such , it is good that brands like revell are offering us vastly cheaper alternatives ; I just hope that some brand also see the immense potential in affordable 32/35th scale biplane models   - a segment where Wingnut Wings at present enjoys near monopoly ( the only other option I can find in market is Roden and having built their 6$ 72nd scale models , I am not keen on paying 30$ for a 35th ) .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So this first release is a P-51D-5 without the dorsal fin fillet. That is nice, but will limit the possible alternate markings. Presumably, Revell will also release a block 10 and later version with the fillet and hopefully provide the Dallas hood and Aeroproducts prop so a P-51K will be possible as well. 

Edited by VMA131Marine

24 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

So this first release is a P-51D-5 without the dorsal fin fillet. That is nice, but will limit the possible alternate markings. Presumably, Revell will also release a block 10 and later version with the fillet and hopefully provide the Dallas hood and Aeroproducts prop so a P-51K will be possible as well. 

ON the video over at Hypercale, Brett mentions and shows the three different cowling oil cooler outlets. Perforated, Perforated and louvered, and solid. He mentioned that the Perf and louvered ones were typically founf on K models so there some hope.  

This is the sort of kit that hopefully will persuade more modelers to dabble in 32nd ,  

I've built numerous  32nd Mustangs over the years , including 3 Tamiya ones, but this kit really has me excited , cheap, but beautifully designed and produced , and I'm certain there will a many more Revell Mustangs in my future I can feel it , The investment I made in the Xtradecal RAF Mustang sheet a few years back seems to have a really good investment!!!

Bring on the K's - Until then I content myself with my very first LouIV!

• Like 1

While it looks like Revell could prepare a B model ,

I read somewhere ( but I can't remember where)  that there was  a  difference in cowling height between the B and D model and that this would be most noticeable in front of the windshield. One of the B or D cowling would be less rounded...

Can anyone confirm this ?

Thanks a lot.

Madcop.

there's been a 28 page discussion going over the differences between the B and D , the upshot seems to be that while the wings are similar , the B is essentially a totally new aircraft sharing few parts with the D.. 

have a look for yourself     LSP P-51 discussion

I have one WIP, half built Tamiya (which is NICE!) and one unbilt - and I still want a few of these..! :D The details look very crisp and nice.. Not how I remember Revell but to be fair, it was many a year since I built any Revell...

4 hours ago, colin ritchie said:

there's been a 28 page discussion going over the differences between the B and D , the upshot seems to be that while the wings are similar , the B is essentially a totally new aircraft sharing few parts with the D.. 

have a look for yourself     LSP P-51 discussion

Thanks for the link. Just read the 28 pages. Nice to see I was not that mad.

Thank you Colin

Madcop.

The RevG boxing will include Lou IV and Desert Rat. From my estimation RevUSA will take over this boxing in the first run. Maybe they will make an own boxing (with the same plastic) but different markings (and correct ill markings!) at a later point of time.

From the look of those test shots it seems like the wings are not covered in holes representing rivets, we can but hope.

I would think that making an accurate B/C model from an existing D would require quite a lot of changes to the mounds for as well as the obvious fuselage differences there are would be quite a few changes to be made to the wings.

Edited by Biggles87

1 hour ago, ABeck said:

The RevG boxing will include Lou IV and Desert Rat. From my estimation RevUSA will take over this boxing in the first run. Maybe they will make an own boxing (with the same plastic) but different markings (and correct ill markings!) at a later point of time.

Any RAF versions of this?

Hacker...there goes the neighbourhood

Didn't say there are not 'enough' Mustang kits on the market / coming. But on these volume kits I like choice. Without going too much off topic here, the Revell in 1/48 would be my preferred one atm. Airfix offering is also very promising (soon we'll see), but a later one. Eduard, Meng do love them their holes in the skin a little too much for me. So, I still see room in this market.

• 1 month later...
On 10/7/2017 at 4:52 PM, Basuroy said:

Lately , I have had this urge to build a couple of 32nd/35th scale models of attractive and iconic airplanes but the retail price of brands like Tamiya or Wingnut wings is a total deal breaker 

excellent news ..and yes, what he said. Finished their 32nd Mk IX earlier this year - lovely kit for the price. As is their 262 in this scale.

2 hours ago, spitfire said:

Just ordered one from eBay, can't wait to see it

You will not be disappointed!

It is a lovely kit, very well detailed and engineered. :)

• Like 1