1/32 - North American P-51D Mustang by Revell - released - Piper Enforcer conv. set by Halberd Models & P-51B/C conv. set by Laminar Flow Design

Homebee

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

What irritates me is the huge big fanfare  midnight at New Year roll out and under the clearing dry ice as the notes of the singing choir die away is..........humdrum routine 0 factor excitement.  Sure make a 1/32 P51 and add to the range, slip it out but don't make it sound like we are all being treated to something special.

All that happened is the same that happens every year. The list is posted at midnight and thats it. Someone suggested that there would be good news for British modellers but that was about all. No singing, no dry ice, no countdown, no facebook teaser campaign, no 24 day advent calender, no 11am meeting at Telford...nothing. Just a list. I don't really know how you could make it more low key. Morse code perhaps? Carrier pigeon? Maybe its the the time? Perhaps have it during the daylight hours when people aren't 'tired and emotional' and liable to get overexcited over plastic aeroplanes...

• Like 2

Plasto is quite correct.  When you look at it from Revell perspective it's a hole in the range duly plugged.  My beef with them is that it's hardly earth shaking so why treat it and us (as their marketing is directed in out direction) as if it amounted to the second coming.  It's not.  

They would have been better advised just to bring out a catalogue and leave it at that.  Then the reaction would have been more favourable.

You are suffering from a poor Google translation. The gist of what it says in German its that it is intended to compete with Trumpeter's kit.  The Trumpeter kit was of course vastly cheaper than the Tamiya kit so clearly they are not intending to position aywhere near Tamiya or ZM kit in terms of complexity and price.

14 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

You are suffering from a poor Google translation. The gist of what it says in German its that it is intended to compete with Trumpeter's kit.  The Trumpeter kit was of course vastly cheaper than the Tamiya kit so clearly they are not intending to position aywhere near Tamiya or ZM kit in terms of complexity and price.

In that case, it will do for me ;)

Marketing is a funny thing, over the last 7-8 years it's been undergoing a transformation as 'marketing' gets to grips with Social media. We now have buzz phrases like 'co creation' and 'insight led design'. Airfix's recent marketing efforts for example have played heavily on social media marketing and 'co creation' campaigns. Remember 'kit starter' that's classic co creation. 

If I had to 'market' a relatively flat product release schedule then a bit of a teaser campaign and releasing on the cusp of the new year might inject a modicum of X factor. 

Whats interesting is the Different approaches different companies take. 

Airfix lean heavily on social media and especially SM outlets they can control. They play the heritage brand for all it's worth.

Tamiya don't run much in the way of overt SM presence but circulate pre release kits into the forum world for build and commentary. They let the plastic do the talking.

Revell also play around a bit with SM.

Ultimately the kit will have to stand up to a fair bit of scrutiny given a Mustang is such an Iconic aircraft. What to expect is already being set. The benchmark is seemingly to be better than Trumpeter.

Given Revell 1/32 releases are reasonable in terms of detail engineering  and accuracy for the price. Hopefully we get the same with the P51..

Plasto

Hi folks,

please let me (again!) make one point clear:
My announcement on www.kitreviewsonline.de ist NOT AN OFFICIAL announcement by Revell of GErmany! It is only my private homepage and nothing official Revell!

Of course I attended the "News show" in November 2016 and did get these information (together with a lot of other journalists!) from the marketing and development department.

But the article on kitreviewsonline is mine and mine alone - nothing official from Revell.
I must confess (to be honest to all the readers out there) that I DO have personal connections to the development department because at least three of them are good friends of mine and one of the marketing dept. too. But I am NOT ON THE PAYROLL of Revell nor do I feel to be a trumpet-player for them. I simply do report what´s new and in case I can testbuild some testshots I am more than willing to share my experiences with fellow modellers! May they be positive or negative!

And if they are negative, I do have no "fear" whatsoever to point my finger to the problems of the kit! I don´t get money for advertising Revell kits, but I try to explain some ideas behind the decisions they make!

That´s it folks! Nothing more, nothing less!

Still I am happy with the anouncement of a Quarterscale Beau Mk.X, because the Cheyl ha´Avir (Israeli Air Force) had some in their inventory - so guess what I will be building out of my testshot ...

Michael

• Like 3

Revell, please do the wings the right way! Don't put panel lines and rivets on them! Yes I know Tamiya did it and was forgiven but you will NOT be forgiven you will be mocked and ridiculed. You will be subjected to even more and harsher criticism than Dragon! 

Anyway Michael, thanks for taking the time in sharing the Revell news in the Britmodeller forums.

Wish you all the best in 2017.

And for those who would like to read the Revell 2017 programme official announcement:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235011867-revell-2017-first-quarter/&do=findComment&comment=2590967

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2017/01/revealations-as-revell-of-germany-shows.html

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

12 hours ago, Homebee said:

Wish you all the best in 2017.

So do I ... so do I!

It is always a pleasure to share news and information about modelling ...

The next big bunch will be news from Nürnberg Toy Fair (February 1st til 6th) ... I´ll post as much as possible!

Promised

Michael

• Like 2

I'm happy, that new turbo conversion for the Tamiya kit that I want can now go onto a Revell kit, as the Revell kit will be at least £30, £50ish cheaper than the Tamiya kit. So it's win win for me, as I would love to do that conversion.

7 hours ago, Radleigh said:

I'm happy, that new turbo conversion for the Tamiya kit that I want can now go onto a Revell kit, as the Revell kit will be at least £30, £50ish cheaper than the Tamiya kit. So it's win win for me, as I would love to do that conversion.

Link to the future RESIN2detail 1/32nd Cavalier Turbo Mustang III conversion set you're talking about:

V.P.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Homebee said:

Link to the future RESIN2detail 1/32nd Cavalier Turbo Mustang III conversion set you're talking about:

V.P.

Well now, that might just make me forget my antipathy towards an otherwise mundane and uninspiring choice of subject!😁😁

Allan

What you know you will get from Revell is a beautifully molded kit at a very affordable price,yes like the Spitfire some odd inaccuracies

but for most of us the price will be a deal breaker I hope this means a bit more freedom and innovation for  the guys in Germany as 

since the US brought it back under control it's all been a bit underwhelming!

On 1/1/2017 at 11:02 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Revell - Why bother with reader polls and website customer  Wishlists? 

Im sure a 1/32 P-51 came nowhere near the votes received for a new tool 1/72 Avto Lincoln!!! 

Thats the last time I will waste my time on what would appear to be a very pointless excercise. 

I predict a new tool Blue Steel equipped Victor for 2018!! 

Cheers.. Dave

At the same time a 1/72 Lincoln would achieve nowhere near the sales of a 1/32 P-51.

I can fully understand how dedicated modellers like us may be underwhelmed by this announcement of such a new kit, at the same time though here we have a big manufacturer adding one of the most popular subject ever into their catalogue in a scale that is currently receiving a lot of interest. This means that the thousands of casual modellers who benefit from Revell's large distribution network will find a modern large scale P-51D kit at a good price.

Me, I'm not going to buy one, but I can see plenty others doing so

• Like 1

I also took part in the Revell poll Dave. I entered the 44" 1999 Eagle which received big support - Revell did not do it but others as we know :-D I also entered a 1:48 Hampden which got many votes plus several other kits. Well - the big question is who is taking part in these polls and who is buing the finalized kit. I daresay there is a difference. Besides the poll was not well made - it was quite obvious that some subjects were heavily pushed to astronomical votes by some interest groups. If these votes had anything to do with the real market, Revell would stop makeing plastic kits and concentrate on plastic figures in 1:72 scale. Airfix should extend their line - they can become world leader ship if they act now ;-)

Still such a poll can give new ideas to Revell and maybe other companies as well, so it makes sense to take part. In fact I wish there would be more such polls - but better made.

Back to the Mustang - it will sell. I am with Giorgio: It will sell. But not to me I guess.

René

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
6 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Pretty pictures. Shame someone didn't know how Mustangs wings were finished.

Well, you can't blame him. I mean that is a pretty obscure piece of information that never, ever, ever comes up in every single Mustang thread on every forum going since the dawn of time. So well done you for clarifying it, I'm sure he appreciates your expertise. Of course, if you do build a test shot that will probably be used as part of the box illustrations, then it's probably best to build it as is so that you illustrate whats in the box and don't worry about appeasing the Mustang nerds.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gary C said:

Well, you can't blame him. I mean that is a pretty obscure piece of information that never, ever, ever comes up in every single Mustang thread on every forum going since the dawn of time. So well done you for clarifying it, I'm sure he appreciates your expertise. Of course, if you do build a test shot that will probably be used as part of the box illustrations, then it's probably best to build it as is so that you illustrate whats in the box and don't worry about appeasing the Mustang nerds.

Another saucer of milk perhaps?

• 2 weeks later...