Steve's got his armour on!

stevej60

Excellent work Steve. The tracks on the carrier are extremely fragile, and I managed to snap both sets while stretching them in hot water. Luckily my dio 'Carry on regardless' had the carrier driving through marsh ground with surface water, and I was able to hide the repairs by sinking the carrier into the mud/water.

Although I hated building the Carrier, they DO look great and I think I may buy a couple or three to go with my next Churchill.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with yours.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Jeep in RFI folk's and popped carrier in a little dio in that sections RFI,thanks for tagging along and I'll keep the thread going for whatever

comes next!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folk's I watched a documentary on Tuesday night which prompted the purchase of Tamiya's old SAS jeep.It's a little older

I think than the standard Jeep built earlier but builds as well albeit without the engine etc.I thought I would see what can be

done weathering wise especially chipping and wear so before the sand is sprayed and research suggest's olive green was

the delivery colour I've primed her in that colour.

DSCN4617_zpscqdtllqz.jpg

• Like 2

Evening folk's the desert sand colour was sprayed on after maskol was dotted and brushed into the edges and foot wells etc.

DSCN4621_zpsaijwrjkc.jpg

and after drying I chipped and rubbed off with a cotton bud,I'm reasonably happy as a base for more weathering to come

DSCN4625_zpsluaxisll.jpg

DSCN4627_zpstcu7wp23.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 3

Hi folk's tyres painted along with the ammo boxes pack's etc,jerry cans assembled and some fitted I made the rack's with

evergreen strip and knocked up a base with poly filler on an old coaster and added scenic grass scrub.

DSCN4632_zpslnstbebe.jpg

• Like 4

That's going to turn out brilliant Steve, got the book Rogue Heroes by Ben Macintyre it's about the history of the SAS from my son for my Birthday last year, has a good picture of three jeeps in a row with five gas tanks on the hood, also on the side, and also the ones you have in the back, absolute brilliant book to read, man those guys were tough as nails.

Regards

Richard 

2 hours ago, Ripaman said:

That's going to turn out brilliant Steve, got the book Rogue Heroes by Ben Macintyre it's about the history of the SAS from my son for my Birthday last year, has a good picture of three jeeps in a row with five gas tanks on the hood, also on the side, and also the ones you have in the back, absolute brilliant book to read, man those guys were tough as nails.

Regards

Richard 

Thank's Richard,caught part two of the documentary last night on BBC 2,the guy you mentioned is the presenter,quite a few vehicles

were shown and different fit's for the Jeep's.

Hi Steve,

I hate to be critical when your jeep is 100% better than the one I'm doing at the moment, but is your steering column upside down?

The bracket half way up, seems to be floating rather than stuck to the bottom of the dashboard, I'm asking because I had mine fitted the same way as you then pulled it out and it seemed better the other way round. :shrug:

Ian..   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nutsabout said:

Hi Steve,

I hate to be critical when your jeep is 100% better than the one I'm doing at the moment, but is your steering column upside down?

The bracket half way up, seems to be floating rather than stuck to the bottom of the dashboard, I'm asking because I had mine fitted the same way as you then pulled it out and it seemed better the other way round. :shrug:

Ian..   

Hi Ian,its correct but not fixed in place into the dash I still have a bit if detailing of the clocks etc so I took it out till I'm done,which Jeep are

you building right now?

12 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Hi Ian,its correct but not fixed in place into the dash I still have a bit if detailing of the clocks etc so I took it out till I'm done,which Jeep are

you building right now?

Tamiya SAS Jeep 1:35, my first build since I was a kid.

Most of the Jeep is done, just got the figures and stuff like the kit bags to finish. I'll post pics for critique when finished, as I'm keen to learn from the awesome builders on here.

I have their Universal Carrier sitting under the bench to go next.

Great build by the way, I'll be interested to see your dash, mine is rubbish, each clock is a black outline and a blob of off white in the middle :fraidnot:

Ian..  

10 hours ago, Nutsabout said:

Tamiya SAS Jeep 1:35, my first build since I was a kid.

Most of the Jeep is done, just got the figures and stuff like the kit bags to finish. I'll post pics for critique when finished, as I'm keen to learn from the awesome builders on here.

I have their Universal Carrier sitting under the bench to go next.

Great build by the way, I'll be interested to see your dash, mine is rubbish, each clock is a black outline and a blob of off white in the middle :fraidnot:

Ian..  

Thank's Ian,remember it's baby steps till you hone your skills and this is a great place to learn get a fine black marker to do dials clocks etc

and a sharp cocktail stick for numbers etc,just noticed you are in Durham where about's?

• Like 1

On 2/14/2017 at 1:33 AM, stevej60 said:

Thank's Richard,caught part two of the documentary last night on BBC 2,the guy you mentioned is the presenter,quite a few vehicles

were shown and different fit's for the Jeep's.

That would have been a nice documentary to watch Steve, we don't get these over here.

Jeep is looking good

Regards

Richard

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ripaman said:

That would have been a nice documentary to watch Steve, we don't get these over here.

Jeep is looking good

Regards

Richard

Shame about that Richard,I thought in this internet age the BBC i-player would be available worldwide!

59 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Shame about that Richard,I thought in this internet age the BBC i-player would be available worldwide!

As far as I'm aware, it's only available in the UK. I can't even get it in France.

John.

• Like 1

Evening folk's nice little tenner in the Birthday card from my Mother in law so thought I would see what was in my LMS in

the armour section,and the SAS Land Rover was in stock for the first time in a good while and cost just over nine quid 

with the discount so this will be my next build in this thread.Now I had no idea the damn thing was molded in Pink so

once I got over the shock and donned the sun glasses I was again impressed with the beautiful molding's on another

very old Kit,here's what the box contains.

DSCN4649_zpsor6dahyy.jpg

And steps one and two.

DSCN4650_zpsvtof8lhr.jpg

DSCN4652_zps9h2y1xmb.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 4

Some nice looking models you have there Steve. Good luck with the Pinkie, a friend of mine used to ride around in one on active service a good few years ago, not with the SAS though, I keep meaning to build one for him.

Little tip I picked up a while ago for painting eyes, paint the ball in an off white or pale ivory colour before painting the skin colour in, add a vertical dark (grey/blue/green) line across it where the pupil will be, then paint the skin tone up to the eye lids, this saves touching up the skin after painting the eyes, and avoids the thousand yard stare look that can result from painting the eyes at the end.

• Like 1

HI folk's got an hour in tonight so progress on the upper body of the vehicle this is built up as two separate part as you can see.

DSCN4680_zpstg3dqfha.jpg

And both fixed in place with smoke discharger's etc.

DSCN4681_zpsdcz3bqtk.jpg

And same with the rear section,time to start painting!

DSCN4683_zpslx3c5bxn.jpg

• Like 2