Steve's got his armour on!

stevej60

9 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Great start there Steve, Nice work.

Doing something a little smaller can be quite nice therapy IMHO sort of less is more?

Has the Carrier still got those awful tracks? Plenty of mud may be your friend....

Not the best ones I've seen!:)

I've just finished that Bren Carrier for a dio under construction. Put the driver in but don't glue him in before you fit the steering wheel. The track join can easily be hidden by the front skirts/mudguard type things.

Don't do what I did and get a glue finger print on the starboard skirt after completion. It can be hidden by a scratch tarp roll.

If I have good light tomorrow I'll post a pic.

Edited by Darby
forgot to add.

Steve,

A few quick pics of the one I've just done. Indoor phots as light not great outside. You can see the tarp roll which still needs a retaining strap and some weathering. I did slightly hollow out the Bren muzzles. Still needs an antenna or two. Hope these are of some use.

Darbs

DSC00469.jpg

DSC00468.jpg

DSC00467.jpg

DSC00466.jpg

DSC00464.jpg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Darby said:

Cheers Steve,

If you have a decal mishap I have all the non Canadian ones spare should you need them.

Thank,s Darbs as you might expect I'm going for the Tyne/Tees divisional marking's,Monty said "wherever I go I will send for my 50th

Division" After Gazala,Alamein,Mareth etc I'm thinking the old sweats were not delighted to find out they were to go in on D-Day,that

said the men were so devoted to their regiment's that when many were landed as replacements at Salerno instead of returning after

being sick and wounded they "mutinied" and were treat disgracefully http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/worldwars/wwtwo/mutiny_01.shtml

• Like 2

Working on a little quick build at the moment in 1/48 scale care to guess what link's this to my big Heinkel 111 and a small village in County

Durham?

DSCN4428_zpsgfufdn7x.jpg

• Like 1

Would that be the attack on Easington Colliery? Back in 1980's you could still see a bomb crater in a field on the road from Horden to Grant's Houses. The pub at the bottom of Easington Colliery still had bullet holes in it's frontage (good group of five shots  about mid way up on the left hand side) as well as a side wall.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Darby said:

Would that be the attack on Easington Colliery? Back in 1980's you could still see a bomb crater in a field on the road from Horden to Grant's Houses. The pub at the bottom of Easington Colliery still had bullet holes in it's frontage (good group of five shots  about mid way up on the left hand side) as well as a side wall.

Close Darby,but no.Its the trolley for Tamiya's V1,they adapted them to be launched from Heinkel's over the North sea to bring the industrial North and 

Midlands into range an  attack on Lancashire on Christmas eve 1944 led to a stray to land on Tudhoe village near Spennymoor.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 2

Ah, Toadhole! Didn't realise V1's got that far up north. Question of a similar vein; I was told years ago there is a memorial to a German aircrew somewhere off the A19 as you go north just south of Sunderland on the left hand side. You can't see it from the road though. Any ideas on that one?

• Like 1

Morning folk's,nice quiet Sunday morning so cuppa on the table and a few project's moving on.base coat done and canvass seating painted.

DSCN4433_zpsc4u6m3za.jpg

DSCN4434_zps5wxd3y8h.jpg

And started painting all the ammo boxes,tarp's etc.

DSCN4437_zpstxenjk5t.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Close Darby,but no.Its the trolley for Tamiya's V1,they adapted them to be launched from Heinkel's over the North sea to bring the industrial North and 

Midlands into range an  attack on Lancashire on Christmas eve 1944 led to a stray to land on Tudhoe village near Spennymoor.

There is a great website here that covers this very subject - really interesting - http://aircrashsites.co.uk/air-raids-bomb-sites/a3/

• Like 1

It may have been easier to fit the tracks before the skirts unless you have a cunning plan. Mind you having said that, if you don't join them and leave a gap hidden behind the skirts you could work in a bit of sag. Be wary of getting the teeth on the rear drive wheels lined up and fitting in the tracks. I think my track holes had a little internal flash around them and were a bit tight.

• Like 1

Morning folk's,Darby has a good point so a test fit was done and I got a fit but as I want the tracks to sag I will leave till last,anyway

both are now about ready for weathering.

DSCN4454_zpsctl7zyu3.jpg

And tracks base painted and fitted.

DSCN4456_zpsabbmtmgh.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 2

Morning folk's I've ran a couple of washes into the recesses and added ammo boxes tarpaulin etc to the carrier.I assembled the various figures

which are now primed this part I,m not looking forward to not my strong point!

DSCN4477_zpst9klgzjm.jpg

• Like 5

Not my strong point either. I have tried the following method recently on those above figures. First I paint the skin tone then use a 5/0 to put the eye white in. This usually ends up over the nose and other areas. If so then touch around the eye with the skin tone. Once happy with the general eye shape I use a very thin bit of wire dipped in whatever colour then dot off any excess for the pupil and dot this in the eye.  Again if necessary touch up around the eye with skin tone. This generally gets rid of the Henry Hoover/ Marty Feldman effect I've had in the past. I used this method for the first time on the Masterbox Maquis figures and it turned out good enough for me. However, mouths are a different matter. The standing Tamiya figure above looked like he had lipstick on and the Maquis woman looked like Joan Crawford. Skin tone to the rescue here.

Obviously other methods are available.

• Like 1

I use grey instead of white, saw it recommended on a figure painting video I saw, it means the eyes dont stand out to much.  And mostly use a cocktail stick to apply.

• Like 1

Hi folk's I have dry brushed the highlights on both vehicles and put a dark wash in here and there then with the airbrush on low

"dusted"with an earthy colour,Tamiya give you a length of white string as rope for the carrier which when painted and fixed in

place looks pretty  good.the figures have been base coated in olive green and a base coat of flesh added first.The guy with the

water bottle wore no headgear so after a lobotomy now wears a helmet!

DSCN4481_zpsces8zwpg.jpg

DSCN4487_zpseqtgiqez.jpg

DSCN4488_zpsiy6wuvmk.jpg

I,ve had a tip off that a local store which does a few Airfix kit's has a Scammell Tank transporter in for a fiver,as I'm

off this weekend I'm popping into town for lunch(thank you Mrs Smith) it will be coming home with me as it's becoming

a rare kit these days not even my fave pre owned dealer has them thought the desert version might look nice with

last years Matilda on the back!

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Looking good there Stev nice plan with transporter look forward to watching that come together  :popcorn:

beefy

The word rhymes with "rollock's" Beefy,the shop had nowt left,but to be honest I would be better for now carrying on with 1/35

scale what with the old eyesight,KK has Italeri's White scout car at a cracking price and it's one of my favourite vehicles so I may

desert my local shop for next months pay day treat an order online.there's a superb one in Sunderland.

• Like 1

Hi folk's couple of hours on a project or two tonight and the figures have been detailed in their colours just some extra to do when I

get better light tomorrow after a coat of Vallejo base flesh I used a touch lighter dry brushed then thinned darker wash into the

hands face etc figures I love painting but not a fan of flesh tones!

DSCN4491_zpslqbpbl5e.jpg

You will notice one figure missing It is an awful one the guy would never have made it into the army the shape he was in even though

they were desparate so not wasting time painting him!

• Like 4