Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I 1:72

Hello Britmodellers

here is my last finished build for 2016. Its the new tool Spitfire Mk.I from Airfix in 1:72 scale. Build out of the box. Everything is written about that kit is most probably right, deep and wide panel lines, crude details, squadron codes too light but a very nice and relaxing build and the right stuff in busy times to keep the mojo running. And it looks pretty much like a Spitfire.

Painted with Humbrol and Model Master enemals. The kit was primed in black so not much washes only on the upper sides. Chipping applied with a thin brush.

Spit4

This build was declared as finished some days ago but the unvorgiving eye of the camera revealed a large gap under the canopy. Filling and sanding seams around painted and fixed clear parts is not really my strongest point and it can be seen.

A picture of the look before is included too.

Looked way better without digicam..

spit152

The antenna wire is made from Uschi von der Rostens "rig that thing" superfine.

A happy, peaceful and healthy new year to all Britmodellers and their families !

Cheers

Bernd

Edited by BerndM
Photos now from Flickr
  • Like 35

Great Spitfire Bernd, and well done blending in the canopy, never the easiest of fixes. Love the paintwork and weathering. All the best for 2017, and enjoy a few beers tonight :drink:cheers Greg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Great Spitfire Bernd, and well done blending in the canopy, never the easiest of fixes. Love the paintwork and weathering. All the best for 2017, and enjoy a few beers tonight :drink:cheers Greg

Thanks for commenting my friend :)

After all a very pleasant build with a good result, more soon here.

All the Best for you and your Family for 2017 as well.

Guess i will taste some liquid sunlight tonight:jump_fire:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sean said:

Nice one Bernd, I love the Airfix Spitfire myself, and you've done a great job with yours...:goodjob:

Sean

Thank you Sean, appreciated :)

Have a peaceful and healthy 2017 mate !

1 hour ago, Mario said:

Hi Bernd!

Another great Spitfire! Nice, that you managed to finish it before the year is over. Wish you a happy 2017 and thank you very much for the Boeing!:)

Mario

Hi Mario

Thank you and it was finished just in time and the result is quite pleasing.

You was that !! Happy modelling with this rather huge kit.

Guten Rutsch !

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mountain goat said:

Blending in the windscreen adds so much to the look of the model, this Spit looks really nice - nice finish as well.

Jay

Thanks for this kind comment, Jay !

It was a must to do this because the look of the kit would be ruined with that gap under the canopy.

12 minutes ago, Mark4700 said:

Spit looks fantastic. Excellent with the Zero and Fw 190. I'm impressed with the current Airfix kits. 

Thank you Mark and yes the recent Airfix kits are not perfect but a good value for the money and fun to build.

2 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

What better way to end the year Bernd,great little Spitfire,all the best!

Hi Steve, thanks for the compliment :)

And all the Best for 2017 to you, mate !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

A lovely Spitfire Bernd, restrained weathering too.

Have a great New Year.

Simon.

Thank you Simon and a happy and healthy 2017 for you and your family..

Working in 1:72 is difficult because of the size but i am pretty happy with the result.

• Like 1

What you've done there is discovered that taking photos of models can bring your attention to a lot of issues you just don't see when you look at the real thing in the display cabinet. It can be a useful way of 'troubleshooting' during construction!

I'd be very pleased with that result, it has a really nice, sympathetic weathering which suggests a hard-worked but well-maintained wartime machine.

Will

• Like 1

Hi Bernd. Hope you are keeping well. That looks excellent and good save on the canopy. :thumbsup: For all its faults I still think it makes into a nice model. This was one of the first kits I built in a GB on Britmodeller so I have fond memories of it and always enjoys seeing others' builds of it.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Killingholme said:

What you've done there is discovered that taking photos of models can bring your attention to a lot of issues you just don't see when you look at the real thing in the display cabinet. It can be a useful way of 'troubleshooting' during construction!

I'd be very pleased with that result, it has a really nice, sympathetic weathering which suggests a hard-worked but well-maintained wartime machine.

Will

Thank you very much for your kind comment, Will.

The zoom effect of a camera can cause a lot of trouble during a build, sometimes its an improvement to make better models sometimes not.

A while ago i was very disappointed after looking at the pictures of the instrument panel of Eduards F6F-3 in 1:72. It looked fantastic as build but toally different in the macro modus of our digicam.

It was installed and the fuselage was closed silently...

For the windscreen i think it was woth to improve the look of it.

Bernd

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Bernd. Hope you are keeping well. That looks excellent and good save on the canopy. :thumbsup: For all its faults I still think it makes into a nice model. This was one of the first kits I built in a GB on Britmodeller so I have fond memories of it and always enjoys seeing others' builds of it.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks for commenting, Stix. The Spitfire Mk.I is a great starter kit for beginners or more experienced modellers with a dire need to have something new in the display.

The camo neutralise the effect of the deep panels and it looks like a Spitfire. Also i think its better to go with the Airfix Spitty than with the new tool Revell Mk.II which looks somewhat odd to me, but i am no expert.

Guess i should have a deeper look in your gallery.

Have a great week

Bernd

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

A beautiful Spit and a fine collection,  I didn't notice the gap under the canopy until you pointed it out.

Thank you very much, it became really visible in the photos and the effort was worth to do it.

The next addition will the Tomahawk Mk.I starter set which will be finished ( hopefully ) quite soon.

Bernd

29 minutes ago, BerndM said:

Thank you very much, it became really visible in the photos and the effort was worth to do it.

The next addition will the Tomahawk Mk.I starter set which will be finished ( hopefully ) quite soon.

Bernd

I look forward to seeing it.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

I look forward to seeing it.

Here is a quick preview. Decals are on but what looks like a relaxing tour to the finish is more difficult than thought.

I have used Dark Earth and Mid Stone for the upperside and Model Master Azure Blue for the underside. The paint job was basicly done during the painting of my Spitfire Mk.VB with the same colors.

The color suggestions Airfix made on this release are wrong, The spinner should be red instead of black but i guess they had to do this with the only four colors in this set.

My spinner is red.

My camo scheme needs also some corrections, especially the DE wrapped around the nose. Its too far to the front, the DE portion under the shark is beyond help.

Interior color is also difficult, i have used a color similar to US Interior Green, Hu 117. The used shades in the Tomahawk are heavily discussed. Anyway here are the promised pics of my shark.

tom1_zps7hlz8xmq.jpg

tom2_zpshqfhrqmp.jpg

tom3_zpsuxsiheig.jpg

I have slightly re sprayed the camo curvature, the aircraft was most probably repainted and i have tried to show this. Airfix and Barracuda as well are showing a Azure area around the letter F i have seen this too late ( looks better without )

tom4_zps8gwenej5.jpg

To get the teeth around the nose wasn t easy. Some touch ups are needed here.

Cheers

Bernd

• Like 1