Reference thread

ok here a few bits and pieces either provided to me or found that may help members.

f-16%20blockupdated_zpspknmuxlu.jpg

We can all thank ROBERT for this one.

plus this I found over on the ClubHyper website, it's namely for the 1/48th Tamiya models and if you want to build USAF aircraft, but still it's interesting reading. 

How to build various F-16 Blocks using Tamiya's kits

• Like 3

This is someone elses  build from another site of an F-16 "Have Glass".

The really interesting piece in this build is the mix they used for the paint job, they mixed Tamiya acrylic paint with Alclad lacquer then thinned the whole lot down with lacquer thinner before spraying it over a base coat of Alclad lacquer. The results, well not a curdled mess but a really cool paint finish!

Here is the link for any who are interested

1/48 Tamiya F-16C BL52 Have Glass V Scheme

• Like 1

Some walk around links and detail shots that are pretty decent found here:

Block 10 (uprgraded from Blk 1) and helpful for anyone doing an early A for detail shots of specific antennae, RDAF F-16A: http://www.zim-pix.com/danish-f-16a-e-174.html

Loads of highly detailed photos of KLU F-16s, (MLU etc..) : http://www.ipms.nl/walkarounds/walkaround-vliegtuigen-jets/799-walkaround-f16-mdv.html

Interesting and quite useful virtual F-16A cockpit tour: http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/media/077/F-16A Cockpit.html

David.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Stephen said:

This is one of the best online references for US Vipers I know of,

http://www.zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=231

thanks for that, what an awesome read, just so many great photo's plus the details about all the mods as well. :thumbsup:

Ok some of you may have seen this site as well, lots and lots of good info on here are well!

Cybermodeler F-16 guide

Plus this guy always has some interesting info, his serial number list for US built WWII aircraft is the bible! 

Joe Baugher F-16

The fantastic Viper website http://www.f-16.net can't be missed here! I especially like the database a lot, ALL F-16's ever produced can ben found here. With information about block, fate etc.

Last week I was at the Dutch military museum, made a couple of detail photo's of the block 1 F-16 present there. Is it a good idea to post them here?

Erik

Edited by Knetterik
wrong link
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Knetterik said:

The fantastic Viper website http://www.f-16.net can't be missed here! I especially like the database a lot, ALL F-16's ever produced can ben found here. With information about block, fate etc.

Last week I was at the Dutch military museum, made a couple of detail photo's of the block 1 F-16 present there. Is it a good idea to post them here?

Erik

yeah why not, as long as there arn't too many.

Some photos of the US Air Force Flight Test Center F-16 test support fleet - we (the guys in the test forces) referred to them as the Bozo Fleet. Some of these jets came from the dedicated test force (the 6516th Test Squadron - part of the F-16 Combined test Force - later the 416th Flight Test Squadron) as testing began to focus more on Block 30 and higher. Others came from the Tactical Air Command - mostly the 58th TTW at Luke - as they were replaced with Cs and Ds.

The F-16s in the test support fleet (6512th Test Squadron, later the 445th Flight Test Squadron) eventually replace the A-7 and F-4 as they were retired in 1991 and 1992. Some of the F-16s were configured to replace the NF-4E in the cruise missile chase mission - acquiring a control panel for missile flight termination in the rear cockpit and carrying a special instrumentation pod on the centerline. I never did get a picture of that pod, but I remember thinking it looked like a converted HiPEG gun pod that the Navy used, only without the protruding gun barrel.

The pics:

82-1047 in 1992, transferred from the CTF. Note the AF Materiel Command shield on the tail. AFMC supplanted AF Systems Command in 1992.

82-1047%206512ts%20cr%2019920925%2031_zp

80-0633 in 1991, from Luke. Systems Command shield on the tail. Note that the right wing root panel is removed.

80-0633%206512ts%20cr%2019911100%2035_zp

81-0688 over the Boron mines in 1992. This was the 412th Test Wing commander's jet at the time. The canopy rail name is BGen Rich Engel. The red nose scallop on the centerline tank was non-standard. Since there are no wing tanks and the center wing station pylons are present, this jet was probably recently used as a radar test target, where threat ECM pods would have been carried on the pylons.

81-06886512tsED1992122235.jpg

81-06886512tsED1992122202.jpg

79-0409 in 1990 (yeah, the copyright date is wrong). Has the name "ROCKY" inside the nose gear door.

79-04096512tsED1990071733.jpg

78-0088 in 1991. At first it carried the name "MISS PIGGY", but was changed to "CRAZY EIGHT" in summer 1991.

78-00886512tsED1991100610.jpg

78-00886512tsED1991100607.jpg

78-0080 still carrying the Luke nose number before going to the paint barn for its albino costume. Carried the name "PROBLEM CHILD". This is one of two jets that were painted only white with no red markings. The red markings were later added after about a year.

78-00806512tsED1991100621.jpg

78-0007 in 1991. Would have expected a reference to James Bond, but she carried the name "THE REBEL" inside the nose gear door.

78-00076512tsED1991080837.jpg

78-00076512tsED1991080818.jpg

Hope this is useful to someone.

Sven

Old Viper Tester

• Like 7

Family model canopy details.

When I built my Air Defense Fighter F-16B, I remember thinking that the canopy support frame provided by Hasegawa was pretty simplistic. Unfortunately I was at the end of the build and I was getting impatient, so I just went with what was there.

When I was finished, I thought I should have tried to make it more like the real thing, and maybe I will on the next one (I can dream).  Some pictures to illustrate…

This is 80-0635 in 1984, at the time assigned to the LANTIRN Combined Test Force. I don’t think the canopy support frame, the L-shaped structure connecting to both sides of the canopy, is as high as that hunk of angle-iron that is in the Hasegawa 1/72 kit. Also visible are the alignment and limit pistons running from the canopy rails to the folding plate that connects the support frame and the canopy actuating ram. Note also some evidence of recent cannon fire.

80-0635%20lantirn%20ctf%20cr%2019840309%

That’s the LANTIRN “Havoc in the Dark” shield on the tail. Microscale provided it on their sheet 72-526 for aircraft 81-0816.

Same aircraft in 1989. Shows the frame, the folding plate In the up and aft position and the left alignment piston.

80-0635F-16ctfED1989010013.jpg

Love the “kill” markings

Nose-on, same aircraft showing the detail of the support frame.

80-0635F-16ctfED1990081624.jpg

80-0635F-16ctfED1990081621.jpg

That’s a Coronet Prince pod on the right intake station.

‘635 again for comparison with 83-1176 below. When closed, the plate connected to the actuating ram folds down and forward, so that the ram is pretty much in the plane of the canopy support frame.

80-0635F-16ctfED1990081630.jpg

That's a flight test display/HUD repeater mounted atop the rear cockpit canopy coaming.

When raised, the plate rotates up and aft such that the actuating ram is now behind the plane of the canopy support frame.

83-1176416tsED1992122308.jpg

Note also that the gun and ammo drum have been removed and replaced with special instrumentation recording and telemetry equipment. Usually, special test equipment that was not normally found on operational jets was painted orange and used orange wiring. At this time we were still playing with magnetic tape, so this equipment filled the entire gun and ammo bays – you can see part of an orange box peeking out of the gun bay vents.

Now... More building, less posting. More building, less playing with the dog. Hey, there's almost a whole week between the end of the GB and having to finish doing my taxes....

Sven

Old Viper Tester

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Old Viper Tester said:

Family model canopy details.

When I built my Air Defense Fighter F-16B, I remember thinking that the canopy support frame provided by Hasegawa was pretty simplistic. Unfortunately I was at the end of the build and I was getting impatient, so I just went with what was there.

When I was finished, I thought I should have tried to make it more like the real thing, and maybe I will on the next one (I can dream).  Some pictures to illustrate…

This is 80-0635 in 1984, at the time assigned to the LANTIRN Combined Test Force. I don’t think the canopy support frame, the L-shaped structure connecting to both sides of the canopy, is as high as that hunk of angle-iron that is in the Hasegawa 1/72 kit. Also visible are the alignment and limit pistons running from the canopy rails to the folding plate that connects the support frame and the canopy actuating ram. Note also some evidence of recent cannon fire.

80-0635%20lantirn%20ctf%20cr%2019840309%

That’s the LANTIRN “Havoc in the Dark” shield on the tail. Microscale provided it on their sheet 72-526 for aircraft 81-0816.

Same aircraft in 1989. Shows the frame, the folding plate In the up and aft position and the left alignment piston.

80-0635F-16ctfED1989010013.jpg

Love the “kill” markings

Nose-on, same aircraft showing the detail of the support frame.

80-0635F-16ctfED1990081624.jpg

80-0635F-16ctfED1990081621.jpg

That’s a Coronet Prince pod on the right intake station.

‘635 again for comparison with 83-1176 below. When closed, the plate connected to the actuating ram folds down and forward, so that the ram is pretty much in the plane of the canopy support frame.

80-0635F-16ctfED1990081630.jpg

That's a flight test display/HUD repeater mounted atop the rear cockpit canopy coaming.

When raised, the plate rotates up and aft such that the actuating ram is now behind the plane of the canopy support frame.

83-1176416tsED1992122308.jpg

Note also that the gun and ammo drum have been removed and replaced with special instrumentation recording and telemetry equipment. Usually, special test equipment that was not normally found on operational jets was painted orange and used orange wiring. At this time we were still playing with magnetic tape, so this equipment filled the entire gun and ammo bays – you can see part of an orange box peeking out of the gun bay vents.

Now... More building, less posting. More building, less playing with the dog. Hey, there's almost a whole week between the end of the GB and having to finish doing my taxes....

Sven

Old Viper Tester

G'day Sven,

Post as much as you want, I always learn stuff when you post, you should write a book!

cheers,

Pappy

Great set of pictures Sven! Nice to see a B model which was capable of having a lantirn pod on the intake. And thus the landing light on the front wheeldoor. Never seen that before on a early B model! But I understand it was a test Viper? Also the, i presume,  WAR HUD is nice to see. That is something unique for the block 40 F-16CG? I recon this was a testbed for future blocks?

Nice to see more test pictures! 

Erik

20 hours ago, Pappy said:

I always learn stuff when you post

Thanks Pappy!

13 hours ago, Knetterik said:

Nice to see a B model which was capable of having a lantirn pod on the intake. And thus the landing light on the front wheeldoor. Never seen that before on a early B model! But I understand it was a test Viper?

Correct Erik. All of these were test jets and incorporated upgrades for development and integration into later blocks. F-16A s/n 81-0688 and F-16Bs 80-0635 and 81-0816 were assigned to the LANTIRN Test Force. All of these jets were Block 15 models and LANTIRN wouldn't become an operational fit until Block 40. When the LANTIRN work was done, these jets were all taken back into the F-16 Combined test force for other tasks.

Another Block 15 jet, 80-0550 was used to test the aerodynamic implications of the LANTIRN pods.

80-0550F-16ctf1983102937.jpg

To continue its utility as a performance and flying qualities test jet, it was later given a "C" model vertical tail to simulate an F-16C.

80-05506516tsED1990030706.jpg

80-0550F-16ctfED1982102006.jpg

From the outset, '550 was also fitted with provisions for a spin recovery chute mounted on a quadrapod. the above photos show the mounting flanges and the bands used to distribute the parachute loads over the airframe. This is the quadrapod:

80-05506516tsED1991012510.jpg

And this pic shows the spin chute mounted on 83-1120, the third Block 25 F-16C.

83-11206516tsED1989051013.jpg

83-11206516tsED1989051022.jpg

If the aircraft entered a spin or deep stall and did not recover by a set safety altitude, then the spin chute was deployed, pulling the tail up, pointing the nose down, aligning the wings with the airflow, creating lift, and return to controlled flight. If that didn't work, you were to eject if not recovered by 10,000 ft AGL.

'120 was also the test jet for the GE -110 engine and "Big Mouth" intake.

Now, how to replicate the spin chute installation in 1/72 scale?

Sven

Old Viper Tester

Edited by Old Viper Tester
Corrected s/n
  • Like 4

Great set of pictures again Sven!! Reminds me of Code One magazines which my dad received from Lockheed personal who he worked with at his 47 years at Fokker!

But that F-16A '550 with the C-tail would be a great subject for a model, think a lot of people will be screaming that it is not an A :D  Think I have a new future project!

11 hours ago, Old Viper Tester said:

Now, how to replicate the spin chute installation in 1/72 scale?

Luckily I am 1/48 builder but that spin chute will still be a challenge...

Thank for the pictures!

Erik

It' would be a wee bit of a challenge but very do able in 1/48th, once you have the correct locations for the fuselage the rest is mostly tube work. But those mounting points would be fun to make!!!

5 hours ago, Knetterik said:

Luckily I am 1/48 builder but that spin chute will still be a challenge...

Danny Attree did these in 1/32 scale on his fantastic F-16XL build last year...

I'm looking at that for inspiration, but I'm still mulling about doing it in plastic, as Danny did, or taking a page from Tomoshenko and doing it "take-away" aluminum.

Sven

Old Viper Tester

• Like 1

On 15/01/2017 at 7:15 AM, Old Viper Tester said:

Some photos of the US Air Force Flight Test Center F-16 test support fleet ...

<snip>

Hope this is useful to someone.

Sven

Old Viper Tester

- understatement of the year I suspect Keith.

Thanks very much for the photos, additional information and detailed explanations. Your posts are very interesting and really help to understand a great deal more about these Test jets.

Andrew.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...