source of British United decals for Bristol Britannia

bootneck

I am planning a future project to build a diorama in 1:144 scale of the scene below.  It is of the dispersal area at Kuching Airport in the 1960's and the scene of a lot of military and civil air activity during the Borneo Confrontation.  I served in Borneo in the latter part of the conflict, 1966-67, and this photograph epitomises the busy scenes around the air base.

Hastings_TG520_at_Kuching_1024.jpg

All of the aircraft visible in this scene are available in 1:144 scale and I am slowly acquiring them for my build; however, I am not certain if there is a set of decals available for a British United liveried Britannia, shown in the far right of the picture.  Can anyone advise if such a set is available and, if so, who produces them?

Thanks

Mike

Wow! that must be a record for a response.   It says they are Laser printed, does that mean they are all one piece on the sheet or individual decals?

cheers.

Mike

I have the 26 BUA sheet and it is laser printed.  You need to cut out each individual decal and because laser decals are translucent they must be applied over a white background so you need to mask the division between the white and natural metal very carefully.  Otherwise there is nothing difficult or special about using laser decals.  If you want to see a Britannia built using laser 26 Decals here is my Donaldson International model which I built for the recent Airliners Group Build.  

HTH  

Dave G

• Like 1

Thanks,   I'm not very good with airliner models and the prospect of cutting the decals specific to a shape sounds a little daunting to me.   Anyone know of any other sources for these?

cheers.

Mike

1 hour ago, bootneck said:

Thanks,   I'm not very good with airliner models and the prospect of cutting the decals specific to a shape sounds a little daunting to me.   Anyone know of any other sources for these?

cheers.

Mike

As far as I know nobody does silk-screen 1/144 BUA Britannia decals so if I'm right it's laser or nothing.

There is no cause to be concerned.  All you need is a metal straight edge and a scalpel with a new blade.  Then you just cut out whatever decal you need - cheatline, fuselage title, flag or whatever - and apply it like any other decal. The curved areas around the nose can easily be cut free-hand.  The decal film is transparent so even if you don't cut right up to the edge of the design it shouldn't show on the final model.  If you run into any problems along the way, just ask on the forum and somebody is sure to help.

I really would encourage you to give laser decals a try - if you ever decide to build more airliners, using laser decals opens up a vast range of schemes which are never likely to be produced in any other medium.  As the Chinese saying has it, a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. :)

Thanks.  It will be a while before I get to a stage of applying decals so I am sure that I will come around to the laser approach.   I still have all those aircraft to build, their setting, and the overall layout to work out before I get to any painting and decalling.

cheers

Mike

If you take your time, 26 decals will do the trick every time. As a project l have set myself the task of modeling as many of the Britannia's that came regularly to Manston either visiting or in for maintenance. A big task, but I have been waiting years for a decent 1/144th  Britannia. As suggested elsewhere I wish to track the Invicta aircraft in model form. G-AOVF and G-ANCF had lon carriers so makes a good excuse to model BOAC,  MONARCH,  and British Eagle etc. Happy building and new year to you all.