Wessex Mk52 Iraq correct nose?

loloskymaster

Hi all,

Iraq had 12 Wessex HC.2 localy named Mk52. They had the nose like HC.2 or HU.5 but without the bulge with filter.

I have a project to convert a 1/48 Italeri Wessex into a Mk52 so, does someone here know if that sort of nose exist in resin or maybe another kit?

This is my project:

MGalleryItem.php?id=15701

I hope you have a positive answer for me ;)

Regards,

Lolo

Edited by loloskymaster

That looks as if it is the basic Wessex nose from the HAS types, it's big enough to bear both engines inside, the filter being added to prevent FOD ingestion because of twice the possibility of debris damage

If I was modelling that I would bung a Twin Gnome exhaust on a Frog kit and add wheels from an Italeri or Matchbox model because the Frog wheels are a little bit "Swamp Flyer"

Aha, only just noticed the panorama windows, so forget the more accurate Frog and use one of the available HAS versions, probably Italeri I fear. 😠

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

Italeri do that style nose in their HAS.1 kit, might be worth asking them for this item.

They are pretty good, I ordered some long out of production H-19 parts and I got them within 3 weeks, you will probably have to pay a small fee though.

They are main parts 26B, 27B, and smaller parts 20B 33B, of kit number 2744.

The Mk.52, 53, & 54  designations were given by Westlands for the export Wessex HC.2.

Perdu, Lolo is using the 48th scale Italeri kit.

Edit,

BTW not sure which kit you're using but suspect the UH.5 (should be HU.5) box?

There are some other subtle differences between the Navy HU.5 and the RAF HC.2 (and Mk.52-54), hopefully someone can point them out.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

Hey, thank you, 71Chally!

That's a nice solution. I just have to drill another hole for the exhausts.

Yes, I start with the HU.5. Mk.52 to 54 look a bit different to HC.2, and closer to HU.5.

Sales are starting on monday, may be I will get a HAS.1 kit to pick the right parts and use the HU.5 nose with the HAS.1 body to do another version...

If someone can list the differences between HU.5 and Mk.52-54 (near HC.2), he will be welcome!

Thanks,

Lolo

• Like 1

With large windows and that nose it has to be the HAS1 or HAS3, same basic nose shape, the HC2 uses the small windows and different avionics

Then just add the twin engine exhausts

Basically not a difficult change

Crew seats will be trooping type canvas against the side walls just like the other cargo/trooping set up

No anti submarine kit to be added by which time you will have quite a different looking Wessex

Good plan. :thumbsup:

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, loloskymaster said:

That's a nice solution. I just have to drill another hole for the exhausts.

Lolo

No, I don't think you need to do that.   You will have the right parts in your HU.5 kit for the exhausts and the nose section (15 & 20B) that they mount to.

The new bits will just be the extreme nose intake parts from the HAS.1 kit. 

You will have to adapt some parts together, I think your new HAS.1 26B intake part will have to be fitted to the cut off rear part of the 26B intake of your HU.5 kit to fit the nose section properly, as there is a step in the HU.5 nose profile.  Will try and illustrate it but have to give me a day or two.

Hope that makes sense. 

Make sure you look at some drawings, and trial fit on you kit parts.

With the cabin windows, I can't remember if the HC.2 are different to the HU.5

As for buying a HAS.1 kit to fit your spare HU.5 nose (remember it will be cut) on, I'm not sure that will work as the nose profile is deeper on the HC.2/Mk.52 and HU.5.

James

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

Quick and dirty sketch,

The red part is the bit that you will need to cut off from part 26B of the HU.5 kit and join to part 26B of the HAS.1 kit outlined in blue.

However, before you make any cuts, make sure dimensions are right for all the parts to join each other properly - as I haven't tried this!

31162379064_55371b7e97_b.jpgWessex Mk.52 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Mark1 models did all theses variants in one box, so you might be able to see how they did the parts, here mkm14428_wessex_special_schemes_camo.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, perdu said:

With large windows and that nose it has to be the HAS1 or HAS3, same basic nose shape, the HC2 uses the small windows and different avionics

Then just add the twin engine exhausts

Basically not a difficult change

Crew seats will be trooping type canvas against the side walls just like the other cargo/trooping set up

No anti submarine kit to be added by which time you will have quite a different looking Wessex

Good plan. :thumbsup:

Great, Perdu!

Thanks, it looks relatively easy to do.

:king:

Lolo

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Quick and dirty sketch,

The red part is the bit that you will need to cut off from part 26B of the HU.5 kit and join to part 26B of the HAS.1 kit outlined in blue.

However, before you make any cuts, make sure dimensions are right for all the parts to join each other properly - as I haven't tried this!

31162379064_55371b7e97_b.jpgWessex Mk.52 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Mark1 models did all theses variants in one box, so you might be able to see how they did the parts, here mkm14428_wessex_special_schemes_camo.jpg

Thank you, James, I have found the pictures of the trees.

http://www.4pluspublications.com/en/scale-model-kits/mkm14428-wessex-special-schemes

Quick, dirty, but it will be really useful sketch! :goodjob:

Well, as I will need only 2 or 3 parts on the HAS.1, I will ask the importer of Italeri in France.

Thank you for spending time for me :thumbsup2:B)

Lolo

• Like 1

Here are a couple of more photos of the Mk. 52. You should note that the cabin windows of the Mk. 52 are the same as those of the early H.U. 5. The forward window on the left has a blown glass as seen in the photo below, but Italeri only includes a late type glass with an oval dome.

0000130_2.jpg

0000130.jpg

Happy New Year from Tokyo

Jun in Tokyo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horaburo/albums

• Like 1

That bulged window isn't so hard to do

Cut a hole the proper size in a sheet of thick plasticard, wood or anything then find a bulgey thing to use as the main mould buck

(Psst keep it quiet, I often use the bulgey ball of a fingertip to do that) piece of soft cloth to take the heat and hold a sheet of acetate over a candle to soften it then hold it over the right hole and push the fingertip into the plastic

Let it cool then cut it out and bung it into the hole...

S'easy... ish

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Junchan said:

Here are a couple of more photos of the Mk. 52. You should note that the cabin windows of the Mk. 52 are the same as those of the early H.U. 5. The forward window on the left has a blown glass as seen in the photo below, but Italeri only includes a late type glass with an oval dome.

Happy New Year from Tokyo

Jun in Tokyo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horaburo/albums

Hi Jun,

Thank you and happy new year to (as you are in 2017 yet in your country.

I already have these two pictures and I noticed for the bulged window ;)

You know what? I have just been thrown by a lightning that make me remember that I own an old Revell Wessex HAS.3! I have to try but I think the Revell nose could help me!! :yahoo:

I think this will make my day, tomorrow...and for a long time!

Regards from France, 5H to 2017!

Lolo

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, perdu said:

That bulged window isn't so hard to do

Cut a hole the proper size in a sheet of thick plasticard, wood or anything then find a bulgey thing to use as the main mould buck

(Psst keep it quiet, I often use the bulgey ball of a fingertip to do that) piece of soft cloth to take the heat and hold a sheet of acetate over a candle to soften it then hold it over the right hole and push the fingertip into the plastic

Let it cool then cut it out and bung it into the hole...

S'easy... ish

Yes, I know how to do...but not like your finger style! :yahoo::bleh:

As I answered to Jun, upper, I realised that I have the old Revell, so I can pick dome parts on this old and really basic kit, unlike the Italeri one.

Thanks and regards,

Lolo

• Like 2

1 hour ago, loloskymaster said:

As I answered to Jun, upper, I realised that I have the old Revell, so I can pick dome parts on this old and really basic kit, unlike the Italeri one.

Lolo

You can get the bulged window and the Mk.52 intake if it's this kit, http://www.scalemodellingnow.com/hn-aricraft-kits-revell-westlandwessex-hasmk3

Good thinking, and Happy New Year!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

You can get the bulged window and the Mk.52 intake if it's this kit, http://www.scalemodellingnow.com/hn-aricraft-kits-revell-westlandwessex-hasmk3

Good thinking, and Happy New Year!

Yes, James, it's that kit ;)

Thank you and happy new year, too! 

Lolo

• Like 1

I am rather keen to do this in 1/72nd scale with the Italeri HU.5, and will probably be going down the crosskitting route. I do wonder, however, that as the Iraqis still had four of them in service during the invasion of Kuwait, if they would have purchased the filters for their Wessex fleet. Operating permanently in desert conditions, I would have thought that it would have been essential.

On 02/01/2017 at 10:36 PM, T7 Models said:

I am rather keen to do this in 1/72nd scale with the Italeri HU.5, and will probably be going down the crosskitting route. I do wonder, however, that as the Iraqis still had four of them in service during the invasion of Kuwait, if they would have purchased the filters for their Wessex fleet. Operating permanently in desert conditions, I would have thought that it would have been essential.

Ah, good question! But sadly, there are no pictures available with filters.

As they serviced the Wessex since the 60' and as it was the same theater of operation, so we can ask ourselves, why did they add filters on their Wessex?

Regards,

Lolo

On 1/5/2017 at 8:16 PM, 71chally said:

..and why didn't anyone take any pictures of them after they left Westlands!

How many photos have you seen of Iraqi operational military aircraft taken in Iraq after delivery?  I think I can count them on one hand! They were paranoid about such things like all the Middle East countries. I was ecstatic when I was in the RAF at Lyneham and an Iraqi Air Force Antonov An-12  arrived to collect Wessex spares from Westlands and of course photographed it.    

Edited by AMB
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, AMB said:

How many photos have you seen of Iraqi operational military aircraft taken in Iraq after delivery?  I think I can count them on one hand! They were paranoid about such things like all the Middle East countries. I was ecstatic when I was in the RAF at Lyneham and an Iraqi Air Force Antonov An-12  arrived to collect Wessex spares from Westlands and of course photographed it.    

You are very welcome to share your photos, if you still have them.:o :wub: 

I only know 3 or 4 pictures in iraqi colors... :(

Lolo

• 1 month later...
On 7/1/2017 at 5:07 PM, AMB said:

How many photos have you seen of Iraqi operational military aircraft taken in Iraq after delivery? 

Literally hundreds...you just have to know where to look for them.:whistle:

As for the Wessex, here are two photos of a 4 sq sharkmouthed example taken during a demonstration with a Zlin 526 on Jan 6, 1970:

Wessex%20Mk52%206%20-01%20-%201970.png

Wessex%20Mk52%206%20-01%20-%201970%202.p

And some with external fuel tanks:

Wessex%20Mk52%20with%20fuel%20tank.jpg

And another one:

Wessex%20Mk52.jpg

On 2/1/2017 at 11:36 PM, T7 Models said:

I do wonder, however, that as the Iraqis still had four of them in service during the invasion of Kuwait, 

Not the case I'm afraid, they were withdrawn during the mid 70s. Iraqis tried unsuccessfully to offload them first to Oman and then Kenya...:whistle:

As Abraham Lincoln would say:

Abraham-Lincoln-the-problem-with-quotes-