AW101 Merlin HC3Ai ?

gengriz

Looking for help please from anyone with current RN Jungly Merlin knowledge.

The recent "welcome back" photos from Yeovilton show a mix of HC3s and HC3As in RN markings, but I can't find any definitive info as to whether any of these aircraft (or only some of them) have already been modified to the interim naval standard or not, and whether the interim mods will be (or have been) applied to the HC.3A as well as the HC.3.

As I understand it, an initial batch of ex-RAF aircraft underwent a basic mod package to add manual folding, rapid roping points plus better Nav & comms equipment and thus allow them to be stowed in OCEAN's hangar.  I don't believe this includes tail folding. I think these are then designated HC.3i.  I then believe the entire ex-RAF fleet (bar the one lost in Afghanistan and the one retained by Boscombe Down) including the 3As will be cycled through an extensive update over the next 5 years to HC.4 (and HC.4A) standards, to include the common glass cockpit, the folding tail, power blade fold and other naval modifications including changes to the HC.3A's winch (or has this already been done?). 

Going back to the current aircraft then:

• Does anyone know whether the HC.3As now in RN service with 845/846 Sqns (those with the ugly nose and lots of windows) have been modified to have a manual rotor fold (and does this make them "HC.3Ai"s).
  • Does anyone have a picture of any HC.3 folded - do they sit the same as an automatically folding set?  Is ther ea frame and handling arms?  Does the blade root fairing change?  Do you remove it manually before a fold?
  • Does anyone know when this mod happened; would it have been applied to the 845 Sqn aircraft used in the Mojave desert in 2015 for Ex-Black Alligator?

I would prefer to fold the HC.3A model currently on the bench, but have no idea if this is correct!

FredT :)

The Mk 3a will be converted to a Mk 4a standard in due course. Along with the folding main and tail rotor mods the radar will be removed, but the biggest change will the cabin Windows and crew entry door being changed to the Mk 3/4 arrangement. The one thing that will stay the same on the Mk4a is the instrument layout, the Mk 3 will be modified to have this arrangement for the Mk 4.

35 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

The Mk 3a will be converted to a Mk 4a standard in due course. Along with the folding main and tail rotor mods the radar will be removed, but the biggest change will the cabin Windows and crew entry door being changed to the Mk 3/4 arrangement. The one thing that will stay the same on the Mk4a is the instrument layout, the Mk 3 will be modified to have this arrangement for the Mk 4.

Many thanks Aeronut, I guess you are saying that they will all look much the same eventually, but for now I am trying to establish the current position. 

My HC.3A build is coming along well in other respects, but I would like to fold the blades and I can't find any indication of whether this is actually possible on a 3A today. 

FredT :)

As far as I'm aware the Mk 3a doesn't have a folding main rotor either manual one powered. You were correct about the Mk3i that has been given a manual fold main rotor but the tail remains fixed. The folding tail requires the rear fuselage to be replaced with a new build, it's not simply slice the tail off and add a hinge.

• 4 weeks later...
On Friday, December 30, 2016 at 9:56 PM, Aeronut said:

As far as I'm aware the Mk 3a doesn't have a folding main rotor either manual one powered. You were correct about the Mk3i that has been given a manual fold main rotor but the tail remains fixed. The folding tail requires the rear fuselage to be replaced with a new build, it's not simply slice the tail off and add a hinge.

That is correct as for the interim mk3 (folding head with a cheat box ) the mechanics on the head are very similar to a mk2 head.quite how that looks in 1/72 im not sure but....i will take a wander down to 5 hangar tomorrow

• Like 1