Airfix Victor

Hello again, long time no post.

I'll be doing this in the white colour scheme.

I want to do a bit of a diorama so I'm building my own AEC Mandator transporter for the Blue Steel,and possibly a trolley if I can get some decent photos of the trolleys used for the Victor.

Anyway onto the build, I splashed out on some Eduard photo etch for inside and outside.

DSC_0092.jpg

Airfix rendition on the left, Eduard on the right.

DSC_0094.jpg

Kit detail of the undercarriage bay.

DSC_0095.jpg

Eduard version.

For the cockpit Eduard would have your replace the Airfix equipment at the top of the picture here......

DSC_0105.jpg

...with this, which is not as detailed.  Anyone know why?

DSC_0107.jpg

Lots of bits to make the seats look a bit better.......below

DSC_0108.jpg

DSC_0110.jpg

Building the next bit was quite literally a pain in the neck, hunched over the desk with massive magnifiers on putting together the smallest clocks and dials Ive ever used.

DSC_0111.jpg

And finally a start made on the Mandator lorry. I believe AIM are supposed to be bringing one out, but I don't know when. (Probably the day after I finish this one) :)

DSC_0117.jpg

A couple of questions:-

1. What colour should the cockpit floor and walls be?

2. Has anyone got pictures of the blue steel trolley used for the Victor (am i right in thinking it was lower than the others?)

That's all for now, thanks for looking.

BB

Edited by billybookcase
Photos moved in Photobucket, new links.
  • Like 3

Great start BB. I am unsure as to why there is such a difference between the detail on the kit cockpit wall parts and that supplied by Eduard unless one manufacturer has studied a K2 for it's internal references and the other used references for a B2. Always assuming there is a difference in this particular area that is.

General Melchet did a review of the kit in AMW and suggested black for the flight deck and a sky colour for the walls of the rear cabin. As the Victor is apparently his favourite aeroplane and he is very well versed in all things Bomber Command, I would be inclined to go along with his wisdom on this occasion.

Martian

49 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

General Melchet did a review of the kit in AMW and suggested black for the flight deck and a sky colour for the walls of the rear cabin. As the Victor is apparently his favourite aeroplane and he is very well versed in all things Bomber Command, I would be inclined to go along with his wisdom on this occasion.

Martian

Thanks Martian, black and sky colour it is.

BB

A change of plan.

Because of the standard of detail from the Eduard photo etch in the cockpit, I decided it was a shame to seal it all up and not be seen.

So I will be making a flight deck to replace the kit one.

DSC_0125.jpg

The kit version with the photoetch will be displayed separately as a sort of cutaway drawing type affair.

I haven't decided yet how much fuselage to surround it with, or whether to make a transparent fuselage around it.

Meanwhile, the build continues.

The photo etch (PE) of the floor (ceiling?) of the u/c bay, (looks nice with a camera or magnifiers, but my eyes can't see much difference, ho hum), 

if you're doing this I'd advise to put the PE in before gluing in the side walls G11&G12.

DSC_0135.jpg

Some of the vanes/deflectors in place, if you want to fill/smooth out where they join the top of the wing then you could probably glue them in place BEFORE closing up the intake parts A2 and A3.

Though you'd still have a fiddly job to fill/smooth out where they meet the bottom of the wing.

DSC_0140.jpg

A bit of filler for the intake joins, not much really as they're a pretty good fit.

DSC_0141.jpg

Some of the PE plumbing that should go in the u/c bay, but as it fell apart just when I looked at it funny, I suspect that it will be beyond my patience to actually try and glue it in there.

DSC_0144.jpg

Thanks for looking.

BB

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Update.

I've been working on the stand alone cockpit.

I intend it to look like a cutaway drawing to show off the details of the photo etch stuff.

I put some "bulkheads" on the bottom and rear of the kit deck, and a home made nose, which will be clad in strips of styrene.

Thusly.

DSC_0379_1.jpg

DSC_0375.jpg

DSC_0381_1.jpg

It will look better when it's finished, trust me.

More to follow.

BB

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

Trying to get the curves of the front fuselage right.

Not perfect but it's coming on.

DSC_0007_1.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

Working on a framework to show the cockpit as a walk on display.

More soon.

BB

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

Kit top, scratch build bottom.

DSC_0383_1.jpg

DSC_0385_1.jpg

DSC_0401_1.jpg

DSC_0406_1.jpg

The cockpit stand is based on one on a cockpit fest I saw on t'internet.

DSC_0024.jpg

Meanwhile, the whole start of this was the build of the Victor itself, so back to work on that.

DSC_0025.jpg

As I'll be using the kit cockpit/seats/photoetch on the stand alone cockpit I needed to do some makeshift seats for the Victor itself, as they won't be too visible once closed up I'm not over fussed about how they look.

DSC_0026.jpg

Thanks for looking.

More to follow.

BB

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Update.

Cockpit display details.

DSC_0469.jpg

DSC_0471.jpg

DSC_0473.jpg

Meanwhile back at the ranch, the main event continues, a bit of scraping and sanding to get the fuselage level.

DSC_0474.jpg

DSC_0475.jpg

DSC_0476.jpg

Stay tuned for more Victorisationalism.

Thanks for looking.

BB

• Like 5

On 30/12/2016 at 5:00 PM, billybookcase said:

DSC_0117.jpg

2. Has anyone got pictures of the blue steel trolley used for the Victor (am i right in thinking it was lower than the others?)

That's all for now, thanks for looking.

BB

On 30/12/2016 at 5:00 PM, billybookcase said:

If only my dad was around he would have known the answer to that as he spent a number of years on 57 Squadron at Honington in the sixties as an armourer :-(

Great start Billy, will follow this with interest!

Cheers

Simon

• 3 months later...

I was going to post an update of the cockpit build, but in light of the shenanigans with photo bucket I'm not sure if it will work.

My pictures on this thread are still showing, but some other threads I look at are just showing the PB warning.

Is it worth me uploading my latest pictures to PB and posting an update on here?

Cheers.

BB

OK, an update to say I'm calling this part of the build finished.

I apologised for the less than perfect macro shots, but there's 2 reasons for this, 1) the autofocus on my Nikon lens has stopped working, 

and 2), I'm not very good at macro photography.

The floor and seats are the original Airfix parts, instruments/seatbelts etc are Eduard photo etch, the rest is scratch built.

Now to get on with finishing the Victor itself.

Cheers

BB

35612145152_06a24d9365_z.jpg

35612147272_02d4d48a0f_z.jpg

35393472750_14b56ae3da_z.jpg

34971363743_a447575f1e_z.jpg

• Like 4