storage of Dioramas

Nutsabout

I'm coming back to modeling after a 40 year absence but as a kid I would jut keep my models & dioramas on a shelf in my bedroom, but no surprise they got broken & dusty.

How do I keep my scenes pristine, but preferably visible?

Apologies if this is  covered somewhere but I have had a look and found nothing.

Thanks

Ian.. 

I have the exact same issue and have come to this conclusion. Either you purchase a glass/plastic cover for your diorama and build the diorama to fit the cover, or you purchase a large display cabinet with shelving and again build  your dioramas to fit. With the latter you'll have options for varying the sizes of the dioramas.

Constructing your own covers for dioramas is not an easy job (glass cutting requires the correct tools and skill) and paying someone else to do it is expensive.

Have a look half way down on page 1 of  My WW2 Airfield 1:48 diorama collections         by Suprastar in the RFI section

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

Hi,just having a browse through here from the aircraft forum.I display my builds in shop counters which I have purchased new from a shopfitters on ebay,there are also lots of second hand ones available in various sizes and designs.Thought this may be of interest

DSCN4813_zpsq68viipx.jpg

It is possible to do glass doors on existing bookcases cheaply, if you have a glass merchant that will cut toughened glass to size for you & etch or provide holes for finger pulls.

Google sliding glass cabinet door track and the cheapest option is plastic top & bottom double track.

Plus a few spotlights and it's an economic start.

Ikea stuff is ok but generally have large gaps which lets dust in.

• Like 1

On 04/01/2017 at 10:37 PM, chris148 said:

Hi,just having a browse through here from the aircraft forum.I display my builds in shop counters which I have purchased new from a shopfitters on ebay,there are also lots of second hand ones available in various sizes and designs.Thought this may be of interest

DSCN4813_zpsq68viipx.jpg

That looks great Chris, shows your work off so well. 

• 4 weeks later...

I use specially made Glass Display Cases - not cheap but they are reliable , safe to lift off , and keep the dust off

be warned that the IKEA Glass Cases let dust in - although they look nice - I have now 5 separate Glass Display Cases - and they were worth every penny

from www.modeldisplaycases.co.uk  of Coventry , a very reliable company - this photo will show the excellent design - this has been working fine for 5 years now

Edited by 73north
photo provided
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...