1/72 - Supermarine Spitfire PR. Mk.XIX by Airfix - released - PR.XI conversion set by Freightdog Models - new PR.XIX boxing in Summer 2024

Homebee

55 minutes ago, Andre B said:

I don´t knew if the colours conserning the 1/48 kit is ok. But there are one kit under construction right now at IPMS Stockholm and I shell ask to builder about the decals.

http://www.ipmsstockholm.se/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9105

RE Swedish Kronmark

here's a preserved  FFVS J-22, it's an intense blue (tending to green)  and a warm yellow (heading to orange)

5b752aaa9632684bc59e0a67ae1c6baf.jpg

In the link the builder is replacing the decals with these

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/RBDS48006

assuming the scan is OK,  the same colour range

RBDS48006_2.jpg

this is from the BM review  of the 1/48th kit, From memory, and having some Flying Aero Colours decals, the Airfix colours are 'washed out'  the yellow too lemon and the blue lacking the green hue

decals.jpg

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234934137-spitfire-prxix-148-airfix/

the 1/72nd  kit had over orange and too pale a blue

IMG_3701.JPG

Airfix missed the black outline round the crowns as well.

HTH

T

• Like 3

Yes, Troy,

Most Swedish builders are replacing the wrong Airfix decals with the Swediish decals from RBD studio (first in your row). But as you show the Airfix 1/48 decals wasn't as bad as the 1/72 decals. Robert Bergwall, who is the man behind RBD are often seen on IPMS Stockholm forum. Robert has been very carefull concerning the blue and yellow in the Swedish roundels...

Concerning the blue in Swedish roundels ("kromärken") it was usually shifting from blue to light blue depending sun and weather (clearly seen on some pictures concerning J 26 and S 26 Mustang). The yellow numbers could often have a different shade of yellow compared to yellow in the roundels. But the yellow was never that "orange" that Airifix provided for the 1/72 decals.

Sheers / André

http://www.rbdstudio.se/InstructionS31_48.html

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, chrisrope said:

Good news the RBD range is now available from Hannants :D

Could get expensive mind :(

They are for sure good quality for money. Use them for my Mustang's...

• Like 1

I am the builder at IPMS Stockholm, that André mentioned earlier. The S 31 Spitfire roundels were originally painted in UK, using other sizes and colours than the standard Swedish markings - It seems as if Trainer Yellow was used for the yellow. The roundels also looked a bit different, the crowns were for instance somewhat larger. RBD Decals has captured this good at their sheet which in my opinion is spot on. Later, at least some individuals seems to have had their roundels replaced with Swedish standard roundels - however in the same non-standard size. At delivery, no fin numbers were painted, and the F 11 wing number was black, later changed into black. Earlier, some people claimed that the fin numbers were white on some individuals, but today we know that they were yellow. 

The old Airfix 1/72 sheet has, as mentioned, too orange yellow colour. Beside that, the number 60 is far too slim. I don't know about the new one, I haven't seen it. The 1/48 sheet is better, but too pale. The fin number is still too slim. The griffon coat of arms were also almost always turned forward on both sides (which is not the case on the Airfix sheets). So in all cases, I recommend RBD (new name Moose Republic) decals. 

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Source: https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/fighting-on-the-night-shift/?utm_campaign=1809774_Airfix - The WorkBench - Week 8 2017&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Hornby PLC&_%24ja=tsid%3A71284&dm_i=2DJZ,12SFI,2316F9,38GO1,1

New release to become a BBMF Spitfire Classic

S_Airfix_Spitfire_PRXIX_BBMF_Powles.jpg
The spectacular Spitfire box artwork depicts one of the clandestine high altitude flights over China

Some of the most popular kits in any Airfix model range are releases that present the modeller with examples of aircraft that can be seen at the many Air Displays held throughout the summer in Britain. For many, the aircraft of the much-loved Battle of Britain Memorial Flight are not only some of the most famous historic aircraft in the world, but also help to commemorate the huge contribution made by airmen and women during the Second World War. With six Spitfires, two Hurricanes, a Dakota and a Lancaster under their charge, the BBMF are a highlight act on any Airshow programme and are revered by young and old alike.

In order that the Flight continue to effectively commemorate the history of the Royal Air Force, they regularly repaint their aircraft to represent significant Squadrons, individual aircraft, or the exploits of famous pilots and the 2017 season will see several their aircraft wearing new colours. Supermarine Spitfire PR.XIX PS915 is one of the two Rolls-Royce Griffon powered fighters to be operated by the flight and it will be thrilling audiences throughout 2017 with a smart new silver scheme, which marks a significant RAF aircraft that flew at an incredible altitude of 51,500ft in February 1952. In the capable hands of Flight Lieutenant Edward ‘Ted’ Powles, Spitfire PR.XIX PS852 had been involved in flying high altitude clandestine reconnaissance missions over China for many weeks, relying on stealth, speed, altitude and airmanship to complete these missions effectively.

T_Airfix_Spitfire_PRXIX_BBMF_Powles.jpg
Profile artwork of the A scheme included with Spitfire release A02017A

On one particularly noteworthy mission, Powles managed to take his aircraft to an altitude of 51,500ft, which was the highest altitude ever attained by a Spitfire and for that matter any single engined piston fighter. This achievement is made all the more impressive by the fact that this record still stands to this day, making Spitfire PS852 one of the most significant aircraft in British aviation history. Some sources report that this was not the only record set by Powles during this eventful flight. During the descent from this record breaking altitude, it is claimed that the aircraft developed a depressurisation problem and dived out of control for a time. Falling earthwards under its own weight, PS852 is said to have indicated a speed of 691mph (Mach 0.96) before Powles was able to regain control, which if correct is the highest speed ever recorded for a piston engined aircraft. Potentially two records for this RAF pilot and his incredible machine on the same day.

V_Airfix_Spitfire_PRXIX_BBMF_Powles.jpg
BBMF Spitfire PS915 will be wearing this smart colour scheme for the 2017 Airshow season

Due for imminent release, 1/72nd scale Supermarine Spitfire PR.XIX (A02017A) comes complete with two finish options for this impressive kit, one of which is the aircraft Ted Powles used during his record breaking high altitude flight. This attractive scheme is destined to become extremely familiar over the coming few months as BBMF Spitfire PS915 will be wearing this scheme throughout the 2017 season and helping to tell the story of this most famous Spitfire. This model will hopefully inspire many first-time modellers to try their hand at our beloved hobby and will be an essential addition to any collection of BBMF aircraft. Due for imminent release, Spitfire A02017A will be widely available at all good hobby stores across the country and at many Airshow events throughout the summer months.

V.P.

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Supermarine Spitfire PR. Mk.XIX by Airfix - released - PR.XI conversion set by Freightdog Models - new PR.XIX boxing in Summer 2024

I think this one is a likely purchase. I already have a Swedish PR.XIX built from this kit, but I think I'd like to replace it with a better quality build in RAF markings. 

Interesting to know if they are going to somehow refresh the molds. Quite frankly this kit is of the earlier and simpler ones. Very bold panel lines, completely empty wheel wells with zero side walls, empty aft cockpit, wrong camera windows (should be flat), canopy is of course thick, etc, etc...

1 hour ago, Dennis_C said:

Interesting to know if they are going to somehow refresh the molds. Quite frankly this kit is of the earlier and simpler ones. Very bold panel lines, completely empty wheel wells with zero side walls, empty aft cockpit, wrong camera windows (should be flat), canopy is of course thick, etc, etc...

Having built it twice: The wing root to fuselage join is a nightmare.

1 hour ago, klr said:

Having built it twice: The wing root to fuselage join is a nightmare.

Easy fix, add upper wings to fuselage,  adjust to get a good external join,  then add lower wing.  Also shows added well detail.

49905410811_f0c82aa233_b.jpg

2 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

Not the way Airfix work.  I'd be very very surprised to see any upgrades.  It was one of the better Airfix kits of it's era, other were worse, like their Bf109G-6 and Hurricane IIC.

You can do a lot 'with some modelling skill'   easy enough to add some well detail, a Kleer dip of the canopy etc helps, I got asked if I'd replaced mine with a vacform after  doing that. The panel lines would require more effort, though brush painting helps.   See link.

3 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

I think I'd like to replace it with a better quality build in RAF markings. 

Some additions and corrections here  you may find of use.  All simple tweaks but they do help.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235073488-spitfire-pr-xix-airfix-72nd-as-i-thought-it-would-be-easy/

I don't know how the other PR XIX Airfix reboxed (MPM?)  prior to this  compares. 

HTH

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

You can do a lot 'with some modelling skill'   easy enough to add some well detail, a Kleer dip of the canopy etc helps, I got asked if I'd replaced mine with a vacform after  doing that. The panel lines would require more effort, though brush painting helps. 

I did already :) some Eduard photoetch, vacformed canopy, undercarriage 'borrowed' from Eduard mk.IX box, resin ailerons and stabilisers, handcrafted camera windows and aft cockpit contents. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235085283-spitfire-prxix-airfix-172-the-last-operational-type/

Anyway this was an enjoyable build. And BTW I do not remember any big major parts fit troubles.

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Like 1