1/72 - Supermarine Spitfire PR. Mk.XIX by Airfix - released - PR.XI conversion set by Freightdog Models - new PR.XIX boxing in Summer 2024

Homebee

Sweden  - population 9.6 million

Thailand - population 67 million

Turkey    - population 75 million

Assuming the %age of modellers in any non failing country is more or less a constant and assuming that most Swedish modellers will already have built one or more kits a highly speculative and non scientific supposition would seem to indicate greener grass further east.

I'm out at this point, I just think they missed an opportunity to increase sales in this country.

3 minutes ago, spaddad said:

Assuming the %age of modellers in any non failing country is more or less a constant and assuming that most Swedish modellers will already have built one or more kits a highly speculative and non scientific supposition would seem to indicate greener grass further east.

I'm out at this point, I just think they missed an opportunity to increase sales in this country.

I appreciate that these countries are substantially larger than Sweden. Let's look at some other numbers, though:

Per Capita Income:

Sweden $46,680 USD

Turkey $18,800 USD

Thailand $13,400 USD

Swedes are substantially more affluent, on average, than Turks or Thais -- they have more buying power and thus are more likely to have hobbies like modelling. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Procopius said:

I appreciate that these countries are substantially larger than Sweden. Let's look at some other numbers, though:

Per Capita Income:

Sweden $46,680 USD

Turkey $18,800 USD

Thailand $13,400 USD

Swedes are substantially more affluent, on average, than Turks or Thais -- they have more buying power and thus are more likely to have hobbies like modelling. 

... yes likely have more folks interested into scale modelling than in the other two countries together

• Like 1

18 hours ago, spaddad said:

"I know," say Airfix. "We have good distribution and established sales in Sweden, but let's put Thai or Turkish markings in the box instead because that makes SO much more sense than listening to what we're being asked to do by our distributors in an established and profitable market."

:wall::wall::wall:

It's not rocket science.

• Like 5

A similar thing often happened in Switzerland, where the population may be small but the distributors always guaranteed enough numbers to even convince companies to issue market specific boxes. Revell, Italeri and previously Esci always threw in Swiss markings wherever possible.

On 30/12/2016 at 8:53 PM, Bedders said:

Interesting and positive news, albeit slightly unimaginitive in terms of decal choices. A couple of UK wartime/immediate postwar all-over PRU blue options would have been good...

Justin

...but not accurate as the Airfix have modelled the post-war pressurised version. Conversion requires a little surgery, so a warrime version cannot be built out of the box.

(No doubt after making this confident assertion someone will shoot me down in flames with a reference to a pressurised PR XIX from early 1945.)

Thanks Bedders!

The link is to the image. Is there any more information, such as date, location or squadron?

Dave the singed.

Edit:

It's hard to tell on my phone, but is that PS853? If so it was a the aircraft that later taken from its place as a gate guardian and used in trials with a Lighning. An interesting subject.

Edited by davidelvy
Research.

Dave,

It is PS853 photographed at Melsbroek, Belgium when serving with 16 Squadron who had a mixture of XIs and XIXs by this point. There's an interesting collection of photos of this aircraft down the years here:

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?114038-Duxford-Diary-2012/page66

When I was at Southern Expo a couple of weeks ago I found a lovely 1/72 rendition of this paint scheme on the Airfix kit. Properly excellent finish, and much nicer than mine. Spoke to the builder who had used Xtradecals roundels/codes/serials. Made me think I need one...

Justin

Edited by Bedders
Typo typo tpyo...

On 12/31/2016 at 9:27 AM, T7 Models said:

I'm always amazed at how we armchair experts could do things so much better.

If you think you're so clever why not go and open a model kit manufacturer and show them how it's all done.:popcorn:

Funny how this never seems to be the response when Trumpeter/Hobby Boss botch a kit... only Airfix :rolleyes:

19 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

For £ 109.90 I almost can get both compressor and an airbrush. Thats big difference from the price one have to pay for an Humbrol can at £ 5.49. Or do they sell just one unit? What I understand the smallest order is 10 units...

Edited by Andre B

That's just one company plucked at random off Google. I've never been to Sweden but in the UK there are dozens of commercial paint vendors selling for the automotive trade and various industrial applications, who will sell you a single can mixed to any RAL or BS colour. There are two within a 15 minute walk or five minute drive of my house and that's in a tiny little town of 13,000 people in the middle of nowhere. Surely there are equivalent businesses in Sweden?

Edited by Work In Progress

Source: https://www.facebook.com/freightdogmodels/photos/a.238637406163951.82458.119466081414418/1667142463313431/?type=3&theater

Back in stock, Spitfire PR.XI conversion set in 1/72, designed for use with the recently re-issued Airfix PR.XIX base kit. Available from our website now.

http://www.freightdogmodels.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=27_29&products_id=683&osCsid=0be66ef9e57648d080132b2f8920edaa

L’image contient peut-être : avion

V.P.
Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3

It's an excellent conversion.  Easy to use and with a superb fit.  Mastered and Casting by Paul Lucas.  That should tell you everything.

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:41 PM, The Wooksta! said:

It's an excellent conversion.  Easy to use and with a superb fit.  Mastered and Casting by Paul Lucas.  That should tell you everything.

Thank you Sir, I won't tell Paul though as it will give him as big head....

Colin

• Like 1

On 1/7/2017 at 11:35 AM, Albeback52 said:

Actually, amidst all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over the allegedly dull & unimaginative Swedish option, has nobody noticed it is actually different to the original kit? The spinner is YELLOW!!:lol:

Allan

Yep, I think the date on "Yellow Nose" is 1949 whereas "Red Nose" is mid-50s (according to the Airfix 1/48 kit which replicated the original 1/72 decal set).  The red nose version is in the Aviation Workshop Publications booklet on PR Spitfires in worldwide service, which claims as source the MPM booklet (mostly in Polish) - although the date in the latter is April 1949!  From what I've read elsewhere I think there is some doubt about the red nose anyway on 11/60, with green and PRU blue alternatives, as spinner colours varied by Flight of Flottilj 11, the only unit I think which used this aircraft. Maybe our Swedish colleagues can comment/advise further on the red/yellow spinner options.  

Edited by Solar Panel Phil
  • Like 1

The colour of the spinner showed what division of any Swedish flottila an aircraft came from. It was red for the 1. Division, blue for the 2:nd, yellow for the 3:rd and green for the 4:th and 5:th. The 4:th S 31 Spitfire division at F 11 Flottila started as the 4:th division but as the 4:th usually was an school division in an Swedish flottila the 4:th was redesignated as the 5:th division. Sweden hade 50 S 31 Spitfire at F 11 and any yellownosed S 31 Spitfire came from the third division or "flight"...

Concerning colours Airfix in the past got bad critics for to "orange colour" concening the yellow in numbers and Swedish roundels. Hopefully those new decals have the more correct yellow colour...

/André 

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Andre B said:

The colour of the spinner showed what division of any Swedish flottila an aircraft came from. It was red for the 1. Division, blue for the 2:nd, yellow for the 3:rd and green for the 4:th and 5:th. The 4:th S 31 Spitfire division at F 11 Flottila started as the 4:th division but as the 4:th usually was an school division in an Swedish flottila the 4:th was redesignated as the 5:th division. Sweden hade 50 S 31 Spitfire at F 11 and any yellownosed S 31 Spitfire came from the third division or "flight"...

Concerning colours Airfix in the past got bad critics for to "orange colour" concening the yellow in numbers and Swedish roundels. Hopefully those new decals have the more correct yellow colour...

/André 

André , thanks for the extra info, and yes I do hope the orange decal colours have been fixed in this second release of the 1/72 kit. I also read somewhere about the original roundel sizes were RAF standard, not Swedish standard, and were gradually replaced/repainted as and when the aircraft came up for a new paint job.  Would you agree the 1/48 kit colours were ok? 

2 hours ago, Solar Panel Phil said:

André , thanks for the extra info, and yes I do hope the orange decal colours have been fixed in this second release of the 1/72 kit. I also read somewhere about the original roundel sizes were RAF standard, not Swedish standard, and were gradually replaced/repainted as and when the aircraft came up for a new paint job.  Would you agree the 1/48 kit colours were ok? 

I don´t knew if the colours conserning the 1/48 kit is ok. But there are one kit under construction right now at IPMS Stockholm and I shell ask to builder about the decals.

http://www.ipmsstockholm.se/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9105

• Like 1