1/72 - Supermarine Spitfire PR. Mk.XIX by Airfix - released - PR.XI conversion set by Freightdog Models - new PR.XIX boxing in Summer 2024

Homebee

Source: http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/2016-review-of-the-year/

An end of year exclusive

imagel
Our first exclusive artwork reveal of 2017 – 1/72nd scale Supermarine Spitfire PR. Mk.XIX A02017A

We end this review of Airfix 2016 with the exclusive announcement of a model we can look forward to taking its place in the 2017 kit line-up (A02017A). As you can see from the picture above this also includes the latest box artwork reveal, by way of a little end of year treat from the Airfix Workbench team. The picture features an aircraft that is destined to receive plenty of attention during 2017, as one of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight’s two Spitfire PR Mk.XIXs has been repainted in this exact scheme for the 2017 Airshow season.

imagem

Arguably the ultimate version of the famous Supermarine Spitfire, the unarmed Rolls-Royce Griffon powered PR.XIX reconnaissance aircraft relied on nothing more than speed and stealth to survive in the combat area. The first decal option included with this 2017 release marks a significant aircraft which still holds the world altitude record for a single piston engined aircraft - In February 1952, Flight Lieutenant Ted Powles flew Spitfire PS852 to an altitude of 51.500 ft. during a reconnaissance flight over the Chinese Island of Hainan. Flying with RAF No.81 Squadron out of Kai Tak airfield in Hong Kong, Powles set an altitude record for the Spitfire and indeed for all single engine piston fighters which still stands to this day, serving as an enduring legacy of these magnificent machines.

imagen

The alternative decal option supplied with this kit is one of the beautiful reconnaissance Spitfires operated by the Swedish Air Force at the start of the Cold War period. Delays in getting the reconnaissance version of their SAAB J29 jet fighter into production saw the SAF with a desperate need for a single engined reconnaissance aircraft and found an effective interim solution in 50 former WWII RAF Spitfire PR Mk.XIXs. Purchased from the British at an extremely attractive price, the aircraft were given the Swedish designation S.31 and were faster than any other aircraft currently flying with the Swedish Air Force. Serving until 1955, the S.31 Spitfires proved highly successful, but were nevertheless unceremoniously scrapped or used for target practice on their retirement. They are however an important chapter in the Spitfire story.

That is just about it for this latest edition of Workbench and indeed for 2016. It has been another great year for our blog and our ever increasing readership – thank you so much for your fantastic support throughout the year. From the entire Workbench team, may we take this opportunity to wish all our readers a very happy and prosperous New Year. We will be here with all the latest Airfix information throughout 2017.

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3

Interesting and positive news, albeit slightly unimaginitive in terms of decal choices. A couple of UK wartime/immediate postwar all-over PRU blue options would have been good, and if BBMF schemes are a prerequisite, one could chart the history of e.g. PS915 down the years. But maybe that will come later: this is a nice kit of a beautiful aeroplane so it'll look good in anything.

Justin

Edited by Bedders

Can someone tell me how deep are the panel lines on this particular airfix kit ? For reference , compare it to the airfix 1/72 scale bf109 e-3 . 

25 minutes ago, The Wooksta! said:

So the alternate boxing is identical to the previous boxing?  Could have went for another RAF or perhaps a Turkish option, but no.  Unimaginative dullards.  Yet more identical Swedish markings to fill me spares box.

but have they got the Swedish colours right this time?   the 1/48th has very washed out blue and yellow, so I presume the 72nd kit to be the same (I have one, but it's not too hand to check)

a look here http://modelingmadness.com/scott/korean/uk/raf/spit19.htm

reveals that they look washed out too

For those who wanted the Ted Powles PR19, Xtradecal have done it for the past 7 years!

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72105

Plus lots of other PR19s that look a tad more interesting than the same Swedish option that Airfix gave us last time.  IIRC, Freightdog also had that aircraft one one of their Spitfire sheets.

Given the paucity of Indian decals, an Indian PR19 would have been a far better choice.

Thanks, Airfix.  You've just saved me a few quid.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, The Wooksta! said:

So the alternate boxing is identical to the previous boxing?  Could have went for another RAF or perhaps a Turkish option, but no.  Unimaginative dullards.  Yet more identical Swedish markings to fill me spares box.

I'm with Wooksta on this one, what is it with Airfix & their choice of colour schemes. I'll probably buy one of these for the new scheme but would've bought two if the alternate had been Turkish, or indeed any other scheme not already covered.

Dunderheeds, no wonder they're in financial doo doos and yes, I do know its Hornby and not Airfix blah blah blah.

On 30/12/2016 at 23:30, Basuroy said:

Can someone tell me how deep are the panel lines on this particular airfix kit ? For reference , compare it to the airfix 1/72 scale bf109 e-3 . 

Does this link help?

• Like 1

Sweden is a big market for Airfix, especially with home decals, hence why so many Airfix kits have Swedish options.

The ones in the new release will be done properly/accurately in comparison to the quite poor decals done on the first release.

As for the Powles aircraft, the fact that the BBMF aircraft is in the same scheme is such an obvious marketing move as to be a no brainier. Not sure if that is by planning or lucky coincidence!

The Xtradecal sheet is wrong re the second PS852 scheme - that was Hong Kong too

• Like 2

If you stop for a moment and compile a list of the kits that over the years Airfix have included Swedish markings in or featured a Swedish scheme on the box art, it suggests that the Swedish market might be a healthy one for them.

Even without including indigenous aircraft like the SAABs, the list is a long one and goes back at least as far as the Vertol.

J

Funny old world we live in.  Not long ago Airfix was dumping Spitfire PR.XIXs on the market via Home Bargains at £2.99 each.  Six months later the same kit is reissued with marginally changed markings at current price of £9.99.  Is anyone else reminded of the Simpsons episode when Lisa Simpson tries to hold off a mob of teenies screaming for the latest Malibu Stacey doll boxing with "It's just the old Malibu Stacey with a new hat"?  Their answer, as they strip the shop bare?  "But it's a new hat!"   

Yes, I can see the marketing tie-in with the BBMF's remarking of PS852, but still...

Edited by Seahawk
Price underestimated.
  • Like 4

Actually, amidst all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over the allegedly dull & unimaginative Swedish option, has nobody noticed it is actually different to the original kit? The spinner is YELLOW!!:lol:

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

On 1/1/2017 at 3:29 PM, sniperUK said:

More than likely it has been requested by the distributor in Sweden so a guaranteed X-thousand sales from them,

Having spoken with the guys from Airfix yesterday, that is EXACTLY why it features an RSwAF option. The final word, I think?

• Like 2

Let`s face it, the PR XIX wasnt exactly blessed with exciting colour schemes in the first place. Maybe smart but never exciting. I have to say that PS852 in silver with red/white spinner looks rather classy. I plan on doing this scheme on the 1/48th scale kit. 

I note that the Airfix scheme shows wing root walk way panels in black where as the Xtradecal sheet does not. Which is correct? 

1 minute ago, Threadbear said:

I note that the Airfix scheme shows wing root walk way panels in black where as the Xtradecal sheet does not. Which is correct? 

Good question. I spotted this as well so would also be interested to know. 

Cheers.. Dave 

3 minutes ago, spaddad said:

So they wouldn't have any sales in Turkey or Thailand?

I suspect the markets there aren't as big. A highly unscientific survey of these boards seems to indicate more modellers from Sweden than either of those countries.