Dinky's Pocher Lamborghini Huracan

Dinky

1 hour ago, Dinky said:

To be honest I expected Pocher learned from the mistakes with the Ducati, but it seem they didn’t.
In my humble opinion any kit in this price range should be perfectly fine.

I don’t mind removing mold lines, filling sink marks and repainting plastics, but the pre-painted metal parts should be fine. At least no burr formation, damages or twisted/bend parts.
I have no experience with the Aventador but the Huracan chassis parts are full with burr formation, like small saw blades on all the beams. 
Also noticed the soft pieces of both seats have been cut, instead of cutting the molding part (cast) they cut the seat itself.
This is not something that can be filled\repaired easily as it’s a rubber material.
IMG_6604.jpg IMG_6605.jpg

The more I think about it, the worse my feeling gets. I’m not even sure if this box is complete when I have the missing sprue.
I paid huge amount of money for this so called “high quality kit” and I only get frustrated about it, disappointment after disappointment.

It seems 'Hornby' decided to revive not only the Pocher name....but also their renowned bad quality!

I had to ask Hornby to replace several parts of the Aventador which...to be fair...they did...then again....I am in the UK...so have that advantage.

Regards the price...IMHO...even if the parts are all there and in pristine condition....with so much missing detail that most builders will want to add....they are over priced IMHO.

I really hope you can get some resolution to your problems from Hornby.....and would suggest you send them some pictures of the issues you have found.

Regards

Ron

It's a shame that Hornby cut so many corners. I had one of the original orange Aventador and it didn't have these manufacturing issues. They seemed to have really skid backwards with the huracan and Ducati. I hope you can get this all sorted out Dinky!

Hey guys, my Huracan story ends here.

It does not feel right, too much money, too many things wrong and damaged. I didn't see a solution coming soon and I cannot imagine that replacement parts are much better than the ones I had.

Therefore I decided to return the box to the shop for an refund.

I first wanted to wait for another, but that’s seems to take a long time.
Hornby customer care told me they have no spares, the shop has nothing and the Dutch importer same story. There is too much wrong with this kit, I cannot imagine replacement parts are better than the ones in my kit.
All together gave me such a bad feeling that I decided to return it. It’s a well-considered choice ;-)

• Like 2

What a shame dinky, having never dealt with pocher before I can say how their quality control is but either way for the price they charge you would at least expect to be able to make a good model. 

Shaun

Sorry to hear of your problems Dinky.  It is unacceptable that Hornby cannot provide you with a replacement sprue when they failed to include it in the first place! Also not having spare parts available for a brand new release is troubling.  I think you made the right choice.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow...what a terrible read. Not you, Dinky, but your experience with this kit.

I await with bated breath, as my Huracan is on its way to my house.

I really hope mine is not as damaged as yours is. I'm located in Australia, I've paid nearly AU$1000 for this kit.

For there to be anything at all wrong with it is simply unacceptable for a kit in this price range.

It should be here some time next week, so I will report here on my findings.

I have built the Ducati before and also the Aventador, to be honest they were okay. No major issues with them.

Apart from the plastic colour being very ordinary. I simply built those two as is. This on e, however, I'm going to build as close to perfection as possible. I'll repaint the plastic parts.

While I'm on the topic of painting, can anyone who has built and painted certain parts before recommend particular colours for me? So I can purchase them before the kit arrives.

I don't imagine there are too many colours, maybe black and grey? But which particular grey, that's the question I have :)

Anyway....I'll keep you all posted.

If mine comes with any of the issues yours had, I will be extremely disappointed and ready for a heated discussion with who ever I can contact from Pocher/Hornby.

Thousand bucks for a kit? Wow, it better be damn good!!

It has arrived.

I got the red one. It was the only one I could find anywhere for sale. I did actually want the yellow one. As my Ducati is red, my Aventador is white...so yellow would have been nice.

Found it on eBay....got a 10% discount and it ended up being cheaper than if I'd have purchased it direct from Pocher. And it was located in Australia, so delivery was quick.

I've briefly opened the box just to make sure there was no major damage during delivery, so far so good. I haven't inspected each sprue though, I will do once work slows down a little bit.

Will be sure to keep you updated throughout.

This is now the third one I have, can't wait until it is built.

I really do HATE the grey plastic parts though, the colour is not even. So I will definitely be painting this one. So it will take longer to build than the other two.

I'm wondering whether I need to sand the plastic parts first, then prime and then paint.

Or, just prime and paint?

I'm fairly new to this painting stuff....so forgive my newb questions :)

Edited by Mikeymo

Either technique should work for you. I find with highly visible parts that you will be doing multiple priming and color layers then scuffing pre priming is helpful. The primer seems to bite better. For parts you are just going to prime, paint and then glue together (engine block for example) sanding isn't as critical. Codger has a good painting tutorial in his pocher rolls thread and there are helpful hints/step by steps in the pocher Mercedes roadster build by larchiefeng. 

The grey plastic should be painted indeed, I would clean it (degrease bath) then prime and paint.

The yellow one is for sale here now, I like the red more but I dislike the color difference between the metal and plastic parts as with the Ducati.

How are your seats and tires?
The profile on my back tires was wobbling.

I have found one metal part which is slightly bent. Which will cause serious fitting issues. It's quite thin, so I don't particularly want to try and bend it back into shape.     :(   

I have also got several parts missing from sprue "L"    :worry:

L - 08, 09, 10 & 11 are completely missing.

I've checked all the plastic bags, right throughout the box, incase they'd dislodged and came loose. But nope, they're completely missing.

This is actually very bad, considering this kit cost me almost AU$1000.

I really don't want to send it back, but I have emailed Pocher/Hornby to see if they can replace the parts. If they can't or won't, then I am sending this back.

For the money I paid for this Pocher Huracan kit, I can buy the below two kits and then still have plenty of change!
Which I will be doing if the parts don't get replaced.

I had high hopes for this, and was really hoping your issues were isolated, Dinky...but it seems there is zero quality control at Pocher. Which is astonishing, given how much htye charge for their kits!

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/23206porsche/
http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/12047enzo_ferrari/index.htm

If I return the Huracan and purchase the above ones, I'll save several hundred dollars and still have two amazing kits. Tamiya quality is pretty good!

Given the recent Pocher news, about them separating from Hornby. I'm not holding my breath for new parts. I'll know in the next 48 hours whether I'll be sending it back or waiting for parts. I really want to build it! But I'm not settling for inferior or missing parts.

What seriously, how can they make such a mess? 

The market for these models is not so big and still they are able to dissatisfy customers and make them not buy models again.

I cancelled the spare parts request when I returned my box and I got confirmation, even do they shipped some of the parts but not the whole sprue that I was missing :o
Took them 7 weeks to delivers these parts... Im done with Pocher, not going to spend more money on it anymore.

I really hope yours work out and you will be able to get replacement parts soon.

What is the metal part that is damaged?

Not good news, i started reading this and was looking forward to the build. Ive always wanted a pocher kit but could never afford one, now im able to i thought i could never justify the cost to my missus, its my 60th this yr and my missus asked what i wanted and toung in cheek i said a pocher kit and she said ok. I nearly passed out.

After hearing these storys though i may have to rethink that. 

In a kit of this price customer care should be right on it they should be falling over themselves to help not just ingnoring you and treating you with contempt. 

• Like 1

KP, there's still a lot of other Pochers out there and the Aventadors are now selling on eBay for as low as $425 over here. The problems seem to be with the Huracan and they started before the kit was ever released. I think that they missed the release date by about 18 months or so. So, it's not at all surprising that this kit has so many issues.