HAF RF-4 retirement day

Jinxman

Just heard that the 5th May 2017 should be the RF-4's last day for the Hellenic Air Force - we knew they couldn't go on forever but will be sad to see them go all the same.

cheers

• Like 1

So much for flying at RIAT then ! But a sad day though.

Guy

People talk about the longevity of the B-52 (first flight 1952, in service 1955) and C-130 (first flight 1954, in service 1956), but the Phantom II is not far behind (first flight 1958, in service 1960). 

On 31. 12. 2016 at 4:01 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

So that leaves who? Israel? Iran? Turkey? Japan?

Greece still has a fleet of upgraded F-4E types. Iran, Japan, South Korea and Turkey are the only other Phantom users left as far as I know.

Israel retired their last Phantoms in 2004.

Edited by upnorth

• 1 month later...

The intention was to limit the number of spotters to 300 but according to the email I received last night confirming my place they have increased the number to 500 due to overwhelming demand but will not increase it beyond that.

I am number 460.

4 hours ago, Latinbear said:

The intention was to limit the number of spotters to 300 but according to the email I received last night confirming my place they have increased the number to 500 due to overwhelming demand but will not increase it beyond that.

I am number 460.

Yikes! A real once in a lifetime opportunity, then.

1 hour ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Yikes! A real once in a lifetime opportunity, then.

Yes indeed! Just sneaked in under the wire as it were although it's probably not advisable to try that on a Hellenic Air Force base. :think: 

• Like 3

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 2:34 PM, Stosh65 said:

All those holidays to Greece hoping for a glimpse of one zooming overhead...

The beaches of the Ionian hold a slightly lesser appeal now.

Your comment reminds me a holiday to Kefalonia in May 1991 where we were treated to the sight of F104s and F4s flying over late afternoon/early evening. Only ever as singletons but I wasn't complaining. Oh for the good old days!

• Like 1

I remember doing FAC work in Northen Greece with these and also the Greek A-7`s,.......... very professional aircrew and made the most of their aircraft, sorry to see them go,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1