Revell 1/48 Phantom FGR2 19(F) Sqn

Here is the next victim of my "I've worked on that" collection.

Phantom FGR2 XV430 'A' of 19F Sqn. Yes, sorry to those DG/DSG camo fans- it's grey!

I've not seen the Hasegawa original for quality, but the Revell version was full of flash and seam lines to clean up.

I did my usual, throw lots of AM at it to boost my abilities, I'm pretty happy with the result.

IMG_3633.jpg

IMG_3771.jpg

IMG_3800.jpg

IMG_3786.jpg

IMG_3788.jpg

IMG_3792.jpg

IMG_3797.jpg

IMG_3796.jpg

IMG_3801.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Rob.

• Like 48

Ooh that's nice, very nice. A phantom looks good even in grey. A good degree of weathering and grime; I can just imagine it parked outside a Wildenrath HAS.

There's a bloke at work who was on 19 when they disbanded with the Phantoms and I've wanted to build one for a few years now.

Well done.

Cheers

Gaz

• Like 1

"Phantastic"

Great looking F-4 some nice looking details :goodjob:

Guy

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

:ditto: As stated by others above, she's a Phabulous, Phantastic, and may I add a Mighty Phine Phantom. 

Great in the Grey Ghost scheme  - but which paints did you use please? as the shading is perfect.

Cheers from a fellow 29(F) Phixer  :).

Edited by 29Triplex
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, 29Triplex said:

Hi Rob,

:ditto: As stated by others above, she's a Phabulous, Phantastic, and may I add a Mighty Phine Phantom. 

Great in the Grey Ghost scheme  - but which paints did you use please? as the shading is perfect.

Cheers from a fellow 29(F) Phixer  :).

Hi.

The colours are all mostly Humbrol acrylics. Upper surface is Barley grey 167, when first painted it looked to be too green. After coats of Tamiya X22 clear, UMP dark dirt wash & Tamiya XF86 flat clear, it looked just right.

The radome is 165 medium sea grey. The undersides are 166 light aircraft grey (this was a faff). On initial paint it looked too brown, I didn't like it so tried Vallejo 70.989 sky grey, the SUU 23a, fletcher tanks & inboard pylons are still that colour. When I sprayed the main aircraft it looked too dark. So I went back to the Humbrol LAG but added about 20% of white to it, then it had the Tamiya clears and UMP wash.

Hope this helps.

Rob.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Hi.

The colours are all mostly Humbrol acrylics. Upper surface is Barley grey 167, when first painted it looked to be too green. After coats of Tamiya X22 clear, UMP dark dirt wash & Tamiya XF86 flat clear, it looked just right.

The radome is 165 medium sea grey. The undersides are 166 light aircraft grey (this was a faff). On initial paint it looked too brown, I didn't like it so tried Vallejo 70.989 sky grey, the SUU 23a, fletcher tanks & inboard pylons are still that colour. When I sprayed the main aircraft it looked too dark. So I went back to the Humbrol LAG but added about 20% of white to it, then it had the Tamiya clears and UMP wash.

Hope this helps.

Rob.

Cheers for the colours, confirms what I thought for mine - makes a change for me to be somewhere near!

Did you use a primer?

How did you get on with the resin AIM-9s? Where they warped/bent at all? If so how did you go about straightening them? My set have a beautiful curve in all but one of them....

The primer is grey fine surface primer in a rattle can by Tamiya.

The winders were by Brassin bought from Hannants, I did a large order for all the AM stuff for all the builds. They were pretty straight, just needed a quick dunk in hot water to finish the job.

• Like 1

Cheers.
Did the same with some Brassin AIM-9Js earlier, far less worrying than I thought it would be. :)

Smashing, thanks, think Im all set, apart from decals, for a Falklands jobby now. Oh, just need to figure out the brownish nose, thatll be done on the fly. Appreciate the info!