MiG-25 RB Recce Foxbat in action at Cairo West 1971 ICM 1/48 finished!!

exdraken

• 2 weeks later...

working slowly on details, like the parachute container, wings, nosecone, etc. but nothing really presentable ;)

dipped the canopy in Future/ Klear so hopefully I can start masking it next week! I will let it dry thoroughly in order to not having any Tamiya tape residues after painting.... :( 

canopy fits very well, I just noted that I have to decide if I want to present it open now.... the "hinges" in the cockpit would stand very much in the way if I decided to close it.... would make painting easier and more consistent around the canopy, no?....

hi, if someone wants to super-detail the Foxbat or open up some panels, these might be useful ;)

this one sits or sat somewhere in Kiev, and is definitely not a very late Foxbat...

http://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/2014/05/gutted-mig-25-foxbat-ukraine-aviation-museum-kiev/

by the way, flaps are always up with engines shut down? or do they drop? there are hardly any pictures out there with dropped flaps

this one:

http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/mig25/mig255.html

mig25_3.jpg

Edited by exdraken

15 hours ago, exdraken said:

canopy fits very well, I just noted that I have to decide if I want to present it open now.... the "hinges" in the cockpit would stand very much in the way if I decided to close it.... would make painting easier and more consistent around the canopy, no?....

I'm having the same problem, wouldn't mind posing the canopy open but want to have it closed and masked for painting. Going to be a pain masking off the canopyless cockpit, I may try to remove the 'hinges' for the open cockpit with a razor saw and fix them back in place after.

Great links too!

Muzz

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Muzz said:

I may try to remove the 'hinges' for the open cockpit with a razor saw and fix them back in place after. 

Muzz

That might be an option, yes indeed!

for the time being some shots:

IMG_4953_1_1_zpsmh8668gp.jpg

IMG_4954_1_1_zpson8x7yc4.jpg

IMG_4956_1_1_zpsvnhlcm55.jpg

transparency and visibility is good, so maybe I will just model it closed!

IMG_4957_1_1_zpsfao9ewxz.jpg

brakechute container further improved, on some photos there seems to be a rather large faring on the port side... on some not... any ideas?

IMG_4960_1_1_zpslopiue5z.jpg

IMG_4961_1_1_zpsc00usro1.jpg

• Like 5

20 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Nice work Werner, picking up some very useful tips for my build.

I like your work on the brake chute housing, the one I'm building has the same early type of housing so i will have to do something similar, as well as adding the missing "lump" under the nose.

The housing style changed somewhen late 70ies afaik! Or you simply buy tje CWS resin one.... :)

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 2

yesterday I put together the landing gears,

quite many parts, looks complicated, but isn't!

and they fit perfectly after mounting the plane ;)

some cleanup still necessary!

IMG_4962_1_1_zpsojbx7ba2.jpg

IMG_4963_1_1_zpsdupcrrig.jpg

IMG_4964_1_1_zpsv5naai8l.jpg

IMG_4966_1_1_zps2evaewkx.jpgIMG_4965_1_1_zpswxaqof0w.jpg

IMG_4968_1_1_zps5gfxjyty.jpg

apart, I put my "flaps"  question again, maybe someone's reponse can be triggerd by the picture!

by the way, flaps are always up with engines shut down? or do they drop? there are hardly any pictures out there with dropped flaps

this one:

http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/mig25/mig255.html

mig25_3.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

so...

finally after 2 months of no modelling, some progress, small but nontheless!! :)

germetica generously applied, maybe a bit too much ;)

IMG_5050_1_1_zps8igxjsc2.jpg

so in the next step I also masked it of and sanded away the rest,

IMG_5222_1_1_zpsqumrs3k8.jpg 

IMG_5223_1_1_zpsgxubfcph.jpg

masked off the rear  natural metal areas and sprayed on a layer of Alclad II

IMG_5224_1_1_zps7gikvzpa.jpg

IMG_5225__1_zpskqqi5tyr.jpg

some more shades need to be applied here ;)

IMG_5227_1_1_zpsxj1tc6di.jpg

but at least something done again!

thanks for critics, ideas and comments

cheers, Werner

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Coming along very well werner, what is that you have put on the canopy,germetica,?

What is it for,,? a mask, i have this beast in the stash i may well build it next

Glynn

Hi!

The pink colored canopy sealant of the real aircraft is called Germetika. I just painted pink color on with a brush and masked it off afterwards for airframe oainting, so it is hardly visible now. You could do it of course also the other way round!

The masks themselves are simple Tamiya tape. I know there are great pre-cut masks available now. But not when I started....would have saved a lot of work for sure ;)

Buy the way, I just ordered tbe Coldwar Studio resin nose...it seems that I will need a second kit as well for a late RBT!! :banghead:

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Those cold war resin noses look really good  i agree ,will it be for this kit or another 25

Definitely not for this one ! First I am not gonna cut off my nicely alugned nose now... and second, this one is to represent a very early RB with different bulges to the later style RB(T) nose as should be seen on all export planes and later (from ~1979) Soviet RBTs! ;)

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 2

Nice work Werner, that pink germetika certainly stands out! Will have to remember to add that to my build.

I'm not sure about the aircraft you are building but the natural metal area on the one I'm doing (and other Mig-25's I've seen) extends much further forward under the fuselage, right up to the wheel wells in fact. I will try to post some pictures later today.

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Nice work Werner, that pink germetika certainly stands out! Will have to remember to add that to my build.

I'm not sure about the aircraft you are building but the natural metal area on the one I'm doing (and other Mig-25's I've seen) extends much further forward under the fuselage, right up to the wheel wells in fact. I will try to post some pictures later today.

Thanks mm! The natural metal area puzzledme yesterday when naskkng it already. I was exoecting to mask a much larger area below,  that is one of the reasons why i did not mount the wings yet..., but could not find clear references of an RB(T) wich showed it clearly... also the upper fuselage oanels ard a bit of a mystery to me!!

There id y nicd walk around around  showing the upper area very well... but does not rrally match the kit :(

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hewy said:

Coming along very well werner, what is that you have put on the canopy,germetica,?

What is it for,,? a mask, i have this beast in the stash i may well build it next

Glynn

Think a mig 25 group build?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valkyrie said:

Think a mig 25 group build?

maybe MIG-25/-31 combined??

in 48 at least we need some more -25 variants released first I guess....

BM!!!

decent P/PD/PDS

PU/ RU

and all the different recce variants

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

maybe the changed the painted areas throughout the service live... it looks that some planes have a very white looking natural metal section in front of "mine" that its a lot darker in appearance. could be Magnesium that is simply not pained in later service life? all the camouflaged planes do not seem to have it that prominently. additionally it seems that the ventral fins are also in the same light , metallic colour!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, exdraken said:

maybe MIG-25/-31 combined??

in 48 at least we need some more -25 variants released first I guess....

BM!!!

decent P/PD/PDS

PU/ RU

and all the different recce variants

maybe the changed the painted areas throughout the service live... it looks that some planes have a very white looking natural metal section in front of "mine" that its a lot darker in appearance. could be Magnesium that is simply not pained in later service life? all the camouflaged planes do not seem to have it that prominently. additionally it seems that the ventral fins are also in the same light , metallic colour!

What about a 25 and 31 double header... u gotta build both?

3 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

What about a 25 and 31 double header... u gotta build both?

yeah.... within 3 months, can be easily done...... just look at this build here....:P

• Like 1

some interior green on the outside ;)

and finally wings mounted.

some "generous" use of filler, not cleaned up yet (perfect plastic putty :) )  

IMG_5543_1_1_zpsjmhhgtvd.jpg

IMG_5546_1_1_zpsy06wdkfq.jpg

IMG_5547_1_1_zpsjfgw2bsf.jpg

and some head on shots for fear ;)

IMG_5548_1_1_zpsrv5fugoc.jpgIMG_5549_1_1_zpsp0srycvv.jpg

• Like 2