MiG-25 RB Recce Foxbat in action at Cairo West 1971 ICM 1/48 finished!!

exdraken

On 2017. 01. 24. at 9:09 PM, exdraken said:

the astonishingly large R-15-300? 

I did some re-modelling of the inner aferburner section wall, as these corrugated shape does not seem present on MiG-25RB models. at least not on the pictures that I found....short petal fighter versions seem to have the corrugated metal inlet though..... :banghead: but who knows, maybe it is late vs early production or some other reason... 

It is not type specific. You will find recon version with one of the engines with corrugated while the other is plain. Corrugated and not corrugated present on both interceptors and recons. So, it all depends on the particular example that you are building (if there are references for it).

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

It is not type specific. You will find recon version with one of the engines with corrugated while the other is plain. Corrugated and not corrugated present on both interceptors and recons. So, it all depends on the particular example that you are building (if there are references for it).

Best regards

Gabor

thanks Gabor!

so, do  you think that in ~1971 there where already 2 different afterburner sections?.....strange!!

there is still a lot to be uncovered it seems!

:)

It is not a question of the afterburner.  Afterburner section is integral part of the engine itself, while the there is a pipe section after this. The empty pipe section is the one where we find differences, some have the corrugated inner surface while others are built from plain welded sheets of steel.

Please note that when they remove the engine from the aircraft, the pipe section and the exhaust petals at the very end are taken out with a special dolly, it is pulled out backwards while the engine itself is removed to the side and down from the bay. Have a look at the engine, it has a very narrow ring of corrugated heat protection just next/after the afterburner flame holder rings. This very narrow corrugated ring is part of all R-15 engines! What you have after that, the pipe itself which could be very different and you could have a mix of the pipes, just corrugated or just plain.

Best regards

Gabor  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Had a look at photos I took of the very early research MiG-25R in Monino back in late 1980’s when it was still under roof and it had plain engine exhaust pipes.

Best regards

Gabor

thanks, superb info!

I am lucky then with my mod....at least not the other way round ;)

I know these photos, I guess it shows very well what you describe above about engine removal!!

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Galleries/Special/Features/Foxbats/11-FoxbatEngine.jpg.html

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/performance/mig25/r15.jpg

Edited by exdraken

great photos showing perfectly the 2 differrent "pipe" styles! wonder why and when they where developped and introduced!

by the way, Im am searching for good photos of the early style parabrake housing! any ideas or hints?

thanks!!

Werner 

6 minutes ago, vesthepes said:

Besides the blue 57, you could opt for the blue 41. There is a photo of it in the Gordon/Komissarov book. 

This might be useful:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/photo/viewcat.php?id=13182&cid=369&min=48&orderby=dateA&show=12

great photo!

thanks!

yeah, would be an option!

146284MiG2563OAO.jpg751730mig25rb2.jpg

these 2 I know of where you can actually see some makings

also look at the all but sharp anti glare paint demarcation!

and these 2 supposedly from 1973

EGIPTO+MIG-25RB+2.jpg

EGIPTO+MIG-25RB+1.jpg

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 4

Yo have a bunch of WAs on this site

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/mig-25/mig-25_all.shtml

Nice progress on the MiG. I am also somwhere in that stage with mine. Syrian of course :)

One has to be careful not to follow instruction steps literally, dryfitting helps a lot, specially around the intakes. I am enjoying building the Foxbat very much. 

Edited by vesthepes
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, IPMS19 said:

- A good pic is better than hundred words, these pics to illustrate the posts above

25-burner_zpsxirypykf.jpg

Yes, it is massive! Just as this happy enthusiast, my girlfriend was sitting inside the exhaust getting a suntan at Hodinka field in late 90's. OK back in those days the Hodinka aircraft still had all their parts in place including the exhaust petal structures.

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 2

Great reference photos guys, although some of the photos on the cybermodeler site maybe show that my mod to add the bulge under the nose for the RBT is perhaps a bit big! Is this area the same on the RB as it is for the RBT?

Muzz

wings not glued yet, but fit seems to be good, no warping of any sorts as reported elsewhere :)

IMG_4923_1_1_zpsoejcwa5l.jpg

IMG_4928_1_1_zpskxn2dwgw.jpg

IMG_4929_1_1_zpslovlsuaq.jpg

17 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

a3_zps8fqwu0zt.jpg

a4_zpsvqtoqt8x.jpg

12 hours ago, exdraken said:

these nozzles cry for some PE from Eduard, no? ;)

2 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

NO

maybe I do not understand you correctly, but, yes, the kit nozzles look the part, but they could be sharper, thinner, have rivet detail, etc! maybe you mean that resin would be better suited!

could be someone else of course! Northstar did great MiG-29 and Su-27 nozzles, as does Dream model for the Su-27.

I will live with the kit nozzles I guess, need to paint them better, that is for sure!

IMG_4922_1_1_zpss6tlz8sb.jpg

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 2

Your kit looks very nice!!! :worthy: :worthy: But I see the weather in the background is about as bad and grey in Austria as it is here in Hungary. :mellow:

First of all, Eduard has already shown images of the detail sets ( I think 4 sets)  they plan to release in March for the ICM Foxbat kit. And it has no such details included.

A resin exhaust could be a solution but please have a look at the trailing edge of the exhaust on the photos above. It is in real life few millimetres “thick” or to be more precise thin!!! It is a single thickness heat resistant steel sheet. On the other side have a look at the Phantom engine exhaust set or the one included in the Starfighter which are part of Eduard rebox. They are grossly over thick!!! Far, far from authentic, while the internal and external details on them are very nice, the extremely thick trailing edge ruins the whole product. It is the same with almost all their products. Just to check I did ask Turkish Phantom crew to let me measure measure and have a closer look at the exhaust. It is not like what you get in the Eudard set.  

I did ask the Eduard people about this some time ago and they said the resin cast technology they are using is not suitable for casting such thin trailing edges.

As to the ICM engine exhaust, I find it intriguing that while in the cockpit they were able to add fantastic fine details with the exhaust a very basic surface was provided. :wall:  It is sad that they did not take more time in detailing to a similar level the exhausts.

Best regards

Gabor

38 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

Your kit looks very nice!!! :worthy: :worthy: But I see the weather in the background is about as bad and grey in Austria as it is here in Hungary. :mellow:

First of all, Eduard has already shown images of the detail sets ( I think 4 sets)  they plan to release in March for the ICM Foxbat kit. And it has no such details included.

A resin exhaust could be a solution but please have a look at the trailing edge of the exhaust on the photos above. It is in real life few millimetres “thick” or to be more precise thin!!! It is a single thickness heat resistant steel sheet. On the other side have a look at the Phantom engine exhaust set or the one included in the Starfighter which are part of Eduard rebox. They are grossly over thick!!! Far, far from authentic, while the internal and external details on them are very nice, the extremely thick trailing edge ruins the whole product. It is the same with almost all their products. Just to check I did ask Turkish Phantom crew to let me measure measure and have a closer look at the exhaust. It is not like what you get in the Eudard set.  

I did ask the Eduard people about this some time ago and they said the resin cast technology they are using is not suitable for casting such thin trailing edges.

As to the ICM engine exhaust, I find it intriguing that while in the cockpit they were able to add fantastic fine details with the exhaust a very basic surface was provided. :wall:  It is sad that they did not take more time in detailing to a similar level the exhausts.

Best regards

Gabor

must have missed it! there are future releases listed at hannats, but without pics....if Eduard do not include this kind of detail, you are are right of course! I 'd like to see the outer petals, these single sheet heat resistant metal in PE to replace the ICM outer shape. Eduard did it quite well with the MIrage 2000 exhaust PE that was included in their limited edition single seater kits several years ago....

can't be too hard!?

you are right, some of the resin trailing edges are simply too thick . not suitable therefor.

but there is hope!

Revell is set to release the same kit, so a large market base should be there! 

1 hour ago, ya-gabor said:

They will be doing for the ICM RBT:

Masks EX 545

Cockpit / interios 49815

and FE 815

Steel seat belts 49816

Here are few photos of them on the Russian site:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_67096_start_340.html

It is down the page the 8th comment or so.

Best regards

Gabor

thanks!, great link with many additional resources!

need to improve my non existant Russian I guess!

according to hannants, there also will be an exterior set. Still hope then!

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ED48918

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

some work modifying/ backdating the brake-chute container

based on drawing to get the outer contour ~ right I cut one side first and then used a file to modify the other side accoringly

IMG_4933_1_1_zpsheckzgq1.jpg

IMG_4930_1_1_zpsoeuunxyh.jpg

by the way, the Master pitot  arrived form hobbyeasy -  a dream!

IMG_4937_1_1_zpsixjohkpy.jpg

that is how it looks on the plane:

IMG_4940_1_1_zpsvy0vvcmm.jpg

some-crude- application of perfect plastic putty :~

IMG_4941_1_1_2_zpsolqm2jkr.jpg 

and a first iteration attacking this with a file and sandpaper:

IMG_4945_1_1_zpsgiowbykl.jpg

IMG_4943_1_1_zpswd5acexn.jpg

IMG_4948_1_1_zpsmpsuptfj.jpg

yeah, needs some more work, but you get the idea!

• Like 3