Model Gallery 2016: 1/72 WWII Aircraft and Vehicles by Roman Schilhart

Roman Schilhart

Dear fellow Britmodellers, here’s my roundup of models built in 2016.

This was another year without female company, therefore plenty of time for the workbench.

This resulted in the highest output of models I have ever recorded.

Plus, I got myself a new hobby room and glass shelves to display my work.

So even if 2016 was dire in some aspects, there were also plenty of lighthearted moments!

January 2016

Started over the Christmas holidays, this was the first kit to be finished in 2016.

It’s Eduard’s marvelous 1/72 Fw-190 A8, dressed in colours of JG300, 1945.

a_DSC7489_zpstjipngtt.jpg

March 2016

In 2015, I did not finish a single vehicle or tank. This was about to change this year, as I’ve got plenty of interesting kits in stock. I started with Schatton’s 1/72 Daimler Benz 4500 truck.

Cargo load from Blackdog.

a_DSC8073_zpsxtdryynn.jpg

1/72 Tamiya P-47D Thunderbolt built straight from the box.

a_DSC8049_zps7qmdfs7f.jpg

April 2016

1/72 Panzer III from Dragon.

This was a kit I had started about a year ago.

While Dragon's plastic parts fit nicely, the photo etch side skirts need a lot of tender-love-and-care to get them positioned correctly (something I've not entierly achieved).

However I feel they look much better than the kit's oversized plastic parts and you can add some 'battle-damage' with a pen.

a_DSC8746_zps59d60nv3.jpg

1/72 Dragon Chruchill IV

Another Dragon kit. I did not use Dragon's decal option (only one included) as a quick online search revealed that "Castlerobin IV" had actually a different type of gun.

So out came the spares box, and a turret number from another Churchill (Matchbox' AVRE if I remeber correctly).

Only the "4" (identifying North Irish Horse Regiment) from Dragon's decal sheet was used.

a_DSC8766_zpsj0next3t.jpg

1/72 AZ Model Messerschmitt Bf-109 G-10

I used Brengun photo etch for various details and Master Model gun barrels and pitot tube.

Decals are from AZ's boxing.

a_DSC8777_zps8wt31koe.jpg

May 2016

1/72 Profiline Steyr 1500

I have a special interest in this vehicle as it was built in my country - in the town of Steyr in Upper Austria, to be exact (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steyr).

Profiline seems to be a subsidiary of Special Hobby, and the same kit is also marketed under their 'Special Armour' range.

It comes in various set-ups, as a cargo truck or ambulance vehicle.

When CMK/Special Hobby attended IMPS Austria's Go Modelling in March 2016 they had some version of this kit reduced -50%.

I got myself three.

Here's the first one finished.

Cargo are resin items from CMK, my spares box and scratch built tarpaulin (from rubber gloves).

a_DSC9177_zpsi6wtjprw.jpg

1/72 AZ Model Messerschmitt Bf-109 G-14

'Blue 4' of JG 53 with decals from DZ Casper.

The model was enhanced using Brengun photo etch set and Rob Taurus vacu canopy.

a_DSC9212_zpsgomdpoic.jpg

June 2016

1/72 Trumpeter Char B.1

My very first Trumpeter kit.

a_DSC9505_zpswbhhakge.jpg

1/72 AZ Model Messerschmitt Bf-109 G-14AS

This is the G-14AS.

As far as I am aware this type has never been available as an injection molded kit before.

a_DSC9422_zpsflr3vy0c.jpg

1/72 Unimodel T-34/85

T-34/85 from Ukrainian manufacturer Unimodel (aka UM). Not entirely happy how this turned out.

Being primarily an aircraft modeller, I still need to learn a lot about link-and-length tracks.

May have to go through more military vehicle models to improve my experience!

a_DSC9495_zpsuqvjnvcd.jpg

1/72 Zvezda Yakolev Yak-3

A “Snap Fit” kit from Zvezda that is actually a very detailed scale replica.

The model represents the plane of Lt. S. I. Rogovoy, of 64th GIAP / 4th GIAD, on the 2nd Baltic Front, autumn 1944.

a_DSC9458_zpsmsteugmq.jpg

July 2016

1/72 Kovozavody Prostejov Mustang III

Presented in RAF markings for 19th Squadron, based at Peterhead, spring 1945.

Can you spot the goof?

I glued the main gear doors wrong way around!

a_DSC9922_zps6dzwbl7i.jpg

1/72 Fine Molds Messerschmitt Bf-109 K4 “Erich Hartmann”

Another Bf-109 finished - this is the Finemolds K4 boxing "Hartmann's Last Combat".

Rob Taurus vacu canopy and Eduard photo etch added.

Pitot tube from Master Models.

a_DSC9952_zpslmnaz6k0.jpg

1/72 Zvezda T-34/85

Zvezda's tracks come as one piece, you simply wrap them around the wheels.

I found them much easier to work with than the link-and-length tracks.

a_DSC9984_zpsflikm3nc.jpg

1/72 Unimodels Achilles IIc

British Tank destroyer from 11th Armoured Division, 75th Anti-Tank Regiment, operating in NW Europe, Winter 1944/45.

a_DSC0124_zps8jcpd4p3.jpg

1/72 Hasegawa Consolidated B-24 J Liberator

This kit had been in-the-making for 18 months, the most work went into the Alclad metallic paint job.

Finished as "The Shack" of 458th Bomb Group, 754th Squadron.

a_DSC0070_zpsy60y32pf.jpg

August 2016

1/72 Eduard Spitfire IXc

A new release this summer, I couldn’t wait to lay my paws on Eduard’s wonderful kit.

This is MH712, flown by W/O Henryk Dygala, No. 302 Squadron, Summer / Autumn 1944.

a_DSC0274_zps9not0zif.jpg

1/72 Hasegawa Junkers Ju-88G6

Another kit that was waiting, fully assembled and half-painted, in the stash for some time awaiting inspiration. The standard blue/grey mottle scheme did not really attract me. Then along came Authentic Decals’ aftermarket sheet AD72-26 with that interesting scheme.

Their decals were pretty crappy, so I only used the squadron codes.

a_DSC0460_zpsehogkohp.jpg

1/72 Kovozavody Prostejov Piper L-4

A most welcome new kit from the Czech manufacturer, but a bit rough in places. It didn’t turn out as good as I had hoped.

Dressed as General Patton's personal aircraft in France, 1944.

a_DSC0648_zpscfywbtre.jpg

1/72 Kovozavody Prostejov Lavochkin La-5FN

a_DSC0657_zpsrmpvpwia.jpg

1/72 Messerschmitt Me-262 B1

Another kit that was resurrected from the ‘stash of doom’ this year, where it had been sleeping for many moons. The main problem was that I stuffed in too much nose weight and was afraid the plastic undercarriage would not hold. It barely does.

Final inspiration came from an article in “Jet & Prop” (a German magazine) which had a feature on Pilot Kurt Welter, one of the pioneers of the jet age.

a_DSC0719_zpsuzmbb7rs.jpg

September 2016

Got my new hobby room!

That’s what it was before:

IMG_0324_zpsq9kpbfdk.jpg

That’s how it looks now:

IMG_0334_zpsfy2jixwn.jpg

Because of the construction works, my hobby room was out-of-function for a couple of weeks, and I only finished one kit (on the dining table in my living room).

It’s Brengun’s 1/72 Yak-1 (late production).

a_DSC1048_zpseupashg3.jpg

October 2016

1/72 AZ Models Messerschmitt Bf-109 G-14AS

And another Bf-109 from the AZ kit. I have around 20 finished Bf-109s by now, and that’s still not enough.

This is the G-14AS version, built with Brengun photo etch and Rob Taurus vacu.

Pitot tube from Master Model.

Decals from Model Alliance "Defending The Reich's Skies Pt.2", representing a machine of JG77, early 1945.

a_DSC1150_zpszxowhmlm.jpg

1/72 Tamiya Focke Wulf Fw-109D

a_DSC1100_zpsvu3kcj1o.jpg

November 2016

1/72 Dragon Sherman M4A3

a_DSC3289_zpsazornohl.jpg

1/72 Dragon/Cyber Hobby Gloster Meteor F3

Since I build WWII models exclusively, there aren’t many jets on my display shelves, of course. To balance out my Me-262s I added this Gloster Meteor to my collection.

a_DSC3258_zps6c6denvp.jpg

December 2016

1/72 Revell Handley Page Halifax B.III

Another 4-engined bomber finished this year.

Built from the box with addition of Kora resin wheels.

a_DSC3169_zpsdalc5q3b.jpg

Thanks for looking!

All photographs by Wolfgang Rabel, IGM Cars & Bikes.

Greetings from Vienna, Austria.

• Like 23

Gruss Gott Roman,

A magnificent collection of models - and for someone who doesn't make many aeroplane models, your vehicles and tanks are especially good!

Eine sehr Gluckliches Neues Jahr von Karnten und England

Edited by Whofan
clarification!

Hi My Friend Roman!!!!

Have been watching all your preformance in 2016, hope to have at least the half you did with the 40% quality you worked, as a true master like you for sure a modeler like me will have some ten to twenty years of training to equel one of your works, but as time permits, for sure will continue in persevereance to look what I can do with the talent and things available here. The most wonderful of this selections: Each one!!!... I liked allyour work but the most O liked are the Messerschmitts and the russian aviation exponents. 

Thank you very much fgor sharing and have a Nice and Wonderful New Year with plenty of projects to do and share with us to give a huge lot of boost to our creativity and joy!!!

Cheers from Guatemala!!!!

Luis Alfonso

A truly wonderful collection of beautifully made and finished models for the year. I always enjoy looking at your models in the RFI sections. Very well done.

Kind regards,

Stix