Wheels on Hellcat FR.II

ReccePhreak

Would a RN Hellcat FR.II (Late war) have diamond tread wheels or plain tread? What type of hubs would they have had?

I am trying to figure out which Barracuda Studios Resin wheels to get for my Hasegawa 1/32 F6F-5 Hellcat conversion to an FR.II.

I am also trying to see if I can cobble together enough markings from the Techmod decal sheet 32015 for a RN Hellcat FR.II. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Techmod-Decals-1-32-GRUMMAN-HELLCAT-Mk-I-British-Fighter-/131814138344?hash=item1eb0bc21e8

I am also thinking of getting the CMK cockpit set #5004.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CMK5004

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak
more info

1 hour ago, Fernando said:

Hi, ReccePhreak,

I guess it has nothing to do with the "FR" quality of the machine. Going exactly as you would with any standard Mk.II doesn't make sense?

Fernando

Hi Fernando,

Thanks, I guess I will have to keep looking, to see if I can find any clear enough photos that would show what type of wheels a late war Royal Navy Hellcat would have.

Larry

RF,

After looking at every photo in my copy of the outstanding  Steve Ginter monograph on the Hellcat, I think the only wheel type fitted during WW2  was the one with flat open spokes; it looks the tires on dash 3 and 5 Hellcats could have either the diamond or waffle tread pattern; IIRC, the tread type was dependent upon the manufacturer, for example, Goodyear, General, Firestone, etc. I could only find one photo of an F6F-5 that had the solid spoke  cast wheel, and that was a postwar Hellcat. I know the Corsair and Hellcat both used the same wheel, and many of the late model and postwar Corsairs were fitted with the solid spoke cast wheel, probably because they were stronger and the later variants were carrying a lot more weight, being used much  more in the ground support role. Many restored airworthy Corsairs and Hellcats appear to have been fitted with the cast wheel, probably because they are more readily available and are stronger. I didn't see any photos that showed dash 5's fitted with smooth tires, though. Hopefully somebody will be along with more knowledge on this topic.

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

RF,

After looking at every photo in my copy of the outstanding  Steve Ginter monograph on the Hellcat, I think the only wheel type fitted during WW2  was the one with flat open spokes; it looks the tires on dash 3 and 5 Hellcats could have either the diamond or waffle tread pattern; IIRC, the tread type was dependent upon the manufacturer, for example, Goodyear, General, Firestone, etc. I could only find one photo of an F6F-5 that had the solid spoke  cast wheel, and that was a postwar Hellcat. I know the Corsair and Hellcat both used the same wheel, and many of the late model and postwar Corsairs were fitted with the solid spoke cast wheel, probably because they were stronger and the later variants were carrying a lot more weight, being used much  more in the ground support role. Many restored airworthy Corsairs and Hellcats appear to have been fitted with the cast wheel, probably because they are more readily available and are stronger. I didn't see any photos that showed dash 5's fitted with smooth tires, though. Hopefully somebody will be along with more knowledge on this topic.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the informative reply. Here's the wheels I planned on getting:

3211901.jpg

This is another type they sell:

32021-01.jpg 

Regards,

Larry

5 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

Mike,

Thanks for the informative reply. Here's the wheels I planned on getting:

3211901.jpg

This is another type they sell:

32021-01.jpg 

Regards,

Larry

The flat wide spokes are the correct ones for a WW2 era Hellcat or Corsair.

• Like 1

I expect I'm preaching to the converted but be very careful about the mod state of the photo-recce Hellcat you are modelling.  The camera port on the photo linked by Finn above is of a F6F-5P as operated by 888 Sq, FAA (I'm away from all my references at the mo so can't even give the proper FAA design: think it's either Hellcat PR.II or II(PR).)  These came along fairly late in the day and were preceded by a range of different camera mods made to FAA Hellcats, some of which were armed and some of which were not.  Most of these involved vertical or split pair cameras in the belly rather than the fuselage side.  Away from my references, the only rule of thumb I would offer is that if it's in Sea Blue Gloss, it probably has the F6F-5P-style camera fit (as does the Hellcat in the FAA Museum, BTW) and if it has camouflage, it's probably one of the earlier British mods.  For those interested in the subject, there's an interesting contemporary write-up on FAA PR Hellcat configurations among the appendices to Geoff Thomas' Eyes of the Phoenix.    

Off now to try and find a photo illustrating one of the British camera mods.  I know the photo I want but is it on the internet?  [Edit: no, can't find it but it's photo of a Hellcat, poss JW723 "6G", suspended from a crane after a deck collision.  The "suspended from a crane" bit is important as it allows a clear shot of the belly camera aperture and the oil deflector ahead of it.] 

PS Close-up of a FAA Hellcat main tyre: looks pretty smooth to me:

http://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/usa/aircrafts-2-3/f6f-hellcat/f6f-hms-emperor-800-squadron/  

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Seahawk said:

I expect I'm preaching to the converted but be very careful about the mod state of the photo-recce Hellcat you are modelling.  The camera port on the photo linked by Finn above is of a F6F-5P as operated by 888 Sq, FAA (I'm away from all my references at the mo so can't even give the proper FAA design: think it's either Hellcat PR.II or II(PR).)  These came along fairly late in the day and were preceded by a range of different camera mods made to FAA Hellcats, some of which were armed and some of which were not.  Most of these involved vertical or split pair cameras in the belly rather than the fuselage side.  Away from my references, the only rule of thumb I would offer is that if it's in Sea Blue Gloss, it probably has the F6F-5P-style camera fit (as does the Hellcat in the FAA Museum, BTW) and if it has camouflage, it's probably one of the earlier British mods.  For those interested in the subject, there's an interesting contemporary write-up on FAA PR Hellcat configurations among the appendices to Geoff Thomas' Eyes of the Phoenix.    

Off now to try and find a photo illustrating one of the British camera mods.  I know the photo I want but is it on the internet?  [Edit: no, can't find it but it's photo of a Hellcat, poss JW723 "6G", suspended from a crane after a deck collision.  The "suspended from a crane" bit is important as it allows a clear shot of the belly camera aperture and the oil deflector ahead of it.] 

http://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/usa/aircrafts-2-3/f6f-hellcat/f6f-hms-emperor-800-squadron/  

From looking at photos, many F6F-3's had the smooth tires; haven't seen a dash-5 that had them, but that doesn't mean they never did- the Hellcat in the photo has to be a dash-3 as all dash-5's were delivered in  overall sea blue, IIRC, whether they were destined for the U.S. or Britain..

19 hours ago, 72modeler said:

From looking at photos, many F6F-3's had the smooth tires; haven't seen a dash-5 that had them, but that doesn't mean they never did- the Hellcat in the photo has to be a dash-3 as all dash-5's were delivered in  overall sea blue, IIRC, whether they were destined for the U.S. or Britain..

Off topic.  Would agree that the aircraft in the photo is a Mark I (judging by the cowling bulge, an aircraft earlier than JV189.  NB also early perforated gun barrels) but Mark IIs were still being delivered in Temperate Sea Scheme well into the production run, until at least JX878 (B9B of 898 Sq, see Wings of The Phoenix, fig 236).  

On 12/30/2016 at 4:37 AM, Seahawk said:

I have a group of photos of the recce Hellcat from the Fleet Air Arm Museum, that show the camera ports and their oil deflectors. I can't remember if I got them from the Britmodeller Walkaround section or somewhere else online, but they say ©museumplanes.com. I vaguely remember that photo you mentioned, of the recce Hellcat suspended from a crane, but I don't have a copy of it.

Larry

4 hours ago, Seahawk said:

Off topic.  Would agree that the aircraft in the photo is a Mark I (judging by the cowling bulge, an aircraft earlier than JV189.  NB also early perforated gun barrels) but Mark IIs were still being delivered in Temperate Sea Scheme well into the production run, until at least JX878 (B9B of 898 Sq, see Wings of The Phoenix, fig 236).  

SH,

I stand corrected! I'm thinking an FAA dash-5 in the temperate sea scheme would be a mighty handsome Hellcat, as the overall sea blue ones are so plain-looking. Now, I have to begin the search for photos!

Mike

27 minutes ago, datguy said:

The wheels and tires of a PR Hellcat from 888 Sqn FAA in 1945 are illustrated in a photo from post #10 in this this thread:  Forum topic: FAA Corsair IV pilot  It shows the combination of diamond tread and flat spokes a depicted above.

DG 

Interesting shot. I especially like the white(?) anti-slip markings on the tires.

Larry