Revell concorde

Graham316

Okay everyone a small update with what felt like alot of work i have worke on e parts this evening. Beginning with the nose. I have made a rough go of the dashboard under the visor which is still awaiting detail once i can find a suitable image.IMG_20170108_213438_zpszoi0l42o.jpgignore all the tape its only there while im roughly fitting hi gs in place that i have scratchbuilt.

Next was the cabin door which i removed. I wanted to make the hinge as close as possible with the limited spares and parts i had. Here are the main hinge and a support bar found on the real aircraft.Screenshot_20170103-113024_zpsaufefs3r_eScreenshot_20170103-113038_zpschbarwy0.phere is where i am with mine and still need to add details such as the handle and a few smaller details.

IMG_20170108_213346_zpse3s06lti.jpgas you can see it still looks basic and needs more details which will be added at a later date. And you can also see the interior which i have made and again requires detail and painting. Doesn't look alot but has took a while getting all the scratchbuilt parts looking right.

Finally here is a shot of it overall and looking much more like a concorde.

IMG_20170108_214828_zpsli5cu7aq.jpg

Thanks for looking in and as usual more to come tommorow.

• Like 4

Looking good Graham, I'm pleased you're dropping the elevons,  I wish I'd done that with mine now. If the Concorde at Duxford is typical, the elevon/wing join is best described as the cylindrical equivalent  of a 'ball and socket' joint,  so there's no gap at the top. I suppose you could angle the underside with bevel and get the desired effect.

Just a note on the door, it's in two pieces. The top section of about 8-10 inches or so drops back and behind the rest of the door. Well done for putting the door far enough to the left, you'd need to slip through mine like a sideways Indiana Jones. 

If you've taken the door out at the panel lines you might need to split the decal to fit around the opening if the Revell is the same size as the Airfix. 

Also worth noting is the red line on the top of the inner elevons. Airfix give a decal for the underside but not the top, might add that to mine!

Now you've opened the door, what are you plans for air stairs? I'm working on a set though time is in short supply at the moment. 

Cheers HP42, nice advice on the elavons, im thinking i might place a small trim across the top to eliminate the gap between the wing and the elavons. As for the door im still wondering if to trim a section off at the top and then scribe a little detail to make it look like the upper part of the door is in the right position. did question the position of the door i think now John Candy coild fit through mine. As with most things on this kit im chopping up parts and then worrying about the pther parts when i get to them. But thankyou for the warning on the decals ill have a look and let you know.😂😂

Finally as for the stairs ive been digging around on the net and have been trying to find some of the stairs which has the old british airways logo on. Its going to be a scratchbuilt job anywayhut im having difficulty trying to find some decent referances.😐😐

• Like 1

Reconciler, i do beleive therr is one available in resin. A guy on here started it and it stood taller than his son from nose to tail. 😂😂😂 Thanks for the comments. Unfortunately i had a break from it last night and did a little bit of painting on my Airfix Mini which i was given to as a present. Its not to say i have given up on her, but i just needed a night concorde free after all the cutting glueing filling and sanding. Will have some more progress tonight hopefully. Planning on getting the cockpit finished and fitted and also have the interior painted ready for detailing.

• Like 1

Well its been a few days and only a small amount of time has been put into doing the concorde as i have returned back to work now. So to begin with yhe cockpit has now been finished, i was thinking of adding seatbelts to the seats but not aure if its worth it. So i will decide when its time to button the cockpit halves together.

IMG_20170111_213154_zpsddm66pm3_edit_148

I have also given the engine casings and exhausts 2 coats of humbrol 53 as i could not decide on the true colour.

IMG_20170111_214512_zpsczk3dtwq.jpg

I know that the true colour has been debated many times before. But i feel after a wash and a small amount of weathering they shouldnt look too far from the real ones. Also i have masked off the cockpit windows ready for the coat of white which must be done before fitting the visor.

IMG_20170111_213540_zpsf3tacvhw.jpg

However its not all perfect as i have hit a small issue. I have already trimmed down the instrument panel to allow the cockpit windows to fit but i still have gaps shown ringed in the picture below.

IMG_20170111_214950_edit_1484171410678_z

My plan is to fill the gap with glue and sand back any excess causing minimum damage possible to the cockpit windows.

Finally for the front the interior cabin has had its first coat of interior grey and just requires detailing and will then need all the small details added before fitting it into the fuselage.

IMG_20170111_214611_zpspzwqdtyb.jpg

Finally i have completely finished the undercarriage legs after a small amount of weathering and last minuite details. So firstly the front undercarriage leg

IMG_20170111_214102_zpsyzj8w7al.jpg

And now one of the main legs (was too awkward to photo both because of the light).

IMG_20170111_214313_zpsrlpogyio.jpg still loads to get done. My next job will be fitting all the front section together then onto the fuselage and hopefully get all the gaps and problems sorted. More soon thanks for looking in.

• Like 4

Cheers Ced im quite pleased with the engines but still thinking of weathering them slightly to reduce the tone a small bit.  As for other parts i think some minor detailing on access panels as well but nothing major as these were all kept clean during their time in the skies. Hopefully have some more progress soon.

• Like 1

Graham,

Just found my research shots from G-BOAA at East Fortune. Hope they help with the cabin details and engine colours.

DSC03170.jpg

DSC03163.jpg

DSC03131.jpg

DSC03128.jpg

DSC03126.jpg

Next shot down, note the panel in the door that folds back then down.

DSC03122.jpg

DSC03119.jpg

DSC03118.jpg

DSC03116.jpg

Engines!!

DSC03036.jpg

Some form of hot vent that is wedge shaped not cuboid as per the kit. It leaves lost of oddly coloured streaks...

DSC03035.jpg

Err...sort of charcoal grey-ish...

DSC03034.jpg

DSC03033.jpg

DSC03032.jpg

DSC03030.jpg

DSC03028.jpg

Let's hope this helps! Could have done with there myself but could I find them? :rolleyes:

• Like 3

You sir are a wonder of the concorde 😂😂😂 only i have realised now that i may have to go back and repaint the interior and engines and, well all of it really. Thankyou so much. I think i should have plenty to go by now. Once again thankyou so much.

Now unfortunately i havent been at the workbench much as since starting work i have been having a few health issues and has caused me to struggle getting anything done. So tonight i have managed to get a few small bits done which needed adressing. Starting with the cockpit windows.these have had their white panelling applied and will require a few minor touch ups but pleased so far.

IMG_20170116_225413_zpsb8gjfcmv.jpg

As you can see the dashboard is miles away from the window so i think a small modification is in order.

Not sure where the mark came from but will be hidden behind the visor so not too worried.

Also i have filled and filled some more, mainly on the wing roots as i had a gap running all the way so here is how she is sitting now looking like she has had some serious surgery.

IMG_20170116_225447_zpsgdfvmb54.jpg

Doing this it has ensured me that once all the sanding has been done there will be no sink marks or gaps anywhere there. As for the interior i have alot more work to do and thankyou to receiving more references i can already see alot more detail i can add.

Hopefully by tommorow i will be back on ball with getting this thing going and hopefully have here ready for painting by the end of the month.

Thanks for being patient.

• Like 3

Looking great! Getting deja-vu again... :P

Take your time, it's a hobby for fun and I can check in to see progress when you're ready, health comes first!

Just looking at the pictures again, I took them some years ago. I think only the first picture actually shows the front entrance lobby. The rest, I'm pretty sure are the rear entrance over the wing. I think on the front entrance the cabin crew fold up seat is on the left whereas it's on the right at the rear entrance as you walk in. Colours are the same though. I've got more pictures of the rest of the aircraft if you need them.

One thing I have looked at since I built the kit is the position of the nose wheel leg. I think it is a little too far back afterall, this is compared to the windows and the leading edge of the wing. My best guess is that it should come forward by approx '1 window space'. Had I known this at the start I'd have, err... left it exactly where is was because life's too short quite frankly!

• Like 1

Certainly agree in sure it wouldnt of been massive amounts of work to do and could still do mine providing the CA gives in. Many modellers did say they moved it forward around 12mm. But with all the work i got on at the minute i think that messing with the front wheel bay may just tip me off the edge.

Thanks for the pictures they are a great help and i know exactly how to go about it . Hopefully have another update tonight if i can find a couple of hours once the kids are in bed.

• Like 1

So only a quick hour tobight as i couldnt seem to focus on what was to be done. So mainly i have been working on the areas which needed filling and sanding. There are some areas which still need a little attention but i think im nearly done. Just the nose to fit and fill and sand.😣😣 will it ever end haha.

Now thanks to HP42 for the references i have been able to add more detail to the interior entrance beginning with the door and entrance. I started off by adding a strip of card to the inside and then cut the doorway out leaving a small trim around the doorway. Next will be to add detail to the side panels.

I have also began working on the door by cutting the top away and adding a shim to the top. Next will be to fill the back of the door and the support bars.

IMG_20170117_232338_zpsrymcel9f.jpg

Unfortunately i forgot to take more pictures but there isnt too much to show. Hopefully by the end of the week i should be nearly finished with the door and nearly finished with the interior, especially now i have great references to go by.

More soon folks.

• Like 2

Hi all well this week has had me up and down with feeling ill and the concorde hasnt moved. Im hoping to get back on with her once i feel fit. Im hoping this week i can i can find time to get the interior fitted together and get the front cockpit and nose sections fitted together and filled. Hopefully ill have more pictures to show soon as well. Still a long list of work to be done including the wheelbay details and flaps to be fitted as well as getting the whole thing painted. More soon chaps.

• Like 1

Well its been a week since i last poated and being ill and fighting work i managed to get some time where i was feeling fit enough and did some work. My main priority has been getting the interior compartment finished off so i could get the halves of the front closed up reay for filling and sanding. After a few hours of looking at the pictures HP42 supllied for me i set to work and eventually i have finised off with this.

IMG_20170128_144401_zpsdpg0jcek.jpg

I removed and refitted the door fixing into their more correct place and applied filler to the rear of the door and made the door linkages from wire. Next i worked on the interior, i think after a couple of hours i have made some good progress. I did find on one picture there was a phone so i made one from off cuts of styrene. 

Hopefully this evening i will have the cockpit fuselage halves together and the nose in place. Thanks for checking back in from this extensive break 😀😀

• Like 3

Well tonight i finally made some good progress. The interior of the entrance way was completed and the front fuselage sections were sealed together. After a gentle rub down and without the need for any powertools (Cedb), i had a good seal right down the front. 

IMG_20170129_003333_zpsez8z3aix.jpg

Finally to finish of this evening, i fitted the nose section and main fuselage sections together with CA glue and held it tight for a few minutes. And now she is all one piece which is a sigh of relief.

Now all that is left to do if to fill the 0.2mm gap which runs down one half of the fuselage join. So my next update will be the join filled and sanded and another step closer to painting the whole thing. Still need to plan the base and still got the flaps to sort out too 😀😀

Thanks for looking in

• Like 2

Cheers Cedb im just glad im feeling better. While i was feeling ill i took up the oppotunity to start something else just so i didnt lose my mojo for modelling. In the last picture you may of noticed the decal plans for the Airfix vampire, so ill just leave these here.

20170123_231156_zpsmczlxn1u.jpg20170123_231216_zpseqlvjtc0.jpg20170126_152500_zpskjyouwov.jpgIMG_20170129_003611_zpsdovtit3h.jpg

Still lots to do, buts its a time killer while im waiting for parts to dry etc. Vampire still needs wing tanks fitting and undercarriage doors finishing and plenty of decalling otherwise looking good. The concorde on the other hand now needs filler around the cockpit join and the nose and visor needs fitting too.

More soon chaps 😀😀

• Like 2

Hi all well its been a quiet few days but as many of you know ive been busy with the concorde but not alot to show for it. I have spent the last 3 days filling and sanding all the areas which still needed attention. Its been a long few nights but progress is still being made, and now drawing ever closer to getting the whole thing sprayed. I plan to lay down a base coat of white primer then the white over the top. Hopefully then i can fit the engines and intakes get all the decals on before a coat of varnish can be applied. More soon and hopefully some pictures too.

• Like 1

Good new chaps well after another 3 days i managed to get all the filler finally rubbed down and all the joins have been completely filled and sanded. It has been a long and arm aching job nut its finally done. Ill uploaf a pcture later. All that is left to do is mow is spray the white but with the british weather being as it is ill have to wait a short while till i can get outside to spray the huge thing.

Once sprayed i can then fit the engines and the engine air brakes and then fit the intakes. Hopefully she should be finished by march. My only other task then is to scratchbuild the stairs which i may do while im waiting for this rainy weather to clear.

Sorry for the delay in post everyone as ive been busy sanding away and not really taking photos.more soon folks 

• Like 1

I did also forget to mention i still need to sort the flaps. Below are some pictures of the areas which i have been working on. Hopefully have a progress update soon. But for now here here are some pictures to show progress is still on the go.

IMG_20170204_083913_zpsegbqlhwz.jpg

The front fuselage join.

IMG_20170204_083947_zpszelw6ats.jpg

Tail join on underside of fuselage.

IMG_20170204_084024_zpsgbcqond1.jpg

Nose bay and wing join.

As you can see ive been busy sanding. I still need to add detail to undercarriage bays so there is still lots to do prior to spraying so hopefully the weather should pick up by the time im ready for spraying.

• Like 2

Cheers CedB, hopefully when the primer goes on there should be nose sign of joins on any of the airframes.

Good news, i have found a solution to the elavons. The inner edge of the elavons are curved  my plan is to recreate the curved edge from milliput and sand it to the correct shape and thickness. This then should eliminate the gaps in the joins where the elavons meet the wing. They will be joined to the aircraft with the actuators on the underside and should be strong enough to hold them in place. I plan to fit these after paint so i can mask the bare metal on the curved edge. Hopefully this should solve the problem with the elavons 😁😁😁

• Like 1

So a nice bit of progress this afternoon while the kids where having a nap. To begin with i started work on the elavons. 

IMG_20170205_145838_zpsdvd0rn3h_edit_148

Once the milliput has dried i will then shape a curved edge making it look more like the real elavons.

Next i have been working on the nose and alot of progress has been acheived.

IMG_20170205_145734_zpsx52iuvhu.jpgthe visor underplate has been fitted and the main visor has been fitted into place as well as masked ready for painting. The tape and the wire are holding the two mating surfaces together while it dries. Getting nervous now hoping it all looks right.

IMG_20170205_150043_zpsbrc6mecl.jpg

You can see from the picture above the massive scale of the concorde in comparison to my vampire. Hopefully when the elavons have been completed i can begin laying down the white primer ready for the white.

Pleased with the work this afternoon and maybe have the elavons ready this evening provided the milliput has cured solid. The engines and engine intakes will be fitted after painting so all the areas will be painted making things easier.

More soon folks.

• Like 2