Revell concorde

Graham316

Hi everyone, now before i start i would like to say this is my first ever work in progress build which i will hopefully get advice from all you guys.

Now my aircraft in question is an aircraft which i had always dreamed of flying onboard but i guess the closest i can get is just the model. The legendery concorde. Now i know there have been many people say about how much of a pain this kit can be so its going to be a rollercoaster but with some luck this shoild be fun.

So without further delay here is the start of what is hopefully going to be an enjoyable and experiencing as i hope.

IMG_20161228_225655_zpsgrmlpt2c.jpg

The usual box art picture

20161228_225156_zpsattjudyh.jpg

The basic cockpit before paint and details.hopefully get some paint on and dome basic detailing done. 

Im hoping to have this displayed with the wheels down and also modify the flaps so they are in the rest position and who knows maybe a few more ideas along the way. Thankyou for looking in.

• Like 4

You're a brave man Graham!

I've recently completed mine and there's a long and painful WiP referenced from the RFI where most of my problems are detailed - I hope this helps.

Phil (HP42) is near the end of his and has included lots of nice PE and detail, WiP here.

Sheepie's finished his too and I found his WiP useful.

Finally Rene (Caerbannog) has made lots of corrections in his WiP so far.

It's a challenging kit and there are fit issues but the result is a lovely model. I'll be watching yours with interest.

Major tips? Buy filler and sanders! Also, Danny from Daco, who designed the decals, told us that they were designed from real Concordes and that they're much more accurate than the panels on the kit and suggested filling in the panels before priming. I'd do that if I built it again.

Let me know if you have any queries from my build and feel free to ask for help; the guys on BM are more than happy to chip in :) 

As above, it will be a challenge, but you're in good hands with Ced's advice. Posted there some reference links, which could be useful to look at by chance. Cheers and good luck.

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

Cheers guys im hoping to have a few bits detailed more like the undercarriage legs and wheel bays. I will also be scooting back to your build Cedb so i can borrow some of your referances and use your finished beuty as a target of how well i want mine to look.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Reconcilor said:

Remember  Air New Zealand operated a fleet of six of these on various trans-Tasman routes. Less than an hour from Auckland to Sydney. They looked great in The All-black World Cup colour scheme. 😋

Not sure if im going to go with that colour scheme i was pondering over doing a virgin atlantic one or even an american airlines one in the full metal finish 😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

Well another day has gone by and after the early morning starts at work and long days, there has been little time this evening to do any extensive work on concorde. But i have done a small amount of work but also gathered some reference photos to to keep the fire lit.

So to begin with i have built up the basic undercarriage legs shown below

IMG_20161229_214115_zps3kpqppga.jpg

Once a small amount of cleanup has been done(mainly ejector pin marks😐) and any joins tidied up and looking presentable. I will then be adding some details to the legs and also some minor weathering.

Screenshot_20161207-214934_zpsgvdklc5x.p

Here you can see various hydraulic pipes and other small details which to me looks like it would greatly improve the standard legs.

Screenshot_20161207-215002_zpsee4uxtvn.p

Here you can see the front leg which shows again more pipes and various cables. I will be looking for a few more pictures during my day tommorow but i feel these are a good start.

Screenshot_20161207-215019_zps0xbjptdj.p

Also as shown in the picture above there is also room for improvement. So i will be adding detail and not forgetting the rear bays also.Screenshot_20161207-215039_zps1tt0exf6.p

So this is what i am planning and also what i will be attempting to recreate. Hopefully my next update will be a little more productive and hopefully ill have something a littlw better to show. Thanks to everyone who joined along and commented😊😊

• Like 2

Hi everyone well it was going to be productive but the photos to follow mag show different😂😂.

Well today i managed to find some better close ups of the undercarriage legs to get a closer look at all the hydraulic lines etc that was on the real thing. Screenshot_20161230-201954_zpspn5ltzse.pso here is the real front leg which as you can see holds a fair amount of piping and wiring. Now before i shpw you the progress shot of what i have acheived over the last hour or so, bare in mind i am pushing beyond my skill as scratch building is something i very rarely do. So here is where i got to so far.

IMG_20161230_223737_edit_1483137473410_z

( i will be adding much more but this is all i could do before my spectacle aided eyes began to give in🤓🤓)

Now for the main undercarriage legs i have on made a very bare start on the details. Now again here is the real thing which i am hoping to get something close to.

Screenshot_20161230-202026_zpssuc8hgit.pand below is where i am. Also i will be detailing the bays as well so i qill be continuing on the detailing and hopefully make it look like the real thing or at least close to.

IMG_20161230_221042_zpsdstvqhyw.jpgpersonally for me after a couple of hours i think im doing okay. I must remember to get more CA glue as this polystyrene cement seems to take forever 😂.

Well hopefully tommorow i will have more progress done on the detailing of the legs and hopefully i may of even managed to do some of the bays as well.

Thanks

Graham

• Like 5

Well the past few day on the concorde have been a little slow as the mad rush of the new year has been taking up so much time so first on the cards was having to sort the tail out here is a picture of the two halves with the ill fitting tail wheel bay(which is wrong😕).

IMG_20170102_164348_zpsk5kq1ynj.jpg

So after having to cleann down several injector pin marks and several dryfits heres how it stands now. The coca cola can is in the picture to give an idea of the size of the tail section.IMG_20170102_165243_zpsldzb8jdg.jpg

And after fitting the tail peices together i couldnt resist but keep going so after approximately an hour i was left with this.IMG_20170102_172831_edit_1483378126254_z

Good job i have a rather large desk 😂.

Progress on the undercarriage legs are still on the go so a progress picture will be done later.

Finally i have painted the interior of the cockpit but its still needing some more detail painting, so when i have finiahed the painting and decalling ill post a picture up.

Thankyou for everyone who is following and commenting.

• Like 2

Well this afternoon i managed to get a couple of hours of peace while the kids were in bed having a nap so what better time to crack on with the concorde. So to begin with unaware of this being heard of previously.

IMG_20170103_144609_edit_1483454805777_zhere are the instructions showing the location of parts 112, now after spendimg so much time looking at the referances i came to the conclusion that revell have you fit these incorrectly.

Screenshot_20170102-180055_zpsyuykuh6k.j

As you can see the instructions have you fit the part on the outside of the undercarriage leg, whereas the real airfraft has these on the inside. So i have fitted these on the inside the same way as the picture which luckily matches up exactly with my detail that i have added ( more on the legs tonight).IMG_20170103_144858_zpsqblguqhi.jpg

In other news i have spent a about an hour cutting the entrance door from the front of the fuselage, luckily all fingers still present.

IMG_20170103_154440_zpsgqngbk5w.jpg

I know that HP had removed his door and scratch built the interior. I will be doing the same and using the screen shots i captured from a video i found on youtube.Screenshot_20170103-113234_zpstuq0luar_eScreenshot_20170103-113247_zpssiua8stk_e

Unfrotunately the cameraman wouldn't stop for a breif second so the photos are a litlle blurry but will be sufficiant for what i need. Also the door will receive details like i have found below.

Screenshot_20170103-113024_zpsaufefs3r_emain hinge

Screenshot_20170103-113038_zpschbarwy0.ptop support bars

Screenshot_20170103-094855_zpsijxaeedt.pand release catch which will be modified slightly and the decal will be modified before fitting.

Hopefully more this evening thanks for looking in.

• Like 1

Okay everyone i have had a small set back this evening as i decided to build up the main engine sections so they would be ready for paint, however as soon as i looked at a part i was greeted with a lovely view of this....

20170103_200744_zps4gkaulwu.jpgcracking... well not really.

It would appear that the moulding was so thin it just couldnt handle packaging and shipping then the delivery. So more work needed on those dreaded engines.

In other news the legs have had their final details added and are awaiting a lick of the hairy stick(behave😂😂😂) and will then be ready.

Now what do these pictures all have in common....Screenshot_20170103-211938_zps59evcvjs_eScreenshot_20170103-211854_zpsgchqligb_eScreenshot_20170103-211953_zpsfqffefbt_e

If your answer was elavons. Treat yourself to a sweetie from tin, yes i have been looking at these and i have come to yhe conclusion i am going to have a test and see what i can mask up..

Well that was quick, i took a knife and a few parts and after a few deep breaths and a few more sweets i had gone past the point of no return and ended up with somethibg like this.20170103_214900_zpsovynacfs.jpg

Stupid boy i know but i wanted to do something differant and this was it here is a shot of the angle which after looking at the pictures i feel is right please say if you disagree.20170103_214854_zpsvn5pxgkh.jpg

So 2 down 4 to go, im not sure if i may of bitten off more than i xan chew now as the list of jobs to do which are as long as my arm is now getting longer by the day. Im hoping i can pull this off now.  So this is all for tonight so i will leave it in the same way it resides on my desk for the evening. Good night everyone.IMG_20170103_220825_zpsis0medcm.jpg

P.S  it all dry fitted no glue used 😉😉

• Like 4

Cheers mate the ones look okay so far but i feel this is going to cause me some problems later on hoping to make some progress today. Oh the joys of having a week off work. I ewill keep updating to show how it all goes 

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay in updates everyone as i have been busy with the family and finding only an hour here and there to sneak to the desk to do some fettling and fiddling before being dragged away again.

Good news. The tail is now superglued to the main body and the elavons are half way through surgery. With one side lowered and the other side to go, hopefully as well as the first set. Also the main cockpit windows have been masked ready for their coat of white which will be done with the rest of the aircraft before the nose is finally fittted (long way to go yet!).

Also the engines have been getting some bench time. And with one half complete i had chance yo snap a quick picture before the phone died.IMG_20170105_201741_zpsjjelm4fd.jpgas you can see the front half which is to be in white will be fitted after paint to save masking etc. So all good news so far.

However...

This evening i have been playing with the nose and the lowering mechanism. After an hour of gingerly removing parts and fettling them together i hit a snag. It seems the nose and the visor will lower with ease (which was a sigh of releive and a large smile). But when i go to raise the nose back up the whole mechanism seems to jam and wont return to raise position. I have found that the linkages go too far forward past the pivoting point causing the linkages to lock up. No matter how much fiddling i do it still locks up u can see that the nose is going to defeat me and will be fixed in the raised position.

Hopefully in my next update ill have more pictures to show you of my progress and also some more information on more parts i have modified and fitted. Hopefully i can conquer the nose issue and make the nose work. Take care everyone.

• Like 2

Just fix the nose mate. 'Working' parts are usually just a pain (imho) and increase the chance of damage once the model is complete. Simple is good!😎 Everyone knows this kit is difficult so you won't lose any kudos over that decision 

• Like 1

So after much thinking and thought i have decided to put the nose to one side as all of the nose section is only dry fitted. I have notixed that the inside of the nose is too visable so i will be needing to make a dashboard to hide all the internals. I think tonight i will have one more hour to get it to work and if it doesnt work ill fix the nose cone in the up position and leave it there. Lets dace it once its on display no one will touch it so i think its going to be better to fix it in one position.

Now with the tail and the main fuselage together i need to sort out the gap between the sections and also get the main wings built up. Only then ill be left with the front sections for the airframe and to detail the undercarriage bays and finish the engines and she wont be too far off ( also got to scratchbuild the interior as well 😣) i will update later this evening when i have some more progress to show. Cheers to everyone who has commented and followed along so far.

• Like 1

Greetings everyone and sorry for the recent silence on the build. Now ill start with the negative stuff first and then onto some good news and some pictures. Well firstly the nose is a no go i have spent almost 2 and a half hours fiddling and messing, and still no joy. As mentioned by Reconciler its a pain. So she is going to have a fixed nose and will remain that way as most people agree, it is the true stance of concorde with the nose in the raised position.

Now onto some good news now my last updated picture of concorde showed a limited picture of the elavons in the lowered position, well......Screenshot_20170103-211938_zps59evcvjs_ethis is what im aiming for in terms of positioning and looks. And after an evening of cutting sanding and more cutting......IMG_20170108_005446_zpslqntorpa.jpgthe elavons have only been temperary fitted with tape to ensure fitment and angles are correct.IMG_20170108_005007_zpsyfpzboes.jpgcentre of the tail shows they all fit level and evenly.

And one more just because im so pleased with them...IMG_20170108_004922_zps0x6wj2jy.jpgalso as you may of seen i have permenantly fitted the tail and also the wings so now all remains is the nose which will be fitted once i have scratchbuilt the interior. IMG_20170108_005129_zpsbi4ix2xn.jpghere you can see how i have applied filler all the way and extra at the top to fix the ill fitting tail where the parts fit to the main aircraft. For anyone also building one, watch out for it 😂😂. 

So as i said i wanted some more productivity to show you all and i think tonight has been mission accomplished. Im hoping to have the engines half way tommorow evening and maybe before the end of the month whe may even have a coat of white on her.

Thanks for tuning in all the best.

Graham

Edited by Graham316
Spelling error
  • Like 1

Wasnt without issues Ced. Im pleased with what i have managed in the couple of hours i get per evening when everyone goes to bed. My only issue i have one wing has closed up all the way to the fuselage and the other has a 1mm gap all the way so still got a 101 jobs to do before i get anywherr near painting and decaling 😂😂

• Like 1

Awesome work sheepie. Just got to hope and prey mine loks as stunning as yours.how did you do the elavins as i seem to have a gap at the moment which i think i might try and sort before i spray the white on. Do you have any more pictures of your finished concorde??