Studio Series Compressor

Shar2

Studio Series Compressor

Iwata via Airbrushes.com

boxart.jpg

This is a development of the previous Studio compressor, but is smaller, lighter with a relocated outlet and a new style of filter/regulator. The compressor arrives in a fairly small box, with only a poly bag to protect the contents. Included is a two metre plastic hose with a female 3/8" fitting at either end, and a three-pin plug that is already attached to the integral power cord. The compressor is enclosed in a painted metal housing which is open at both ends, with a simple on/off switch on the top, pressure adjustment knob and air outlet, complete with moisture trap on the front, along with a pressure gauge and airbrush holder. The unit also comes with a number of adaptors for use with Badger, Paasche and Aztek airbrushes and a spare airbrush holder. A carry-handle is bolted to the top of the unit. The whole unit measures 25.7cm x 24.1cm x 14m. It weighs in at 5.6kg (12.4lbs in old measures). The compressor operates between 1 and 35psi from the 1.8hp low maintenance oil-free piston motor with the pressure being shown on the clearly marked gauge and controlled by the large knob next to the gauge.

comp.jpg

comp2.jpg

Whilst the unit could perhaps been more useful with the addition of a pressure tank, the quietness and full pressure on demand feature means that it’s not such a worry, although you can buy separate tanks should you wish. I’ve been using this compressor for a month or two now and haven’t had any problems with pulsing as can be found on other compressors without tanks and the quietness means that sometimes the only way of knowing whether it’s working or not is by operating the airbrush. It is so much quieter than my old Iwata compressor, which had the air tank built into the handles, that I’ve consigned it to the garage as my spare, as this is now my compressor of choice.

comp3.jpg

comp4.jpg

Conclusion

This is a superb compressor, being easy to use, but with a lot of features that others don’t come with. The moisture trap and pressure gauge being particularly welcome. But it’s the quietness during operation that really is noticeable, being able to hold a conversation on the phone or on Skype whilst using the airbrush is a great improvement over my old model. The only thing I would like to have seen is the replacement of the plastic hose with a nice braided one instead, as the plastic one really didn't like being unwound.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of
logo.jpg

• Like 1