Painting cheat lines

neillbill

Having given up on trying to decal the 144 Roden BOAC Britannia, I'm now looking to do the cheat line and fin by paint and finding enough decals to do the BOAC titles and serials. Anyone please offer me some advice on doing the wrap around bits at the front? I'm not a good freehand painter, I can mask the straight bits ok but need help with doing  the curves at the front.

Thanks

Bill

Tamiya makes a special masking tape just for this sort of job. Oddly they call it Tape for Curves.

Or you could try outlining the area in thin decal strips and then painting over them and filling the area

Or cutting the shape out of solid decal colour sheet. Use tape on the area, draw the shape, peel off, cut out and copy onto the decal sheet.

You need some thin, flexible masking tape to outline the "wrap around bits." Tamiya makes some in 2 mm, 3 mm, and 5 mm widths, and a Japanese company, Aizu, makes some even skinnier. If you can lay your hands on some Chartpak graphic arts tape, that'll work as well.

Make a photocopy of the kit decal sheet (or scan it) and carefully trim around the curved areas on the copy. Temporarily attach the copy to the model with removable tape. Then use it as a template for laying out the edges of the curves with your skinny tape.

Edited by Space Ranger
Additional clarification.

Hi Bill, If its any help to you I have an unused set of boac decals for the roden britannia which I would be more than happy to post to you free of charge if you would like to send me a pm with your details.                                                                                    cheers Michael.

HI bill,I am building mine in monarch airlines livery using the 26 decal sheet but i am not yet ready to apply decals so fingers crossed.                                                                                                                                                                                                  Cheers  Michael.

On 12/28/2016 at 1:33 PM, billneill said:

OK thanks I ordered some Tamiya bendy tape. I got some BOAC Stratocruiser decals which give me a good match for the BOAC titles and the speedbird and union jack for the fin. May end up with the wrong serial but whos gonna notice..

Bill

I've used the Tamiya thin white bendy tape a few times and have been happy enough with it. I'm airbrush only, which means I just use the thin curve stuff for the actual paint border. Then there are other (cheaper) types of tape to prevent overspray. 

• 4 weeks later...

Automotive painters use a plastic, flexible masking tape which I bought a while back from a local paint supplier. Cost less than the Tamiya stuff, easily found and was on a bigger roll!