Airfix 1:48 Hawker Hurricane Mk.I

Davek72

I know I received this for an Christmas present last year but I can't for the life of me remember when I started building this and why I stopped.  Anyway when I was going through the stash recently I rediscovered this:

http://87D23440-7C02-45B0-84D0-641EC34055E6_zps

http://AB1F10A1-E8BF-4A61-955E-77ED5552C86B_zps

http://EEE5B58C-9D9E-4C31-B4F3-BC5A8344C07B_zps

http://2FA45B04-263B-454B-AD6E-C441637F3176_zps

I have come away for New Year and negotiated some car space and time to try and move this on.  The first session was this afternoon which I will post in a short while.

All comments very welcome.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Davek72

2 hours ago, Blitz23 said:

I recently finished one of these, fun build of a great aircraft.

Cheer Blitz am enjoying moving this one forward. Concerned I may have just discovered a fit issue (my fault I am sure) just now but will wait till tomorrow to decide.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davek72 said:

Cheer Blitz am enjoying moving this one forward. Concerned I may have just discovered a fit issue (my fault I am sure) just now but will wait till tomorrow to decide.

Yeah that's the one negative I found, was that the cockpit is a tight fit.

15 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Good start.  It is a good model.  I built two in 2015, and they came out ok.  The kits fit well and reward a careful build.  Good luck with you build..

Cheers Gary.

Dave - like many of the others, I started this also in 2016.  However, I only got as far as you NOW have, with the wings on (I opened only one of the two gun ports).  Since then, I got diverted onto other things...and I don't have time to finish it at the moment, so I will be watching the rest of your build with some interest.

Yes, the cockpit is a tight fit - I had to scrape away the paint from all connecting surfaces, and just used Tamiya extra thin, very sparingly, and it worked......

Good luck with the build.

Philip

On 03/01/2017 at 4:03 PM, Prenton said:

Dave - like many of the others, I started this also in 2016.  However, I only got as far as you NOW have, with the wings on (I opened only one of the two gun ports).  Since then, I got diverted onto other things...and I don't have time to finish it at the moment, so I will be watching the rest of your build with some interest.

Yes, the cockpit is a tight fit - I had to scrape away the paint from all connecting surfaces, and just used Tamiya extra thin, very sparingly, and it worked......

Good luck with the build.

Philip

Cheers Philip

It has been a pain at times but we are getting there. 

Thank you for your advice and support.  

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

OK confession time.  I think I have made a mistake...which is leading me to the conclusion that this one is going in the bin.  

Everything came together nicely over New Year but I haven't had a chance to do anything more until this weekend.  At this point I did a little bit of painting only to notice that the wings and horizontal stabiliser on the tail are  at at odd angles to each other.  See below.

04914080-13E0-4FDE-9AA1-B63708CF68AF_zps

My first thought was the obvious one of you stupid idiot you didn't alight everything when you stuck them on.  But I am sure I did.

Oddly the wings appear at the right angles to the fuselage and the horizontal stabilisers appear at the right angles to the tail. 

Close inspection suggests that the tail is not at the right angle to the front half of the fuselage which to my mind suggests  a warp in the fuselage which I assume came about because of how I put it together.  All thoughts welcome.

Yours slightly annoyed.

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Dave

I'm really sorry to see what has happened. I have come across this a couple of times before.

I bought an Airfix Stirling and the front of the fuselage was badly deformed still in its plastic bag so badly manufactured. The other was a heller Arado 196 amongst a job lot I bought off evilBay.  These had been kept in an airing cupboard and the heat had distorted the parts. Where was the Hurricane stored ?

The potential fix might be to try warming with a hairdryer or heat gun and apply a gentle twist in the opposite direction.

Given all the work you have done it would be gutting to scrap it at this stage.

kind regards Pat

Hi Pat

Thanks for the post.

The kit was stored in my home office and I don't think would have overheated but it s a good thought.  I will try there hairdryer approach but at this moment I am pushing it off to the side of the workbench grrrrr

Cheers Dave