HELP - I want to "try before I buy" airbrush equipment

BIG X

Howdy Folks,

After a break of 30 years I have recently returned to this fantastic hobby.  My main interest is aircraft by the way.  I have been having loads of fun with “hairy sticks” – but it is plain to see from the fabulous work on here that airbrushing is the way to go.  I have recently been having more fun with good old fashioned “rattle cans” – but I am mesmerized with the realistic looks from pre-shading & the misted dirt from exhausts & gun ports – something I can’t do with a brush or can,

I have been in sales for most of my working life & the term “I’m already sold” springs to mind – I have the cash simply burning a hole in my pocket – but I really don’t want to make an expensive mistake.

I can see that there are loads of “on-line” suppliers & they all seem incredibly reputable – I am sure if they weren’t then they wouldn’t be on the forum.

My stumbling block is – I really want to “try before I buy” & get advice “face to face”.  I have asked my local model shops – but they don’t offer airbrushes & can’t think of anywhere I could buy all the kit – apart from on the internet.

So – my question is “does anyone know anywhere in the frozen north where I can”…

• Have a chat with someone who has a few airbrush options
  • Try my hand at a bit of spraying - only bit - just to be sure

• Purchase a brush(es) / a compressor / spray booth / all the cleaning “stuff” / paints / thinners

I am based near Manchester & willing to travel at least 100 miles in any direction to find the right advice & supplier.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Yes we have airbrushes and compressors to try at shows and here.  

We are about 150 miles (3 hours drive) away between Milton Keynes and Northampton, so probably a little to far to travel.

We should be at the Huddersfield model show on the 12th February   ( http://www.huddersfieldscalemodelshow.co.uk/ )

So if you can wait a few weeks, that would probably be the best place to try them, but you can give me a call or send a PM and we can work out a few options and I can give you an idea of the cost.   

Paul

Edited by little-cars
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, little-cars said:

Yes we have airbrushes and compressors to try at shows and here.  

We are about 150 miles (3 hours drive) away between Milton Keynes and Northampton, so probably a little to far to travel.

We should be at the Huddersfield model show on the 12th February   ( http://www.huddersfieldscalemodelshow.co.uk/ )

So if you can wait a few weeks, that would probably be the best place to try them, but you can give me a call or send a PM and we can work out a few options and I can give you an idea of the cost.   

Paul

Hi Paul,

Not too far at all as it happens.  I have always lived in Saddleworth - but worked in Northampton for over ten years - so I know the trip well.  I know you guys get really busy at shows - so a "private viewing" would work well for me.  Let's get the Christmas holidays out of the way & I could come down in the New Year.  Please PM me to let me know when you are "back at work" - along with an email address / tel no / physical address & we can work something out.  This cash is starting to burn my thigh :lol: but sincerely - thanks for the offer - I was starting to think I would just have to gamble on the web - but I can be a very loyal customer - to me customer service is everything.

Thanks - Steve

• Like 1