RR Silver Ghost A/Car.

I built this a couple of years ago for a magazine article to mark the centenary of the outbreak of WW1. It's the Roden kit of the 1914 Pattern a/c. Not bad, but as I was constrained by time, I had to build it virtually OOTB, and if I was to do it again, I would change a few items, namely the poorly moulded Vickers gun and the headlights and searchlight. Roden do supply etched brass for the wheel spokes so that problem is taken away.

I finished it using Tamiya acrylics and I tried to match it to the box art. An article that I'd read on these a/c's said that they were painted in "Service Green" or "Daimler Olive Green" which apparently is a bit darker then the tone that I have used, but with fading, who knows? One thing that was pointed out to me was that the two small roundels on the bonnet shouldn't be there and that there should be a large roundel on the turret roof.

3363728a-fcd2-4555-882c-27c4cc492b56.JPG

fb7044c0-f288-4ea2-b621-cc0b061ec091.JPG

cba2f75a-b676-4935-a2a7-8455c940e8a2.JPG

dfbd5279-97eb-45cc-bb72-1fb3ed5b309d.JPG

ac9c7318-7be1-4b44-b3f7-0e0f8ef2ae16.JPG   9e3c056c-e98c-4b96-8a9f-86cb08d533fd.JPG

b0dc8033-d4e2-4c17-80f6-c8cab3b7cfdb.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Regards,

John.

• Like 18

Very nice.

Roundels were only worn by the RAF Armoured Car Companies, which I'm presuming you're modelling, 'cos you've got a chuffing big searchlight on the turret. Most, but not all, had a big roundel on the roof and only wore the smaller roundels later (on the vertical surface).

As for the green, there are some personal recollections on t'internet that indicates that was very much up to the individual squadron commanders, some units even used a pale stone, so I reckon you're good for the colour. I have to say I don't think RAF ones were ever in Deep Bronze Green (the army colour), or any shade of olive. Service Green was a sort of Khaki brownish-green (slightly more green than the later Khaki-Green No3 of WW2) so that may be the colour described as 'khaki' in some of the memories.

38 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Wicked - love it - especially the tyres :speak_cool:

Thanks for that. I did the tyres like that as at that time, a lot of vehicles (and aircraft) had tyres that were in the natural colour of rubber. It was only later that carbon black was added to the process.

John.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

A nice vehicle, soooo retro...:goodjob:, cheers and HNY for you and yours :santa:

Thanks Francis, and  HNY to you and yours aussi.

John.

20 minutes ago, Brailledave said:

Very nice.

Roundels were only worn by the RAF Armoured Car Companies, which I'm presuming you're modelling, 'cos you've got a chuffing big searchlight on the turret. Most, but not all, had a big roundel on the roof and only wore the smaller roundels later (on the vertical surface).

As for the green, there are some personal recollections on t'internet that indicates that was very much up to the individual squadron commanders, some units even used a pale stone, so I reckon you're good for the colour. I have to say I don't think RAF ones were ever in Deep Bronze Green (the army colour), or any shade of olive. Service Green was a sort of Khaki brownish-green (slightly more green than the later Khaki-Green No3 of WW2) so that may be the colour described as 'khaki' in some of the memories.

Thanks. Yes, it's supposed to be a M.East based a/c. Most of my mistakes were pointed out to me by Mike Starmer, so I bow to his superior knowledge. Thanks for the info on the colours though.

John.

23 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

A nice vehicle, soooo retro...:goodjob:, cheers and HNY for you and yours :santa:

18 minutes ago, kwality8 said:

That's pretty badass!

Good work...

Thanks very much. Appreciated.

John.

17 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Very nice indeed. Did one myself a few years ago, got the Black Dog resin stowage set for it.

Pete

11 hours ago, Stesca said:

Love this, very nicely finished, first one I have seen that looks just nicely used and not a rust bucket, well done.

7 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Stunning model with restrained weathering that looks realistic to my eye. 

Thanks for the kind words. It's not a bad kit for a short run injection kit, although the Vickers and the headlights/searchlight are pretty poor. Oh, and the decals tended to break up.

John.

Well it has the right name anyway,.......SUPERB,.......wouldn`t this have been used by one of the RNAS Armoured Car Units during WW1?

Cheers

Tony

3 hours ago, tonyot said:

Well it has the right name anyway,.......SUPERB,.......wouldn`t this have been used by one of the RNAS Armoured Car Units during WW1?

Cheers

Tony

Thanks for that.

Not sure who this belonged to as I can't find the kit's instruction sheet. I don't think it was very specific though, just saying that it was in the Middle East in 1918. I do know that all three services operated these a/c's and that the RAF took over the army's vehicles, but I think that was in the 20's.

John. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sonofjim said:

Well it's a stunner, I love the tyre colour it gives it a very different look . It's also aptly named " Superb" is the job you did on it .

Thanks. It was the tyres that attracted me to it in the first place.

John.

Brilliant, Just finished my build but not weathered it yet so cant call it finished. And I think your right about the roundels on the bonnet, I always google my builds before I build and most information is as you say. Really good paint and slight weathering done.

• Like 1