Mosquito Colour confusion, Please Help

Mancunian airman

It is my intention to build a NF MKII Mosquito aircraft to represent one lost in May 1943.

Utilising the Tamiya kit, the colour scheme suggested is overall Matt Black but I understand that was dis-continued early operations.

Wings Pallette suggests the usual Medium Sea Grey, Ocean grey and Dark green . . . 

I believe the 1/32nd or  the 1/24th  kit has a Black bottom with usual grey/green top camouflage.

I am leaning towards the WP scheme but is this even right ??

I have as reference 'Mosquito at War' by Chaz Bowyer which really doesnt help regards colour schemes

Any help/pointers would be appreciated.

Ian

My inclination would be to go for MSG with DG disruptive pattern, this was the standard scheme for night fighters from mid war onwards and applied to Beaufighters too.

I've no recollection of OG being used on night fighters, fighter-bombers and bombers yes.

Edited by Wez

A link is always useful!  DZ712 coded DZ.

I'd go with the standard night fighter scheme of overall MSG with DG camouflage, I see no OG on that profile which is correct for a night fighter.

151 was a normal night-fighter squadron over the winter of 1942/43, but began night intruder missions in February 1943 which intensified after moving to Colerne in April, including some daytime Rangers.  Flying in daytime would tend to imply that they didn't have the Night undersides.

• Like 1

On 29/12/2016 at 9:39 AM, Graham Boak said:

151 was a normal night-fighter squadron over the winter of 1942/43, but began night intruder missions in February 1943 which intensified after moving to Colerne in April, including some daytime Rangers.  Flying in daytime would tend to imply that they didn't have the Night undersides.

Many thanks for that Graham, can you give me your interpretation of the Wings Pallette profile, I can only see TWO colours ?

On 29/12/2016 at 9:28 AM, Wez said:

A link is always useful!  DZ712 coded DZ.

I'd go with the standard night fighter scheme of overall MSG with DG camouflage, I see no OG on that profile which is correct for a night fighter.

5 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

I suggest that the Wings Palette profile has been done to represent the official night fighter scheme of Medium Sea Grey overall with Dark Green disruptive pattern on the upper and side surfaces.

Thats clarified that then.

many thanks, I can now build with confidence knowing that I will have the colour scheme right !

Ian

I can see how my last comment could be taken the wrong way but as I said in my original post, MSG with DG, NO OG used on night fighters.

• 9 months later...

Another colour issue but this time the PR Blue.

I have always thought of it as a bright Blue but the colour suggested is Humbrol 230. I consider to be to  Blue/grey but please bear in mind, I have never actual seen the official blue but based my thoughts on the Blue on the Canberra Prototype which I was lead to believe was PR Blue . . .. ??

Any pointers would be appreciated

Thanks

Ian

The Canberra prototype was not PRU Blue, which was indeed a blue grey.  Hopefully Canberrakid will be along to tell us the true colour of the prototype, but I believe it was called Cerulean Blue.  Which simply means sky blue, so that covers a multitude of sins.

Quite right. PRU Blue is far from bright.  Incidentally, be careful when looking at pics off the web, not all restored PR Spitfires are the right colour. Peter Teichmann's PL965 is a good colour, and abundant photography comes up on Google pics, including this small one which rather proves the point of how it works

spitfire2.jpg.

I think I'm right in saying that there was a period when BBMF Spitfire PR.XIX PS853 was in Land Rover Marine Blue, which isn't quite the same.

To my eye - subjective of course - Humbrol 230 is possibly a bit too saturated, and if I were using it I would cut it with a bit of Medium Sea Grey or similar.

A couple of good barnies  about PRU Blue a couple of years ago here, some of the swatch photos may help

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1