1/48 - de Havilland DH.110 Sea Vixen FAW.2 by Trumpeter - released

Homebee

Ho all!! I just might be able to help a little here...the Sea Vixen FAW 2 s/n XN647 i painted as a box art..is one of a few FAW 1 airframes converted to Faw 2 standards!! These were used with 766 squadron at Naval Air Fighter School, Yeovilton for training service!! They never operated from carriers according to a lot of information!! The only prominant difference these aircraf had form the normal FAW 2's were the radio operators canopy...it had remained the solid type as it was used in their pastlife of FAW 1 configuration!! I infomed Trumpeter Models about all these...i think they only use the glass canopy in the kit..that's what they told me anyway...Now...as for the rest 2 options given in the Markings, i have no info cos i was not aware of them.. and i did not need them anyway cos i only had to paint the XN 647 Vixen...

https://www.google.gr/search?q=sea+vixen+766+squadron&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwis-eexxJLZAhUNCewKHfLbDx8Q_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=974#imgrc=6JOeN1qKtpibtM:

6 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Absolutely.    Just don't understand why Trumpeter didn't just buy the Crowood or Warpaint titles before embarking on their kit design!  Having said that not all Trumpeter's 1/72 kits are bad.  The Wyvern and Gannet look pretty nice in the box (not built them yet) and the Sea Hawk is a nice kit.   The Cyberhobby kit is, apparently, well off and pretty darned expensive to boot.  The Special Hobby/Xtrakit has some shape errors and is a bit of a tricky build (and no payload - annoyingly).   What I really want is for Airfix to scale down their Vixen.  

The Wyvern was a joint project with Japanese company Monochrome.

6 hours ago, Graham T said:

WHAT????? 

About $75 after subtracting VAT but without shipping. PASS (at least until I can find it on sale somewhere with at least 25% off). You can find the Airfix kit on ebay for less than that.

51 minutes ago, planeart said:

Ho all!! I just might be able to help a little here...the Sea Vixen FAW 2 s/n XN647 i painted as a box art..is one of a few FAW 1 airframes converted to Faw 2 standards!! These were used with 766 squadron at Naval Air Fighter School, Yeovilton for training service!! They never operated from carriers according to a lot of information!! The only prominant difference these aircraf had form the normal FAW 2's were the radio operators canopy...it had remained the solid type as it was used in their pastlife of FAW 1 configuration!! I infomed Trumpeter Models about all these...i think they only use the glass canopy in the kit..that's what they told me anyway...Now...as for the rest 2 options given in the Markings, i have no info cos i was not aware of them.. and i did not need them anyway cos i only had to paint the XN 647 Vixen...

https://www.google.gr/search?q=sea+vixen+766+squadron&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwis-eexxJLZAhUNCewKHfLbDx8Q_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=974#imgrc=6JOeN1qKtpibtM:

Nothing wrong with your box art painting. It's the colour and marking guide that's bolloxed up with the wrong serial number and the wrong colour for the underside and the large serial number decals. They just don't care!

On 06/02/2018 at 08:52, Sebastien said:

XN654 was eventually converted to FAW.2 standard, though...

The Sea Vixen Bible from Tony Butller published by Air Britain say a.o. about XN654

21.07.65 to HSA Chester for conversion to FAW.2

14.09.66 first flight as such 

XN654.jpg

XN654_2.jpg

Source:

51xh5BxL18L._SX366_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

8 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

The Wyvern was a joint project with Japanese company Monochrome.

It was just a shameles (good)  copy in plastic from the CMR resin kit ! so it couldn't be bad.

Madcop

10 hours ago, planeart said:

67 FAW.1s (in the XJ & XN serial range) were converted to FAW.2s, as opposed to only 29 new build FAW.2s.

Many of the converted FAW.1s did get the bulged frangible observers canopy and did see carrier squadron service as Mk2s.

The kit is a weird one.

The plastic actually looks good to me, and obviously pretty well researched.  It looks like the decals and the painting guide was done by a company without any Sea Vixen knowledge or the ability to research what so ever though!

I really don't get how resources are cited as being restrictive, they only have to look here on Britmodeller!

It looks to me that an FAW.1 could be relatively easy to produce from this kit, notice the booms don't inpeede on the wing design, unlike on the Airfix kit.

I was prepared top buy one or two of these, but not at the prices shown.

Edited by 71chally

I built the Westland Whirlwind from Trumpeter, a couple of years ago, I wanted to recreate my Airfix series 1 experience from the '60's - the "transfers" were rubbish, but the spares box took care of that, and, hey, I have a Whirlwind.....(if only they put Merlins in that plane!). I also have built the Airfix Sea Vixen, and love what Airfix have been doing lately, I have most of the later Airfix stuff. The Trumpeter Sea Hawk was good, IMO, as was the Wyvern. I wouldn't discount Trumpeters efforts, and certainly not Airfix's, it is a buyers market out there, and we are the beneficiaries .

21 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Nothing wrong with your box art painting. It's the colour and marking guide that's bolloxed up with the wrong serial number and the wrong colour for the underside and the large serial number decals. They just don't care!

I see your point!! Thanks anyway!! I always try the best possible search any time i create a box art cos i know it aims for people who most of them are very well educated in their aspects!! Unfortunatelly some times at Trumpeter models create Model kits with a rush and surely mistakes are present!!! Have a nice day!!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 71chally said:

67 FAW.1s (in the XJ & XN serial range) were converted to FAW.2s, as opposed to only 29 new build FAW.2s.

Many of the converted FAW.1s did get the bulged frangible observers canopy and did see carrier squadron service as Mk2s.

The kit is a weird one.

The plastic actually looks good to me, and obviously pretty well researched.  It looks like the decals and the painting guide was done by a company without any Sea Vixen knowledge or the ability to research what so ever though!

I really don't get how resources are cited as being restrictive, they only have to look here on Britmodeller!

It looks to me that an FAW.1 could be relatively easy to produce from this kit, notice the booms don't inpeede on the wing design, unlike on the Airfix kit.

I was prepared top buy one or two of these, but not at the prices shown.

I respect your views and your will...fair enough!! The XN647 airframe never used a ''glass'' radar operator hatch and never operated form Carriers plus almost all the Sea Vixens in 766th squadron at the particular time!!

• 1 month later...

That looks like it is tooled in such away that an FAW.1 could be produced, especially the way that the cockpit top is separate.

I like the look of the parts, but there are lines and rivets there that don't show on the original aircraft.  - unusually for a British type!

• Like 1

Well on Ebay the Airfix kit is between £45 - £79 for the 'buy now' ones.

I wonder if Airfix will re-release it again, hope as I only picked up 2 x last time! :speak_cool:

A FAW.1 option would be a novel option and probably one that should have been made available first IMO. Looking at the paint guide and decals, what’s with the silver undersides and white underwing serials? It also appears that no parts are provided to display the wings folded, even though they have been split along the natural wing fold joint. 

I’d probably consider a FAW.1, however I think the Airfix kit is still way in front if wanting to model a FAW.2 version. 

Cheers.. Dave

1 hour ago, F-32 said:

Well on Ebay the Airfix kit is between £45 - £79 for the 'buy now' ones.

I wonder if Airfix will re-release it again, hope as I only picked up 2 x last time! :speak_cool:

£45 is about the limit for what I will pay for it. Got one last year for about £40. As a rule, I stick to "buy it now" or "best offer" options on ebay. Auctioned items invariably go for a lot more than I can afford. It IS fun though watching the frantic bidding in the last few minutes!!

Allan

Airfix Vixens are still out there... I picked one up in a hobby shop (not local) after Christmas for its sticker price of Au$79.99. Ever seen vultures on a carcass? That was me when I saw it on the shelf...

Looking at the sprue shots on Hobby Search, I don't see any NACA ducts on the booms...er, I mean "ailerons." It's also not apparent if the pinion tank stands a bit proud of the boom, or if its edge is just represented by a panel line.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

On 06/02/2018 at 9:34 AM, Sebastien said:

Holy expletive.

I think I'll pass too.

S.

And me! 😁😁

Thing is, with the Airfix kit long out of production,  quite difficult to get and often going for stupid second hand prices (£85 in one instance) then I can see this kit selling even at an only slightly less stupid price of £63!! There is after all very little else to choose from IF you really must have a Sea Vixen

I am aware the Airfix kit can be obtained occasionally on eBay etc for something approaching a more sensible price (I got one for £40 about a year ago) but, it has been my experience that these are the exception. 

Yes, it would be be nice if Airfix would reissue their kit (and the Javelin!) but, that does not seem to be forthcoming, at least for now

Allan 

• 2 weeks later...

As my stash diminishes and I feel the need to build something FAA I will be going to Airfix first.  If no joy then one of these.

As I plan to only have 1 Sea Vixen in my display cabinet then if there are minor inaccuracies then I'll cope.

If I was planning on putting the Trumpeter version next to an Airfix then I'd pass.