1/48 - de Havilland DH.110 Sea Vixen FAW.2 by Trumpeter - released

Homebee

On 28/12/2016 at 3:46 AM, SeaVenom said:

It makes you wonder if it's because they've got er...........easy access to something accurate (if you know what I mean).  

I’m actually surprised Chinese companies don’t model their kits on other manufacturers, after they made a ‘BMW X5’ that was so close BMW were going to sue - apart from the minor problem the legal process would take place in China and every western firm that tried to take legal action there lost. It would give them market share in their home market with little to no work.....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Neil Lambess said:

The short nose on the Frog kit is a bit of a myth .Frogs canopy rail is too deep making the nose look stubby . Correcting the rail makes it look much better Imho

12 hours ago, Neil Lambess said:

...and (can opener in hand ) the Airfix nose is not perfect either ....on the real airframe at the point where the radome attaches  Airfix have a perfectly round fuselage cross secton .in reality the cross section is flat at the top ! (More like the cyber hobby kit . Just look for head on  photos of the Vixen with the radome open and you'll spot it )

The Frog kit is about 4mm too short in the nose.   That has been measured from photos and drawings.  The canopy rail still needs the thinning out though.

The Sea Vixen is essential circular in cross section at the radome to fuelage joint with a very smal amoumt of flatteneing off, though still curved at the top. A transition section squares off the sides and top/bottom by the pressurised section.

I have the drawings in front of

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Available for pre-order at HobbyLink Japan

https://hlj.com/product/TRP05808

If you are expecting a bargain, forget it: $63.83 USD; €53.80

Why on earth would you buy a Chinese made kit from a Japanese retailer? Thats just a waste of money. Much, much cheaper to get it from one of the many Chinese ebay stores or wait for it to arrive in the UK. As an example the 48th Hobbyboss MiG-31 is £66 at HLJ before you add shipping, yet is £54 including shipping from China and some UK retailers have it at £45 including shipping. It pays to shop around.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Gary C said:

Why on earth would you buy a Chinese made kit from a Japanese retailer? Thats just a waste of money. Much, much cheaper to get it from one of the many Chinese ebay stores or wait for it to arrive in the UK. As an example the 48th Hobbyboss MiG-31 is £66 at HLJ before you add shipping, yet is £54 including shipping from China and some UK retailers have it at £45 including shipping. It pays to shop around.

Shipping from Japan to the US is typically a lot less than shipping from the UK to the US. I want to see what US retailers will sell the kit for and there is no way I am buying until I see a full review.

I think you'll find the operative part is ordering Chinese made kits from China, not Japan.  Japanese sellers are adding additional markups, so you will pay noticeably more for the same kit vs. ordering from Hong Kong or China.

• Like 1

I doubt if it will be much cheaper if bought in the UK. Factor in the importers charges and, the cost of postage if bought mail order and you probably won't see much change from about £60.

Allan 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Magua87 said:

I would have thought a FAW.1 would have made more sense for Trumpeter; to fill a niche, rather than replicating an existing kit. Perhaps in the fullness of time. 

That would make sense for us, but for Trumpeter's home market I should imagine it isn't that easy to get hold of a second-hand Airfix Sea Vixen (I don't know, just guessing) so I doubt they took the Airfix kit into consideration at all.

• Like 1

On 21/01/2018 at 4:29 PM, planeart said:

i was also responsible for the box art of this subject too!!! Good luck to Hobby boss models!!!

That is a seriously great painting ☺👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

I'm with you Fatal Bert, great artwork.

Thomo.

dear Tomohawk kid...hello!! Thank you also for the nice comments!!! We are all hoping to be a nice kit...i am looking forward to have it when it will be released!!!:thanks:

On 2/2/2018 at 2:16 PM, gunpowder17 said:

Looks good to me.

It does look good, however this is one kit I'm going to wait to see detailed reviews for before I commit to buy. I have unbuilt copies of the Airfix kit and this effort would have to be at least as accurate and materially better in some ways before I'll buy one or two.

Edited by VMA131Marine

Well the panel lines will certainly be finer than Airfix (though it'll probably be riveted, which many will count as a minus).  Plus it will likely be followed up by a -1 in short order.  So there's two material improvements.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ICMF said:

Well the panel lines will certainly be finer than Airfix (though it'll probably be riveted, which many will count as a minus).  Plus it will likely be followed up by a -1 in short order.  So there's two material improvements.

To be honest i find trumpeters panel lines are too fine as in almost non-existent these days , they are to fine to hold a panel wash after airbrush spraying .

• Like 1