Jet powered truck!!

arni

7 minutes ago, richellis said:

I could give it a good home! Want a dismantled harrier for a truck I'm building

Well......I am disabled and house bound but you are in cannock and I am in chester - tattenhall,so if you want to collect it then it is yours.

P M Me if interested.

First of all here are the rest of the engine components.
34s1a1d.jpg

Here are the wheel parts,the wheel centres have  been sprayed with black primer.
69dcav.jpg

She is on her wheels for the first time,found some checker plate that may be used....
33mlbt5.jpg

• Like 2

Started on the engine mounts/cradle,it is sprayed flat black because it is red plastic and I dont want it to bleed through!
2iiwsxe.jpg

Working on the engine too,doing a few electric bits and pipework plus adding a couple of mini thrusters from I think....a DC9.
15xnw5u.jpg

The business end of the engine...
t71wck.jpg

The kit that the engines were half inched from,it was a thing from last year that went wrong decal and paintwise...
kdv7nm.jpg

Looking good so far.

There is another jet truck about in America called Shockwave.

It is based on an older Peterbilt and has three Pratt & Whitney jet engines fitted to it.

I did build a 1/24th scale model of it that was scaled up from an old 1/32nd scale AMT (I think) kit.

If you want any photos etc. of what I did, let me know and I will send you some.

Neil

1 hour ago, neilc69 said:

Looking good so far.

There is another jet truck about in America called Shockwave.

It is based on an older Peterbilt and has three Pratt & Whitney jet engines fitted to it.

I did build a 1/24th scale model of it that was scaled up from an old 1/32nd scale AMT (I think) kit.

If you want any photos etc. of what I did, let me know and I will send you some.

Neil

That would be great Neil,stick them in this thread please.

Here you go Arni.

I'll not put too many to clutter up the thread but these should give you an idea.

PICT1586_zpshlwdkkr6.jpg

PICT1587_zpseufabe7p.jpg

PICT1601_zpsvnozfsbw.jpg

PICT1602_zpsdy64hime.jpg

PICT1624_zpsjm5hlthz.jpg

PICT1625_zpsqwjf7eyl.jpg

The tyres are the old Italeri hard plastic ones from the accessories kit that I sanded down smooth.

Apparently the real one runs on slicks that have been "sanded down" to leave the bare minimum of rubber on them as it has a tendency to depart from the canvas at those high speeds.

The engines are scratch built from various pieces of plastic pipe with a bit of copper added for rigidity.

The frame is just made from various Evergreen strips.

As I said before, I scaled it up from an old 1/32nd scale kit so it probably isn't 100% accurate but it was fun to make.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Got the engine sprayed today,a combination of magnesium,light burnt metal,jet exhaust with the turbine blades in stainless steel.Made a tail pipe and added two extra mini motors to it.
ri5kxy.jpg

23m7mrp.jpg

4tac2d.jpg

• Like 1

Them's the fan blades - turbines are in the hot bit. :)

Kirk

PS/ Airfix didn't detail the fan hub (it is hidden by the intake) but the real one has some fixings to make sure the fan blades don't go awol. Plenty of pictures online.

Gubbins on top of the fan casing is mostly the accessory gearbox (middle) alternators (front with the pipework attached), fuel metering unit (poorly represented on the right hand side) and the starter/APU (back end with the prominent intake and blanked off exhaust). You probably don't need the alternators in your model since you're not powering an aircraft's electrical systems but I s'pose they keep it all looking busy.  The "mini motors" are plausible fuel tanks. Don't leave off the fan nozzles (2 outlets on the side) though; I'd imagine the real engine would lunch itself pretty quickly if nearly half the thrust had nowhere to go...

Point taken Kirk.

Starting on the bodywork as I want it to be streamlined.
2hi11l4.jpg

Going to have a bit of ''whatiffery'' here,so the cab and bodywork are fibreglass and tilt up hotrod style! It is only a mockup here so we shall see..
2wrp27a.jpg

Had an idea bout the fan nozzles: you could angle them up to the sky slightly to give your truck some (adjustable) downforce. This was actually how they did some of the engine test runs at Bristol.

K

PS/ Engine mounting trunnions are just aft of the nozzles. Just had brain fade so can't remember whether they are forward or aft of the firewall. Probably forward makes more sense. In conjunction with a mounting at the rear (the shape of which also eludes me at the mo) that's all you need to hold the Pegasus on to your chassis.

Edited by Kirk
Coz I forgot about the engine mounts.
  • Like 1

On ‎28‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:25 PM, Kirk said:

I seem to recall that Bristol had a design sketch for a VTOL military vehicle that used the Pegasus. Might be in my library  - I'll have a rummage. It was kind of a wingless Harrier that could hop over rivers and the like.

Yep, almost. See Andrew Dow's book page 160-161. Nicknamed "The Flying Pig" the idea was "to provide vertical lift for battlefield materials".  Incidentally the book is ridiculously good value on Amazon (much as I hate advertising for them) at the mo.

Kirk

Got the wheel centres fitted to the alloy rims - just a dab of c.a.
2u3y6tj.jpg

They are now secured to the chassis.
xaoq4w.jpg

Been working on the air intake for the engine,it is a duct from a Supermarine Spitfire. (1:24)
2ex91fn.jpg

It will take a bit of work but hey-ho!
8ygfvn.jpg

• Like 1

Cheers Ken.

Been working in the air intake,the cab roof has had a duct let into it and the cab top has had a roof fitted too.
1z2i1xx.jpg

The air intake has been somewhat cut down.
2u3yvrc.jpg

How it looks now..
2j0kpbk.jpg

• Like 1