Pocher aventador roadster

Adamb691

Hi all. Just setting out on my first big project and I have aimed high with the pocher aventador roadster. I have just in boxed the amazing looking kit, set out a workbench and I am looking at the first step of the manual, daunting but awesome looking thing! Anyone out there with advice for me setting out in this would be great to hear from you. I want to add a few bespoke touches. But need to stay within my novice skill set. What would people recommend?

• Like 1

Welcome aboard. The lambo is a great kit, you will have a blast. Which color did you get?

I would recommend getting the Paul Koo DVD it has a bunch of helpful hints for detailing and fixing problem areas (for example on some kits the wheel wells are too long and interfere with the base plate). A set of taps may be helpful for threading some of the metal parts. You can do it with an extra screw but the tap is easier.  If you search eBay there are some sets designed specifically for the lambo. Tweezers are necessary for the LEDs in the headlamps (beware the carpet monster, it ate a few of mine forcing me to order spares from hornby). A screw starter would be helpful for some of the hard to fit screws if your screw drivers aren't magnetized. I got one after the lambo kit for one of the pocher classics and it is probably my favorite tool now. 

Any questions as as you build please ask. Both Roy and Mr C are master builders so I would recommend checking out their threads. They have a lot of hints that are super helpful. 

Rich

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, rjfk2002 said:

Any questions as as you build please ask. Both Roy and Mr C are master builders so I would recommend checking out their threads. They have a lot of hints that are super helpful. 

Rich

Uh - make that 'struggling builder' for me. Plenty others in 'master' class here.  I have not built a new Hornby sports car so only maybe a generic tip or two from me. I work in the 'old crock' division...:rolleyes:

And from me - also old fogey builder, although I have built the Aventador - coupe.

A tip though. Don't TOUCH the after-market carpet sets.

They are naff and don't fit.

They're no more than a different colour copy of the kit bits, which are awful.

Get some cheapo sticky-back dolls house carpet - a few quid from Ebay - and make a paper/pencil stencil of the actual kit floor.

You'll then see how the kit mats are a joke!

Make your own that actually FIT.

Anyway - that's a way down the line...

Have fun.

Great advice guys thanks. It's the blue roadster model. I have ordered some dolls house carpet now to try my hand at that bit. Also ordered some led's and will attempt installing those later down the road. For the moment I am reading the paul koo guide and started off last night with a simple job. Masking off and Spay painting the dash Matt black, little thing I know but it makes a massive difference vs the out of the box finish. How do you upload pictures here. Sure I am missing the obvious way. Thanks. 

17 hours ago, roymattblack said:

A great kit. You'll love it.

1st major tip - bin the supplied screwdriver and buy a half decent set of mini-drivers.

You'll get some really nice sets for less than £20. Worth the weight in gold.

Roy.

I think I've been done, I didn't get a screwdriver with mine :angry:

I just got my blue Aventador last night, along with Koo's DVD and decals, so I will be following this build with great interest. I found the kit on eBay for $300 less than the asking price, so I made the plunge. The blue metallic finish is excellent! I plan to take my time and add much of the detailing shown in the DVD, and modify the rear end as Roy shows to make it removable. I was planning to get the precut carpet from Mr. Koo as well, but the comments above have given me pause. He does show how to cut out the forms on the DVD.

I just want to add that my comments re: aftermarket carpets and mats refer to the stuff frequently seen on Ebay.

I have no knowledge of Paul Koo's so I won't aim my remarks to him - all of his other stuff is great and very possibly, so are his interior mats.

I'd still go with DIY though for the sake of a few pounds worth of dolls house carpet you can experiment and get your own to fit 'wall-to-wall' as well as being able to carpet any other interior parts you want.

Roy.

Looks like we are starting at the same time vandellyn. Welcome to the thread! I'm gonna make some of the koo mods as well. Not all though as my skill/patience may not be all it needs to be! Gonna make my own carpet, no pre cut pink shag pile kits available on eBay! Just kidding. Sticking with black but I like the idea of making a few hits myself. Is it worth getting the koo decal kit?

Thanks for the welcome, kind of a loner Scot in Texas, so having a group of modelers at hand for advice is very reassuring.

The decal set appears to be worthwhile. I built the Ducati earlier this year, and had issues with manipulating the tiny decals, so I like the Koo set because he provides extra decals if you screw up. The detailing is better too, and the colors are richer. I did consider getting the big transkit, but it costs more than what I paid for the kit, and that money stuff got in the way...

I've been reviewing Koo's DVD in some detail, and there are a lot of parts missing in the kit, like starter motor, oil cooler, etc etc. I have access at work to a high resolution 3D printer (Stratasys Objet30 Pro) which needs test parts printed once a week, so I thought I'd model the parts in Solidworks and print them as the test samples. I'm a design engineer by profession, so I'm very familiar with 3D printing. However, the Lambo parts manual only shows the parts in isometric view, so taking dimensions will be a guess at best. Apart from climbing over a real Lambo, which I doubt the local Lambo dealer will let me do, does anyone know where I could find more detailed drawings? Hmm, they're only a few miles from where I work, might visit them at lunchtime with my trusty ruler and calipers and see what happens.

(Apologies to Adam - I don't mean to hijack your thread, although I like the idea of a shared build adventure)

I don't mind at all vandellyn. Hope someone can help you out. If you do get the programme to print them I would love the file. My brother in law is a 3D printer here in the U.K. He could knock up a set for me! I have my dash and seats painted and assembled today, when I work out how to upload a photo on here from my iPhone I will show my progress. 

6 hours ago, vandellyn said:

Apart from climbing over a real Lambo, which I doubt the local Lambo dealer will let me do, does anyone know where I could find more detailed drawings? Hmm, they're only a few miles from where I work, might visit them at lunchtime with my trusty ruler and calipers and see what happens.

You could do worse than talk to them about what you're doing....what's the worst that might happen? They say no? OR you might be invited in with their blessing.

If you don't ask, you don't get.

NB. I used to sell Objet printers. Very good machines. One of the only ones (at the time) that can print from soft rubber to ABS strength plastic on a single part.

I just purchased two Aventadors on Ebay, an orange coupe and a blue roadster. Couldn't resist the excellent pricing, even with the crappy Canadian exchange rate. As vandellyn said, I'll also be following this build with interest. I also ordered Paul Koo's DVD and uncut carpet piece, and Tremonia's (sp) disk brake etchings. I plan to make my own disks out of aluminum but wanted the PE'd hub detail. Really like the aluminum wheels in the Adventador kit. Can't stand the black paint on the wheels in the orange coupe kit. Those will for sure be painted some sort of proper wheel color silver. 

To stay with the OP's request for recommendations - I'm happy with the quality of the items ordered from Koo and Tremonia and would recommend them. 

A few images of my first couple of steps of the build. It's my first go at this kind of thing (jumped in at the deep end!) so don't look too hard at any mistakes that you see please! 

Masked off the dash to sand and paint the top Matt black: 

IMG_0781.jpg%20

IMG_0764.jpg

Looks so much better painted: 

IMG_0765.jpgNext masked off the switches to get some silver in there:

IMG_0768.jpg

Some more tape to section out the black sections of the switches: 

IMG_0772.jpgLooks ok for a distance!

IMG_0774.jpgMatt black going on some more parts, think I will be getting through a lot of this paint!

IMG_0769.jpgSilver into the wheel, some tricky masking on the switches again.

IMG_0777.jpgDecals start to bring it to life

IMG_0781.jpgWider shot with the silver in the air vents as well

IMG_0779.jpgAdded black control panel to the seats. Was all a bit too beige for me. Will add silver to switch details next. Can't get this seat to fit the base properly. Gaps at the bottom that only fill (partially) by pushing down further and this puts gaps in the top and a peak in the headrest. Any suggestions? IMG_0778.jpgOn to the carpeting and centre consol next, looking forward to it. 

• Like 1

First cock up, tried BMF for first time. Worked great on a test, so went to put a small strip on the centre console which has some plain black switches. It stuck well, everywhere and would not come off! Scrape, sand and respray later it's fixed I think but a real hassle. More practice needed I think! 

7 hours ago, Adamb691 said:

Does anyone know where I can source the following in the uk? Threading taps for the aventador pocher model. 1.8, 2.3, 2.6, 3.0 mm seem to be the sizes needed. I am struggling to get the screws to bite in. Thanks!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/31-Piece-Mini-HSS-Tap-Die-Set-M1-to-M2-5-Watchmaker-Models-Metalwork-UK-/252693827435?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Thanks silver 911. 

A few few more pics today:

sanded out the mold lines from the centre consol and the painted

IMG_0786.jpgIMG_0787.jpgthen I have added silver highlights to seat controls with metal foil

IMG_0788.jpgAnd now onto some diy carpeting. Most satisfying job so far:

IMG_0801.jpgIMG_0802.jpgIMG_0803.jpgIMG_0805.jpglooking good with a bit of £2 dolls house carpet!

• Like 1