Armed Jet Provost and Gunsight

YK GOH

Am planning to build the Airfix Jet Provost in armed configuration that was in service with the South Yemen Air Force.

http://www.acig.info/CMS/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=75&Itemid=1

Photos showed that it carried Sura rockets and I have that in my spares box which comes from the Matchbox Strikemaster kit.

I also noticed that the armed Jet Provost are (obviously) equipped with gunsights above the instrument panel and a standby comapass(?) hanging on its windscreen centre frame.. However photos I'd seen are not in the best resolution and angles to show clearly its construction and arrangement.

Have searched the web, particularly walkarounds and was not able to find any photos or drawings of gunsight or weapon aiming sight on the JP.

Would be most grateful if anyone can lead me to any website that depict this or post photos or drawings.

As a matter of interest, 7 of the South Yemen Jet Provost T.Mk.52s were purchased by the Republic of Singapore Air Force in the early 1970s to supplement the Strikemasters in 130 Squadron.

YK

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tweeky said:

That will be a Strikemaster then.

No, a Strikemaster was based on the JP.5 airframe, those in the link are based upon JP.3 or JP.4 airframes (T.52's being JP.4).

13 minutes ago, tweeky said:

That will be a Strikemaster then.

Errrrrrr,                   No!

As YK says this is a Mk. 52, the export version of the Mk. 3 and fitted for internal gun and underwing rocket armament.  As such it lacked a pressurized cockpit as installed in the Strikemaster which resulted in that type's completely redesigned front fuselage.  The Royal Ceylon Air Force also operated Mk. 52s and/or '53s.

Wez just beat me to it.

Edited by stever219

4 minutes ago, The Wooksta! said:

Nice pics in that link, including a Saudi Lightning T4.

Interesting article, quite detailed and accurate in some areas and yet vague and inaccurate in others, for instance the Lightning T.4 is captioned as being an F.2, whilst the Hunter from one of the most distinctive RAF Sqns is captioned as being from an unknown Sqn (it's a 43 Sqn jet).

John,

Once again you are doing us proud, who knew the little JP could carry so much weaponry?  It might have struggled to get off the ground in hot/high locations with that much under the wings though.:hmmm:

Regarding whether the cockpit photo is showing a Ceylon AF jet, it could be as the one in the background appears to be in Ceylon AF markings, whether the cockpit is from another one of their delivery is a matter of conjecture.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 2

Thanks John,

Those were very informative photos. Looks like the armed JPs has the weapon control panel in between the two sights.

Thanks also for the close-ups of the Sura rocket arrangements on the prototype Strikemaster.

Am glad am on Britmodeller.

YK

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YK GOH said:

Thanks John,

Those were very informative photos. Looks like the armed JPs has the weapon control panel in between the two sights.

Thanks also for the close-ups of the Sura rocket arrangements on the prototype Strikemaster.

Am glad am on Britmodeller.

YK

No problems YK, that's what we are here for!

John

• 2 years later...

May not be on the Jet Provost, but thought I should share this.

A page off the training notes of the Strikemaster Electrical Systems.

Shows the position of the Light Fighter Sight and the Armament Panel.

Mk.84 Cockpit Armament

• Like 3

seeing as this topic has resurfaced, and drifted a wee bit I would like to add some more info, still in keeping I think? I've photographed some pages from the Royle Sudi AF Strikemaster IPC. I hope they will be of interest/help.

bveR0X.jpg

bve4xb.jpg

bveDOf.jpg

bvewK6.jpg

bve7Gp.jpg

bve8cY.jpg

bveK4A.jpg

bveYPG.jpg

bveNFz.jpg

bveVic.jpg

bvef0W.jpg

That's enough for now.

John

• Thanks 1

Thanks John, for sharing the additional information on the armament system of the Strikemaster.

Would you happen to have any drawings/sketches of the LSBC that can be used as a reference for a scratch build?

Edited by YK GOH
Typo

On 3/31/2019 at 7:15 PM, Lord Riot said:

Did Brawdy's T.4s ever carry anything underwing?

I won't say cantagoracaly no, but from what I've seen in my photos it would appear not? 

John

35 minutes ago, perdu said:

Great info John thank you

No problem I hope they are useful?

John

• Like 2

Hi John, thanks again for your generous sharing of the excellent photographs showing the armament fit of the Strikemaster.

I sincerely apologise that I may not have been clearer. 

I was looking for drawings that could be use as a reference to scratch-build the Light Series Bomb Carrier (LSBC), I hope I got the terms correct.

The LSBC is circled in yellow in the photos that you have provided earlier, which already provided quite good visuals.

LSBC_a